Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2018 9:01:34 PM EDT
Got mine in 9mm and I must admit this thing is sweet. Has anyone found a place with the optics plate for trijicon rmr in stock. Everyplace I’ve found seems to be on back order.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just Google it. Everyone, including Amazon is in stock.

Not sure I would have traded a trp for any Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. I had a full rail TRP and miss it every day
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
A 2012 build with finish wear and dead night sights yes... I say a good trade.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m looking for the propriety rmr baseplate from Kimber not the standard trijicon baseplate. This Kimber is outstanding and rmr ready. Check out the link Kimber Pro KHX OR
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn’t have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact Kimber
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear those that say they wouldn’t have. But I see none rail TRPs like mine but in better condition selling for 800-850 all day. A 2018 released gun with beautiful features including optic ready - I’ll take it
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrong move....Kimber is full of crap small parts. The TRP at least has some of the custom shop small parts that are solid.

To me a 1911, unless it's a STI double stack like a CostaComp or Omni, is useless with a milled RMR slot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hear those that say they wouldn’t have. But I see none rail TRPs like mine but in better condition selling for 800-850 all day. A 2018 released gun with beautiful features including optic ready - I’ll take it
View Quote
You did whatever you thought was best, and everyone else can go pound sand.  To answer your question: your best bet is to get ahold of Kimber for the plate.  I didn't even know these KHX models existed, but now that I've googled it for two minutes I can see that the plates incorporate that ridiculously tall rear sight, so they're definitely proprietary.
https://store.kimberamerica.com/khx-optic-plate-trijicon
And out of stock! Where my middle finger emoji?

To parrot what everyone else is, and will be saying: Springfield > Kimber 8 days a week.  For you, you traded in to something with more features and you wanted them, so value-wise, you win.  Hopefully the Kimber works well for you and you have it for a long time. But, a lot of people look at Kimber as a kel-tec of 1911 manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Wise words Sevin... I own a Wilson and 2 DW... I’ve had an aluminum frame Kimber custom Pro carry in 45... I took the Kimber to the range and it went bang every time. BTW 1911s in 9mm should be considered cheating lol
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
My first 1911 was a Kimber. I still have it and it goes bang every time. What people are trying to point out is something I learned as I became more familiar with the platform. Kimber uses lots of cast and MIM parts to make their guns. That is why they are less expensive than comparable models from semi-custom and custom makers.

Kimber has had a shaky history with the quality of their MIM and cast parts. There are good quality cast and MIM parts out there, but in a 1911, a gun that was designed to be made with steel forged and tooled parts, MIM and cast parts are not always ideal, and are known to not hold up as well as forged or tooled steel parts. A Glock was designed to be made with cast and MIM parts, so it is not an issue there, those parts were designed to handle whatever role they have been assigned in the pistol. This is not true with a 1911. They will work, but for how long is anyones guess. There are also bad cast and MIM parts out there. Kimber is known to bring in some bad ones now and again. Because of that I stopped buying Kimbers and keep the one I did buy for the range.

Springfield tends to use more Forged steel parts because of their in house custom shop. A TRP has a decent forged parts count.

The least expensive 1911 you are going to find that is made with 100% forged and tooled steel parts is any Dan Wesson model.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first 1911 was a Kimber. I still have it and it goes bang every time. What people are trying to point out is something I learned as I became more familiar with the platform. Kimber uses lots of cast and MIM parts to make their guns. That is why they are less expensive than comparable models from semi-custom and custom makers.

Kimber has had a shaky history with the quality of their MIM and cast parts. There are good quality cast and MIM parts out there, but in a 1911, a gun that was designed to be made with steel forged and tooled parts, MIM and cast parts are not always ideal, and are known to not hold up as well as forged or tooled steel parts. A Glock was designed to be made with cast and MIM parts, so it is not an issue there, those parts were designed to handle whatever they have been assigned in the pistol. This is not true with a 1911. They will work, but for how long is anyones guess. There are also bad cast and MIM parts out there. Kimber is known to bring in some bad ones now and again. Because of that I stopped buying Kimbers and keep the one I did buy for the range.

Springfield tends to use more Forged steel parts because of their in house custom shop. A TRP has a decent forged parts count.

The least expensive 1911 you are going to find that is made with 100% forged and tooled steel parts is any Dan Wesson model.
View Quote
That's not my problem with Kimber.  My problem with them is their quality control and customer service.  Having sold them for years in a gun shop I got pretty tired of opening up brand new in box guns to find that they had scant fit safeties, or clearly wouldn't cycle well.  Then trying to get them replaced was a pain in the ass. We also had many, many guns on order that took way too long considering these are just production guns and not hand built customs.  Lost a lot of customers to Cabelas and eventually just stopped carrying Kimber.   Now they just look like dressed up turds to me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not my problem with Kimber.  My problem with them is their quality control and customer service.  Having sold them for years in a gun shop I got pretty tired of opening up brand new in box guns to find that they had scant fit safeties, or clearly wouldn't cycle well.  Then trying to get them replaced was a pain in the ass. We also had many, many guns on order that took way too long considering these are just production guns and not hand built customs.  Lost a lot of customers to Cabelas and eventually just stopped carrying Kimber.   Now they just look like dressed up turds to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kimber has had a shaky history with the quality of their MIM and cast parts. There are good quality cast and MIM parts out there, but in a 1911, a gun that was designed to be made with steel forged and tooled parts, MIM and cast parts are not always ideal, and are known to not hold up as well as forged or tooled steel parts. A Glock was designed to be made with cast and MIM parts, so it is not an issue there, those parts were designed to handle whatever they have been assigned in the pistol. This is not true with a 1911. They will work, but for how long is anyones guess. There are also bad cast and MIM parts out there. Kimber is known to bring in some bad ones now and again. Because of that I stopped buying Kimbers and keep the one I did buy for the range.

Working at a Kimber master dealer I have found that to be true to a T.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Jesus, lol I’ll still hold on to this one I really like it. Ordered my rmr plate yesterday - I got an alert that they’re back in stock.

Thanks all for warning me about Kimber. I haven’t had a isssue in the three I’ve owned so I’ll be hard headed on this one... I’ll let you guys no if starts acting crazy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope it runs great. Not all Kimbers are crap but it seems like 25% need more work than they should to get going.

Even then they seem to have higher rates of plunger tubes coming loose and the thumb safety actually breaking which is something I've never seen on any other make.

We're a store/range so I get to know the members and their purchases and how they work, and how to fix them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I would agree with the people/dealers who have/had experience(s) with Kimber 1911 pistols...

First Gen model Kimber 1911's were excellent 1911 pistols with fit, finish, material quality and general
customer service back then !

Now unfortunately, the same does not hold true, fit, finish, and material quality have gone way down
over the years, the same holds true for their customer service...Too bad.

Seems like: Dan Wesson, STI, Les Baer, and a few others (custom and semi custom builders) are the
only single stack 1911's and double stack (STI 2011's) brands worth buying these days that are USA
made and boast very good fit, finish, and material quality...

Good luck anyway with your trade/purchase...
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had to change out the slide stop on every Kimber I've owned. Other than that, they were all good guns. I don't care for the Swartz firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
RMR Mount arrived; to the range we go.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking forward to your range impressions.  I love my RMR 1911s in 9mm, cannot be beat imho (but they are not kimbers).  It looks like Kimber's mount is higher than Trijicons?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking forward to your range impressions.  I love my RMR 1911s in 9mm, cannot be beat imho (but they are not kimbers).  It looks like Kimber's mount is higher than Trijicons?
View Quote
The mount looks way too high. Can you see the iron sights in the window of the RMR? If not, good luck finding the dot. Every pistol I have put an RMR on and did not install tall sights, I struggled to find the dot. Having the iron sights appear in the window let's me know the dot is close by. If I have nothing to lead me, I struggle to find the dot and shoot slower than with my irons. If that mount is too high, and you can't see the irons, you either need a lower mount, of taller sights to get the benefit of using an RMR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 4 pistols with RMRs. The dot co-witness with the tall sights perfectly on this Kimber. The sight picture is on par with my glocks. How can you say it’s too high if you’re only looking at a side view? Come on, I know Kimber can be the butt of jokes, but I put 300 rounds thru this pistol yesterday using only Kimber 9mm mags and all she did was go bang with exceptional groups at 15 yds also.

Quoted:
The mount looks way too high. Can you see the iron sights in the window of the RMR? If not, good luck finding the dot. Every pistol I have put an RMR on and did not install tall sights, I struggled to find the dot. Having the iron sights appear in the window let's me know the dot is close by. If I have nothing to lead me, I struggle to find the dot and shoot slower than with my irons. If that mount is too high, and you can't see the irons, you either need a lower mount, of taller sights to get the benefit of using an RMR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#24]
armann,

I like the look of it! It’s a deal considering what RMR pistols sell for...how grippy is the hex pattern on the slide? Any issues racking the slide with sweaty hands?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#25]
It’s pretty tactile, I don’t see it posing an issue for EDC.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top