Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2018 3:28:44 AM EDT
Recently I had decided that I wanted to start to focusing more on certain handguns instead of just having a little bit of everything. For me, that meant focusing more on Beretta's and 1911's, with a few Glocks thrown in. While some will say it's good to have a variety, I've owned enough different brands to justify my current course.

Had this past week off, so I decided to see what I could find on Armslist locally for trade since I am not wanting to spend alot of money before Christmas. Lucked out finding a Langdon Tactical LTT, but in order to get it had to perform two other trades in order to get the right combination of firearms the seller wanted. The Langdon is everything I want in a Beretta and fits my hand like a glove. After getting it, decided I'd list my Beretta 92D with Wilson Combat upgrades & new Trijicon sights since it had become a safe queen and I'd roll the dice and see what I could possible trade it for.

Had some tire kickers, offers for guns I wasn't interested in, and then the other random offers you'll receive later on Armslist. After several days, received a text from a guy who asked if there was any certain 1911 style I was looking for. After a short conversation, was offered a Federal Ordinance frame with Colt 9mm Commander. Looked at a few pictures of it alongside his Colt Competition and Colt MK IV Officer, but decided I'd pass on it due to the negative reviews I had read on Federal Ordinance. He asked if I was interested in any other firearms, made a few offers but nothing I was interested in. Told him if he was interested in parting with the Colt MK IV Officer, I'd try to make something work.

Surprisingly, heard back from him the next day saying if I would throw in some magazines and a holster, he'd make the deal since he was trying to consolidate into 9mm.  While speaking to him, he sent a few more pictures of the gun along with a list of what work had already been completed on the gun.

Those modifications included:
-Novak night sigts (front is dated 2005 & dead, rear sight is still surprisingly bright)
-Front strap checkered
-Extended thumb safety
-Trigger replacement & possible trigger job
-Full length guide rod installed (Possible Wilson Combat)
-Beavertail safety installed

Even better was he drove from Jacksonville (roughly two hours away from my location) in order to do the trade with me on his way to take his wife to a nice dinner in Raleigh.

Think I got the better end of the deal.  The pistol is very dirty, you can tell it hasn't been detailed stripped in quite some time which I'll try to do over the next few days.  Already installed a set of VZ grips, had to put a SS grip bushing in it cause one bushing came out stuck in the Ergo grip panel when I took it off to inspect the gun.

Have a few questions though
1) I personally prefer Ameriglo sights on my guns, and found here, but would they work on this gun or how could I determine that?
2) The previous owner wasn't original owner nor was he the one who did the customization.  The FLGR is a nice touch, but I don't know what brand it is & I would like to replace my recoil spring cause I don't know the round count on it.
3) From what I read, the bushing on these isn't the greatest. Would it be a good idea to go ahead & replace it with a EGW bushings?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks barely used.   Shoot it and see how you like it as is.  A new recoil spring shouldn’t hurt, but that gun looks like less than 200 rds of use, unless it has been refinished.

I wouldn’t change the bushing, and if I did it would not be a drop in bushing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll try to post pictures of the full length guide rod system later on, mean to do it last night.

Need to try to figure out what replacement spring I need to get.

On all guns i pick up used I try to replace the springs if previous owner doesn't know when they were last replaced just as a precaution. Plus, need for run some rounds through it to make sure everything functions as intended.

Once it goes through some range time with my preferred carry ammunition and at minimum 200 rounds ball I want to add it to the carry rotation
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a good looking gun!
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a good looking gun!
View Quote
Springs and a short trigger would be my only change to it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at those pics closer, WTH happened to that slide.  You know, the part with the hacksaw marks.

Did bubba do some smiffin up there for a recoil assembly “upgrade”?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking at those pics closer, WTH happened to that slide.  You know, the part with the hacksaw marks.

Did bubba do some smiffin up there for a recoil assembly “upgrade”?
View Quote
Just noticed that earlier tonight myself, guy I got it from picked it up at a gun show down in Jacksonville, had no idea who did any of the work
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that slide looks different on a stock colt Officer from that era.

Bubba cut the reverse plug stop off? Or whatever that was right there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a chance to take some pictures of the full length guide rod system

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Good deal!
I have a LW Officers that I'd picked up new, a EGW bushing and guide rod kit worked out well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Had an opportunity to to take out shooting today before another turkey meal. Didn't get much time mainly because I was loosing daylight.

Pistol was accurate, recoil was manageable, and only issue I was on the last round of 4 magazines of JHP the slide didn't fully sit so I had to tap it into battery. I contribute that to not being properly lubed, cause I haven't had a chance to do anything with the gun since I got it minus throwing on the VZ grips and replacing a grip bushing.

I'm planning on still replacing all springs, the MSH, getting new sights, and toying with idea of having it cerakote
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had an opportunity to to take out shooting today before another turkey meal. Didn't get much time mainly because I was loosing daylight.

Pistol was accurate, recoil was manageable, and only issue I was on the last round of 4 magazines of JHP the slide didn't fully sit so I had to tap it into battery. I contribute that to not being properly lubed, cause I haven't had a chance to do anything with the gun since I got it minus throwing on the VZ grips and replacing a grip bushing.

I'm planning on still replacing all springs, the MSH, getting new sights, and toying with idea of having it cerakote
View Quote
I'll bet a nickel that the last round FTRTB was due to an inertia feed.  Next time that happens, ease the slide back and see if the rim of the round is under the extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top