Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2020 3:45:02 PM EDT
Para p12, shooter reports stove pipes and rounds hanging up on feed ramp.  I’m thinking of replacing the recoil spring, mag springs and polishing the feed ramp plus good cleaning and lube.

Any good spots to pickup para parts ?  

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy bought a Para P12 (against my advice) decades ago.  Around 8 - 10 years ago, he asked if I could look at it for the same things you described.  I bought and changed out the recoil spring and mag springs and the problems went away.  Couldn't say if it was the recoil spring, the mag springs, or a combination of both.  I think I bought Wolf springs for them, but couldn't say for sure now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The landfill??
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mattcz:
The landfill??
View Quote

Pretty much !!

I’ll never know how para could fuck up a 1911 so bad...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I would start with recoil springs.

Be careful when polishing a feedramp, don't remove the little ledge at the top of the ramp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Does a p12 use the same recoil spring as an officer’s model ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If that is a live round stovepipe then it's probably due to inertia feeds.  Commonly, inertia feeding can be fixed by replacing the old magazine spring with a new and/or stronger one.  Less commonly, fitting a flat bottom firing pin stop will slow the rearward velocity of the slide which will lessen the impact of the slide against the frame abutment thus reducing the muzzle flip thereby eliminating the inertia feed.  Best solution is to replace the mag spring and fit a flat bottom firing pin stop.

If it's an empty case stovepipe then it's probably due to an extractor problem which may be able to be solved by adding tension to it or fitting a new extractor.  Best solution is to fit a new extractor being sure to address its geometry, deflection, and tension.  Here's a basic tutorial on extractor fitting: LINK.

As for the feeding problem, that could be due to many things but replacing the recoil spring in one of these short 1911s is never a bad idea.  Wolff has recoil springs for the P12.  Standard recoil spring weight is 22lbs.  Wolff also offers an extra power 24lb spring but I'd advise against using it since additional forward speed of the slide may negatively impact reliable feeding.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Hate to muddy all the "Para sucks" responses OP, but you might try Sarco or Gun Parts.

Also: https://www.gunsprings.com/PARA-ORDNANCE/P-12/cID1/mID48/dID193

My P12 still works fine after many years although I will admit that I don't fire too much .45ACP anything these days.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If it still has the OEM Para Extractor in it...might as well get rid of that, too.  I've seen them just "give up" for no particular reason at all.  Well, except for "Para Made".
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
If it still has the OEM Para Extractor in it...might as well get rid of that, too.  I've seen them just "give up" for no particular reason at all.  Well, except for "Para Made".
View Quote

I have no idea if the extractor is para any markings to look for ?  Maybe I’ll just swap it ? Can you recommend a good replacement for a P12?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 1911greg:Can you recommend a good replacement for a P12?
View Quote
EGW makes an extractor specifically for Para pistols with the PXT hole.  I don't know if your pistol has the PXT hole.  I strongly recommend that you call EGW and ask them which of their extractors would be appropriate for your pistol.  They are extremely knowledgeable and friendly.  If you talk to Cody, tell him I sent you.

EGW: https://www.egwguns.com/1911-egw-hd-extractor-oversized-for-use-with-pxt-hole
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If this gun has a ramped barrel, a slight radius at the top of the feed ramp may improve feeding.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
EGW makes an extractor specifically for Para pistols with the PXT hole.  I don't know if your pistol has the PXT hole.  I strongly recommend that you call EGW and ask them which of their extractors would be appropriate for your pistol.  They are extremely knowledgeable and friendly.  If you talk to Cody, tell him I sent you.

EGW: https://www.egwguns.com/1911-egw-hd-extractor-oversized-for-use-with-pxt-hole
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Can you recommend a good replacement for a P12?

@1911greg:  go with what Steve says.  EGW is good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Later Paras had an enlarged extractor tunnel to run Para's proprietary (and widely disliked) PXT extractor.  

PXT on the right, standard 1911 extractor on the left.   EGW sells an insert sleeve for the PXT extractor tunnel that narrows the diameter so that a standard 1911 extractor can be used.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top