Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2023 12:14:58 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a Barsto barrel and they offer semi-fit and match fit. I'm not real clear on the difference other than one might need a gunsmith and the other definitely will. What sort of fitting is needed and why would you choose one over the other?

I really don't want to get into all the upgrades and custom work that is popular with these. Mine shoots great out of the box and it's good enough for me. I don't compete. I just want to suppress it.

I'm assuming the match fit would be the option if you had or wanted the CGW barrel bushing to ensure it's all as good as it can be, but maybe there is another reason I'm not aware of.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a factory threaded barrel fitted to my P01 and mostly the hood and lugs I believe need to be sanded until it locks up. I had a local smith do it for cheap that has a great reputation with cz’s fit mine while he was doing a Cajun pro kit at the same time. He said they are pretty easy to do as long as you go slow. There are also a few pretty decent videos on YouTube about it also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a factory threaded barrel fitted to my P01 and mostly the hood and lugs I believe need to be sanded until it locks up. I had a local smith do it for cheap that has a great reputation with cz’s fit mine while he was doing a Cajun pro kit at the same time. He said they are pretty easy to do as long as you go slow. There are also a few pretty decent videos on YouTube about it also.
View Quote

I'm assuming that was a "semi-fit" barrel vs whatever Bar-sto means by match fit. I'll check with a local gunsmith to see what they would charge to fit either, but just wondering if there is a good reason to opt for one over the other in a non-match pistol.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d say the match fit is more geared toward those chasing accuracy as cz’s have such a cult following for competition and everyone is always looking for an edge on their competitors. You could always email them and ask what would be the best option for your application.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I talked to a local gunsmith. He said just get semi-fit as it would require less work. Match would need more machining.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Bar-Sto has a stellar rep for accuracy. *I* would opt for a match bbl & look at it as an investment in the gun.

No one has ever said, "I wish my gun were less accurate."  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bar-Sto has a stellar rep for accuracy. *I* would opt for a match bbl & look at it as an investment in the gun.

View Quote

Sometimes guys with super tight super accurate pistols have said, "I wish my gun was more reliable"
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sometimes guys with super tight super accurate pistols have said, "I wish my gun was more reliable"
View Quote

All of MY super-accurate guns run like a champ. Doesn't mean they're "super tight" either. Shoot a CZ Custom or Nighthawk to see the difference there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

More "had" than "has" - the last couple of times I went through them I had some issues, including once with a CZ97 barrel. I bouight a semi-fit, and it wouldn't fit at all - in the slide. More than that the barrel threads were so thin that some of them crumbled right off when unscrewing the factory-screwed-on thread protector. I had to ship the works to them for them to fit it, and even though I mentioned the barrel threading issue...they kind of ignored that. I had similar problems with a drop-in BHP barrel that they over-reamed the chamber on; every 5th or 6th shot would be way out of line due to excessive headspace. When I sent it back to them they blamed it on ME, like I was sitting there reaming things in my spare time and ruined their drop-in barrel. It wasn't accurate for shit. I wound up having them send a hard-fit BHP barrel to my gunsmith, who fit it to my BHP.

Sadly there's not a whole lot of players in town making CZ97 barrels, so you roll the dice and take your chances. Same with BHP barrels.

To be fair, the 97 barrel does print where I point it. Frankly, so does the factory barrel...I wouldn't have even considered another barrel for it if I hadn't wanted to put a can on it. The factory barrel, for me, shoots lights out.

Obviously YMMV!
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

More "had" than "has" - the last couple of times I went through them I had some issues, including once with a CZ97 barrel. I bouight a semi-fit, and it wouldn't fit at all - in the slide. More than that the barrel threads were so thin that some of them crumbled right off when unscrewing the factory-screwed-on thread protector. I had to ship the works to them for them to fit it, and even though I mentioned the barrel threading issue...they kind of ignored that. I had similar problems with a drop-in BHP barrel that they over-reamed the chamber on; every 5th or 6th shot would be way out of line due to excessive headspace. When I sent it back to them they blamed it on ME, like I was sitting there reaming things in my spare time and ruined their drop-in barrel. It wasn't accurate for shit. I wound up having them send a hard-fit BHP barrel to my gunsmith, who fit it to my BHP.

Sadly there's not a whole lot of players in town making CZ97 barrels, so you roll the dice and take your chances. Same with BHP barrels.

To be fair, the 97 barrel does print where I point it. Frankly, so does the factory barrel...I wouldn't have even considered another barrel for it if I hadn't wanted to put a can on it. The factory barrel, for me, shoots lights out.

Obviously YMMV!
View Quote

Wow, this is really disappointing to hear. Bar-Sto, Nowlin, Wilson & Kart were the big dogs in aftermarket barrels for a long, long time. Sad to hear what they've dropped to.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Obviously YMMV!
View Quote

Not what I want to hear but thanks for the info. With so few choices not sure what to do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not what I want to hear but thanks for the info. With so few choices not sure what to do.
View Quote

Give CZ Custom a call, see what they can do or say?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously YMMV!

I mean, give them a shot. I'd probably go with sending the gun to them for them to fit it - that seems to generate better results. That way they can't say "you over-reamed the barrel" or any nonsense like that...
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted for Truth...

The only thing I need "Super Tight and Accurate" is the "Snatch I'm a Patchin'"... Other than that... it's likely a reliability problem in the short, medium, and long runnings...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top