Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2020 12:53:15 PM EDT
I've been thinking of picking up a revolver in 327 Federal because of it's multi caliber capability. It can shoot just about any rimmed .32 caliber cartridge, including the semi rimmed .32acp.

A S&W would be optimal, but they are complete unobtanium.  I thought about an SP 101, but have now shifted to the Single Seven, because of my good experience with a Single Six .22LR/.22WMR Convertible that I purchased used several years back.
It has been a solid, reliable shooter, with accuracy that I expected from what is essentially a "plinker" class hand gun, and I like the way it feels in the hand.

Anyone out there have experience with the Single Seven in this caliber?  Good?  Bad?  Ugly?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
In!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I for some strange reason am wanting a 32 H&R  but not really a 327 mag.   Yea I know its a .38 in a .357 proposition but I would rather have a model 16 4”.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and it was one of the first batchs out.
So it had problems which I assume Ruger has fixed by now.
I mostly shoot 32 longs in my 327s.
Single 7, gp100, blackhawk, sp101.
I think my single 7 has a 30 cal barrel or would be better suited to fire 30 cal bullets and not 32.
The real good one out of my 327,s is the sp101.  
All the holes line up, the barrel will pass a 32caliber checker, cylinder gap is minimal.  
It did come with a 180grit scratch finish though and the trigger sounded like nails on a chalk board.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My SP 101 DA trigger is awful.  Just gave the boy a Dan Wesson - it's like butter.

.327 Fed is perhaps the last of the rimmed centerfire cartridges - ever.  It's a good round and I'd expect it to shine in the SP 101.  But 9x19mm, & moon clips, and ammo compatibility...
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know why, but I am mysteriously drawn to the 327 Fed
View Quote
This.

A single seven and a Henry in .327 seem like they'd be a great pair for the woods or camping.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
A 5 1/2" Single Seven been on my wish list for awhile.  Picked up a 5 1/2" Single Six back in high school during the early 80s.  Still shoot that gun nearly everyday whenever I'm home (backyard range).  Been wanting a .32 Fed since it came out as a woods gun.  Got a Lee 90 gr SWC bullet mold that I ordered sometime last year waiting for me at home.  Been toting around couple hundred .32 S&W Long cases since the late 80s that need to be loaded.

CD
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a single 7 and also a sp101 in 327 mag. Ended up selling both of them before shooting them.

I like to handload and tinker quite a bit with that. The cylinder length is shorter on the single 7. You can use standard loads but of you try heavy for caliber bullets you might run into issues.

I was going to run berry's plated 7.62x39 fp bullets and they would fit in the sp101 but not in the single 7. They would only work if I used 32 h&r brass.

Just so you are aware.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know why, but I am mysteriously drawn to the 327 Fed
View Quote

I thought it was long dead.

But Ruger still makes a Single Six/ Seven in it?! I'm intrigued like l haven't been in a long while.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think one of the bird's head grip compact models would be a near ideal wood's gun for around here and I really want one but I just don't want to get into another caliber.  I sold the S&W .32Long I had for the same reason but it was a very easy shooting gun and quite accurate.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the look of the "cowboy" revolvers, but at my age, I want real rear sights, hence the Single Seven or the SP 101 fit my requirements better.

Of course in these silly times, finding anything is difficult.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Ruger Single-Seven in .327.
Mine is stainless w/4.75in barrel.
Overall its a decent gun. Shoots fine. Yes it will fire .32acp reliably.
S&W 32 Long ammo is very soft shooting. The full power .327 ammo is a beast. Lots of recoil, blast and very loud.
I think the gun would benefit from a rubber grip such as an old school Pachmyer or similar. The thin laminate factory grips kinda suck.
A trigger job would be another needed improvement.
After shooting it a while, frankly, I got bored with it. It doesn't do anything a .22 and/or a .38Spec will do.
Been trying to sell it but nobody wants it due to the caliber. They're a difficult sell because of this.
Factory ammo nowadays is extinct.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think one of the bird's head grip compact models would be a near ideal wood's gun for around here and I really want one but I just don't want to get into another caliber.  I sold the S&W .32Long I had for the same reason but it was a very easy shooting gun and quite accurate.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/70832/8163_jpg-1758989.JPG
View Quote
I've thought that either this, or the bisley grip, would be the ones to have.  Maybe the bisley for better target shooting and adjusting the sights for whatever caliber is available in the future.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought a single 7 and also a sp101 in 327 mag. Ended up selling both of them before shooting them.

I like to handload and tinker quite a bit with that. The cylinder length is shorter on the single 7. You can use standard loads but of you try heavy for caliber bullets you might run into issues.

I was going to run berry's plated 7.62x39 fp bullets and they would fit in the sp101 but not in the single 7. They would only work if I used 32 h&r brass.

Just so you are aware.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Ruger Single-Seven in .327.
Mine is stainless w/4.75in barrel.
Overall its a decent gun. Shoots fine. Yes it will fire .32acp reliably.
S&W 32 Long ammo is very soft shooting. The full power .327 ammo is a beast. Lots of recoil, blast and very loud.
I think the gun would benefit from a rubber grip such as an old school Pachmyer or similar. The thin laminate factory grips kinda suck.
A trigger job would be another needed improvement.
After shooting it a while, frankly, I got bored with it. It doesn't do anything a .22 and/or a .38Spec will do.
Been trying to sell it but nobody wants it due to the caliber. They're a difficult sell because of this.
Factory ammo nowadays is extinct.
View Quote

I have the same revolver in the blued finish, and I'll second the majority of this. 327 magnum loads out of it are no joke; I'd put it on the same level as 357 magnum, with the blast being slightly worse. I ended up settling on an upper end handload for 32 H&R magnum with cast bullets, and that seemed to be the sweet spot for me. It's got a little over a thousand rounds through it now, and I'd still be shooting it quite a bit if the primer situation was better. The trigger does suck out of box, but you can make it tolerable by removing one of the grip panels and setting one of the legs of the trigger return spring off of It's post.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both the sp101 and the GP100 in .327 federal mag. they both have smooth triggers and single actions are really smooth. both are very accurate. I use them to shot steel plates at my range. the GP100 is more comforable for a lot of shooting(because its heavier) but the SP101 would be a great carry gun, and they are both quite accurate. I also reload for them. Meiters bullets powder coats my bullets and I have them resized to .313 dia. I only reload .32 mag and 327 fed. brass.  and I load all to about what is a 32 H&R mag. load.(about), and yes, I know about all the .32 sizes but I have too much other brass laying around to try to keep four kinds brass for one caliber. I do like single action but i"m not sure about a ruger in .327 mag. but I'd really like a smith in .32. (yea, and people in he** want ice water too) "O" I shoot the steel plates in double action(thats how good my  triggers are)
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  I have both the sp101 and the GP100 in .327 federal mag. they both have smooth triggers and single actions are really smooth. both are very accurate. I use them to shot steel plates at my range. the GP100 is more comforable for a lot of shooting(because its heavier) but the SP101 would be a great carry gun, and they are both quite accurate. I also reload for them. Meiters bullets powder coats my bullets and I have them resized to .313 dia. I only reload .32 mag and 327 fed. brass.  and I load all to about what is a 32 H&R mag. load.(about), and yes, I know about all the .32 sizes but I have too much other brass laying around to try to keep four kinds brass for one caliber. I do like single action but i"m not sure about a ruger in .327 mag. but I'd really like a smith in .32. (yea, and people in he** want ice water too) "O" I shoot the steel plates in double action(thats how good my  triggers are)
View Quote

Weird.  My SP 101 DA trigger feels worse than my son's Charter Arms Southpaw DA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Every few years I get interested in .327, as its an awesome cartridge.

The problem is, projectile selection in the .32 caliber zone sucks. Like totally sucks.

Midway lists the 85+100gr XTP and the 90gr Sierra Sportmaster as the last remaining .32 JHP's in production. And both are limited production batch runs.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just so you are aware.
View Quote

@yamahawarrior89
Can you fit 125gr swc?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@yamahawarrior89
Can you fit 125gr swc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you are aware.

@yamahawarrior89
Can you fit 125gr swc?

You can use the Rimrock 125gr SWC here:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-32-keith-swc-125-gr-per-500.html

Case length for 327 mag is 1.2", crimp groove to nose is .244", oal would be 1.444". The max OAL for the single seven is 1.5", discussed here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348044-Single-Seven-question

I was playing with hornady .311" v-max 123gr bullets with the tip removed. Also loaded some 170gr .321" Rimrock bullets that I resized to .312". They didn't fit in the single seven but did fit the sp101. I don't remember if I needed shorter brass though to run these. I didn't keep notes of that stuff and sold everything before trying them out. I think I'd like to get a GP100 or sp101 and try again if things ever calm down in the gun industry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was playing around a while ago using some 147 gr. JHP. What I found was these are much too long to fit in the .32 Single Six, whether using brass for .32 Mag or .32 SW-L.

I have some 123 gr. bullets for 7.62x39, but they’re not really any shorter.

In a gun with a longer cylinder, there might be something to it.

https://i.imgur.com/yObdZNF.jpg
View Quote

Rechambered Contender

CD
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
great gun man, have you been on gunspot or heard about them i think ive seen a few of those on the site but they have some great deals going on and I feel they are better then gun broker.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
great gun man, have you been on gunspot or heard about them i think ive seen a few of those on the site but they have some great deals going on and I feel they are better then gun broker.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm intrigued by .32s, because some dies and brass were in a bunch of reloading stuff I bought. If I find a Dan Wesson or GP100 for the right price, I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You can use the Rimrock 125gr SWC here:

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-32-keith-swc-125-gr-per-500.html

Case length for 327 mag is 1.2", crimp groove to nose is .244", oal would be 1.444". The max OAL for the single seven is 1.5", discussed here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348044-Single-Seven-question

I was playing with hornady .311" v-max 123gr bullets with the tip removed. Also loaded some 170gr .321" Rimrock bullets that I resized to .312". They didn't fit in the single seven but did fit the sp101. I don't remember if I needed shorter brass though to run these. I didn't keep notes of that stuff and sold everything before trying them out. I think I'd like to get a GP100 or sp101 and try again if things ever calm down in the gun industry.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/20210114_092529_jpg-1778771.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/20210114_094420_jpg-1778772.JPG
View Quote

Cool, rimrocks my go to bullet supplier
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Id love a 5.5 in.   That would be a perfect woods gun.  
If I could hunt with one here (state land rimfire only) I'd probably have one.  
Quoted:
This.

A single seven and a Henry in .327 seem like they'd be a great pair for the woods or camping.
View Quote

Except for the Henry part.  That rifle weighs 2lbs too much.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

It's astonishing how they manage to cram 2 more pounds of weight into one of those, isn't it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's astonishing how they manage to cram 2 more pounds of weight into one of those, isn't it?
View Quote

Smaller bore, less metal to remove hence heavier.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top