Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2020 6:21:20 PM EDT
Took a couple pics and made some measurements of the firing pin area of this pistol. If you take a look at the breach face you can see where the cartridge sits and it is obvious that the firing pin is just barely catching the edge of the rim.

Using my caliper micrometer and measuring from the bottom of the slide I get .420 at the middle of the firing pin hole and .270 at the rear in the center of the firing pin. Gives me a fifteen hundredths slope upward from the rear of the firing pin channel to the front. Given that angle and where the pin is hitting the rim of the cartridges, I am not surprised at all that light strikes are a problem.

Going to send the pictures and measurement info to Ruger and see what they say.

ETA:

Looking at the hammer on this pistol, it hits just below the centerline on the back of the firing pin. So moving that end of the channel upwards would cause problems with ignition. I wonder if the channel has just a bit too much upward slope in it. There is room at the rear of the frame for a slightly longer hammer which would hit higher on the firing pin. Interested in hearing what Ruger says.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All well and good.  Show the rim strike on fired and misfired cases.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The strikes look identical to me on both misfired and fired. I will try and remember to grab some cases next time I go to the range with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I always suprised that rimfire pistols dont have bigger firing pins.   Like maybe a forked end that hits two spots on the rim instead of one
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a reply from Ruger on my Customer Service Issue that I input at the Ruger website. Received a email asking me to call in. Did so and was basically told that these pistols have a break in period and I should try various types of ammo and when I have run 500rds through it call back if I am still having problems. 500rds sounds a bit excessive for a break in period to me, but we shall see.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
What percentage of light strikes are you seeing?

I’m assuming you’ve given everything a deep cleaning?  Can you easily get access to the striker channel to insure there is no crud or burrs impeding the striker?

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The only thing I have not gotten into is the striker channel. Meant to but just have not done it yet.

I had some older hi vel ammo that had about a 80% failure rate but that might just be the ammo. I have it in the range bag and plan to take my S&W Model 18 with me next time to see how it works in a revolver. The recommended CCI Mini Mags had a average between 1 and 2 per mag. I never got through a mag without a failure.

This is the first semi .22 that I have seen with a angled striker/firing pin channel. I really wonder about that, especially since it looks like the tip of the striker is barely catching the rim. I will pull the striker and see what there is to see in the channel. I have some time, even though we are considered "essential personnel" and are still working. Just not as many calls coming in these days.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to hear this.  

I love my LCP 22.  Its been extraordinarily reliable.
Close to 1k rds thru it.  Only 5 or 6 times it didnt go bang.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top