Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2021 3:17:27 PM EDT
Local Sportsman’s has a Colt Government Classic in 45 for $920. I’ve been jonesing for a 5” 1911 in 45 for awhile...
Are these good guns, is the price reasonable, and would the staked front sight be easily changed out to something with tritium? Beyond changing the sights and grips, I’d keep it stock.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one briefly. It was a nice gun, but I wouldn't pay that for it. You can get the front sight replaced with a tritium sight that is dovetailed in. I'm going to go that route with my Springfield Milspec. Speaking of the Springfield Milspec, you can get them for $599 right now.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/706397926588
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the Colt.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Local Sportsman’s has a Colt Government Classic in 45 for $920. I’ve been jonesing for a 5” 1911 in 45 for awhile...
Are these good guns, is the price reasonable, and would the staked front sight be easily changed out to something with tritium? Beyond changing the sights and grips, I’d keep it stock.
View Quote

I have one and like it.  It has a match grade barrel.  I can't see how you could go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the colt.  I think they were going for a bit less before the election craziness.  But, everything cost more now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#5]
All my Colt 1911 have worked well and work hard.

If you are just craving a govt 1911, get the Colt. It's the real deal.

If you are starting a collection, get the Colt. Because its the real 1911.

If you are buying one to tinker with and learn with, get the Colt, it's made to standard specifications and is a perfect platform to grow with.

Get the Colt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Replacing a staked front sight, is not something most users have the tools to do. add on about another 100+ for machining and reblue of the slide.

Unless your in love with My Little Pony, you can do better on price with another brand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless your in love with My Little Pony, you can do better on price with another brand.
View Quote

You can probably do better on price with that exact brand? Unless prices have gone crazy because of the CZ thing, Colt 1911C's were in the $700 range last year and I've seen them as low as $650. I think they are cool 1911's but not $900 cool. For that kind of money you should be able to find a Colt Competition model which has a lot of upgrades over the classic series.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can probably do better on price with that exact brand? Unless prices have gone crazy because of the CZ thing, Colt 1911C's were in the $700 range last year and I've seen them as low as $650. I think they are cool 1911's but not $900 cool. For that kind of money you should be able to find a Colt Competition model which has a lot of upgrades over the classic series.
View Quote

Supply and demand, prices on everything are up from last year, if you can find it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
My thoughts on the word "classic" and anything 1911 is 'hammer bite', and 'only feeds hardball ammo'.

I prefer a well optioned 1911.

Tritium front sights are not easily staked, as the vials are extremely easy to crack, resulting in a dead sight within 24 hours, I have seen me do it.  I will always send off a 1911 slide if I need it staked.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine OP, but paid considerably less about a year ago. With the panic going on now I'd expect to pay more. It's a great gun without the doodads. If you feel you need checkering/beavertail/new sights/etc. you should probably look elsewhere.

As far as I'm concerned it has everything I want.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Supply and demand, prices on everything are up from last year, if you can find it.
View Quote

With regards to price, that has not been my experience. Yes, inventory is low and some models are hard/very hard to find but I have bought over a 1/2 dozen handguns over the last year (some online, some in person) and none of them at an inflated price.

Well I guess that's not entirely true. There was one I paid a little more then I should have for because it was a discontinued model that I had been searching a while for and I was tired of looking so I paid a little more then it was worth just to get it and move on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With regards to price, that has not been my experience. Yes, inventory is low and some models are hard/very hard to find but I have bought over a 1/2 dozen handguns over the last year (some online, some in person) and none of them at an inflated price.

Well I guess that's not entirely true. There was one I paid a little more then I should have for because it was a discontinued model that I had been searching a while for and I was tired of looking so I paid a little more then it was worth just to get it and move on.
View Quote

Maybe it’s location. In VA, privates sales for everything is inflated to varying degrees. $650-$700 for a Glock, $900-$1000 and up for any Colt 1911 I’ve seen. Asking prices for used Berettas have gone to $600-$650.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I really don't understand the lack of availability and higher pricing of 1911's. Higher capacity guns are what the left is after.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really don't understand the lack of availability and higher pricing of 1911's. Higher capacity guns are what the left is after.
View Quote

I think a lot of it first time buyers. Some are buying anything they can find in stock. Snub nose revolvers are crazy as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

FIFY.

I believe that Colt prices are beginning to be (even further) inflated by the 'It's a pre-CZ Colt, a collector's piece!' bug.  Much like one seller online is hyping the 'Biden is going to end online gun sales!' mantra.

But, what the hell do I know?  I'm not currently in the US and only know what I see online.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate all the insight. Still mulling it over.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe that Colt prices are beginning to be (even further) inflated by the 'It's a pre-CZ Colt, a collector's piece!' bug.
View Quote

I'm starting to see that too. Some people will try to throw whatever BS they can against a wall to see if it will stick if that means they can ask more $ for something then its actually worth. I crack up at all the EE posts asking stupid money for items and trying to justify it by claiming the item is "rare" but hey, capitalism!

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Colt Model 70 in stainless 5 years ago from the local gun shop on an impulse layaway buy for $1100.00.

Despite overpaying for it, I like it and have carried it concealed quite a few times but the weight after a while leads me to put it back in the safe. Never a malfunction with it.

I have hammer bite scars and thought about a dovetail hammer but my hands are scarred up anyways and no one notices but me.

I'd buy the Colt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Get it and send it to Nighhawk for the basic old school cool package
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a Colt Model 70 in stainless 5 years ago from the local gun shop on an impulse layaway buy for $1100.00.

Despite overpaying for it, I like it and have carried it concealed quite a few times but the weight after a while leads me to put it back in the safe. Never a malfunction with it.

I have hammer bite scars and thought about a dovetail hammer but my hands are scarred up anyways and no one notices but me.

I'd buy the Colt.
View Quote

The older 70 series reproductions are commanding premium prices these days. I have a couple from the old custom shop blue box days sitting in the safe. This is back when they still had the polished flats.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The older 70 series reproductions are commanding premium prices these days. I have a couple from the old custom shop blue box days sitting in the safe. This is back when they still had the polished flats.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/134638/EA2335A4-A98D-4B1E-909F-B261866FC13C_jpe-1892407.JPG

View Quote
I had a couple of those back in the day.

Attachment Attached File

One of them came with this.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/134638/EA2335A4-A98D-4B1E-909F-B261866FC13C_jpe-1892407.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_1323_JPG-1892444.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_1061_JPG-1892441.JPG

custom shop work right there....Im hoping CZ can bring some 1990’s QA to Colt .....
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

custom shop work right there....Im hoping CZ can bring some 1990’s QA to Colt .....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Half WWI rounded, half later squared. What's the problem? Best of both worlds, right there.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,  that's typical Colt Q.C. ... these days anyway. Geez-Louise!  

That never happens with my Glocks.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Sportsman’s was having their balloon sale today, and the Colt was still there. I got it for 10% off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sportsman’s was having their balloon sale today, and the Colt was still there. I got it for 10% off.
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good deal. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#28]

The flats look like that on my SS 70 series - still at the gunsmith waiting to be welded up and recut and finished.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#29]
That would not be a bad price for about any Colt 1911, I just picked up a new Springfield 4 inch operator the champion model with night sights 950. they had a Colt full size light weight with novac sites etc 1100
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone already said it, but I believe there is a lot of truth to it.  There will be future additional value to the gun simply for being a "Pre-CZ" Colt.  Now personally, I think Colt quality has been slipping for a long time and I do believe there are better dollar for dollar guns than Colts.  But there is just something to be said about Colt and their ability to hold their value.  

Congrats on the purchase.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FIFY.

I believe that Colt prices are beginning to be (even further) inflated by the 'It's a pre-CZ Colt, a collector's piece!' bug.  Much like one seller online is hyping the 'Biden is going to end online gun sales!' mantra.

But, what the hell do I know?  I'm not currently in the US and only know what I see online.
View Quote

Which is just silly.  Smith has been through a half dozen ownership changes in its history.  Ruger ownership today is completely different than thirty years ago.  Winchester ownership has been all over the place.  Has zero effect on the collector's market.  If any thing CZ should improve Colt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Which is just silly.  Smith has been through a half dozen ownership changes in its history.  Ruger ownership today is completely different than thirty years ago.  Winchester ownership has been all over the place.  Has zero effect on the collector's market.  If any thing CZ should improve Colt.
View Quote

+1
Even Colt had been changing hands several times before CZ deal. It's more of sentimental thing that lots of gun owners in US still cannot accept the fact that a former foreign state-owned gun company is now taking over iconic American "premium" firearm maker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top