Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2022 4:54:21 PM EDT
I just bought one at an estate sale auction for $675 and am having second thoughts/regrets. I am a semi auto guy and don't know anything about revolvers at all. I also didn't realize it was scandium and titanium. Do these hold up well, durability wise? Unpleasant to shoot? I can't pick it up until Monday, so I haven't seen it in person yet. It looked like it is LNIB and comes with all of the original stuff, but is there anything specific I should look for to determine it's overall condition. Thanks!

Pic from auction
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
People will line up to offer you more than you paid for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Scandium snubbies in 357 mag, shooting full-house load, are the most unpleasant handguns I've ever shot.  

And I'm not recoil-averse.  I shoot full-power 10mm out of a subcompact G29, and 700-grain loads out of my 500 magnum.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scandium snubbies in 357 mag, shooting full-house load, are the most unpleasant handguns I've ever shot.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I have heard. I didn't realize it was a scandium frame until after I bid and won.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
1400 new.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, if you decide you don't want it you will have no problem selling for several hundred dollars more than you paid.

Nice score!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And I'm not recoil-averse.  I shoot full-power 10mm out of a subcompact G29, and 700-grain loads out of my 500 magnum.
View Quote

Scandium .44 mag says hold my beer
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be a handful with magnum loads and those grips.    

You need to make sure to use crimped bullets or you will get them walking out at times.  

I tend to load these up with 38 spec gold dots.  

Assuming its cut for clips, you will want to get several along with a loading, unloading tool if that wasn't in the box.  

The only thing I've found with these modern S&W's is they usually need some lube on that stupid safety thing where it drags on the hammer and are generally pretty dry inside if they haven't been taken apart.   Quality moly on internals.  

Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll give you $700
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s a cool revolver.  I would have jumped all over that for $675.  Also based in the carbon on the front of the cylinder it’s definitely been fired.  Doesn’t look excessive at all though.  I’d load that baby up with some 158gr SWC’s in 38 special and be very happy.

Also, if you aren’t a reloader, you should start.  Revolvers are awesome to reload for.  38/357 is a super easy round to load.  Very rewarding versus factory loads.  03RN has done some great work with 38/357.  I’m just a piker…..
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll give you $700
View Quote

Yes, you did really well at that price!
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Some cleaning solvents can damage scandium, there’s mention of this in the owners manual
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have NO want of a Scandium frame .357 mag and even I would have jumped on it for that price.  You can shoot .38 spec +P out of it and have a fantastic carry gun.  Or you can just load it with magnums and have fun shooting it occasionally.  Or you can sell it for a profit.  Either way...don't regret it at all, you won.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s a pretty awesome revolver and you got it at a great price!

N frame 8-shot will make it easier to shoot than a J frame. There plenty of good reviews of them on YouTube. It will be cut for moon clips.

I was considering one and ended up going with the 686x7 PC as the frame was a little smaller for carry.
At that price the 327 would have won.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a 327 and I like it. The factory grips extended past the back of the grips frame. S&W sent another set and they fit the same way. I read that the grip frame was closer to K frame than N frame so I installed Houge K frame grips. I have shot it with 357 now I use Gold Dot 38 +P.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]

For some reason I didn’t know a snubnose version existed.  

That’s awesome.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally picked it up. It's pretty cool. Crazy how light it is, and the trigger is awesome. I've never felt a DA trigger that good .

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That’s awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s awesome.

Me either. There have been a ton of obscure, short run smiths though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to the N Frame Master Race.

I have a very early Thunder Ranch Model 22 in .45, and a Model 28 4" Highway Patrolman.  The Triggers on both are outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

sometimes

Attachment Attached File
The Smith 386 is not half bad

Attachment Attached File
The 360 hates you and makes you hate yourself

I've always wanted a 327
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Finally picked it up. It's pretty cool. Crazy how light it is, and the trigger is awesome. I've never felt a DA trigger that good .

https://i.imgur.com/78w3AZQ.jpg
View Quote

S&W's Performance Center definitely knows how to make a good trigger.  The trigger on my factory GP100 Wiley Clapp is nice but the trigger on my S&W 629 PC V-Comp is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks very nice. I'm not sure why everybody is telling you how the recoil is going to be rough and then describe 38/357mag recoil. You did not purchase that caliber. You purchased a .327 which has a fair amount less recoil and will be perfectly comfortable to shoot in a snub nose. I think you did quite well with that purchase. The lighter material really isn't a bad thing in that caliber. Yes, a scandium or other lighter alloy would be questionable in 38/357mag, but not in .327.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I’d absolutely love to have that revolver. Especially in 327. Great win, op. It’s worth much more than you paid for it.

Also, how’d you learn about the auction?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s a .38sp/.357 mag not .327 Federal. I would be all over a model 327 in .327 Fed. Nice gun OP, recoil shouldn’t be that bad with the right grips, especially compared to a 340pd, and even those aren’t too bad with medium or “low recoil” .357 loads or 38 +ps
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's the snub, it'll be a bit of a handful with magnums but fine with 38s. The standard barrel 327 is fine even with normal magnums, not as nice as a steel gun but not painful or anything. Long term durability is less than a steel gun but not awful unless you feel the need to run hundreds of hot magnums through it. If you don't plan to carry it, sell it for twice what you paid for and get a gun you prefer. <$700 for any of the scandium S&W guns is a great deal.

I'd definitely pay $700 for the full-length barrel 327 just to have one. I already have a 340 (scandium jframe .357mag) so I've no need for a bigger snub.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That’s awesome.
View Quote

Never say never with Smith.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Is anyone carrying one of these? Recommendations for holster/reload setup?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I purchased a 327 and I like it. The factory grips extended past the back of the grips frame. S&W sent another set and they fit the same way. I read that the grip frame was closer to K frame than N frame so I installed Houge K frame grips. I have shot it with 357 now I use Gold Dot 38 +P.
https://i.imgur.com/xzf1JFu.jpg
View Quote

There's very, very little difference between K/L gripframe and modern N gripframe. I've used several sets of rubber K/L stocks on N's. Sometimes just stretch on, sometimes I've had to warm them up a bit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top