Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 6/15/2020 9:46:46 PM EDT
I currently own an FNP 9 and 45. I love both of these guns. The 9 is one of my most accurate handguns I have ever owned and shot and the 45 is the only double stack 45 that feels great in my hand. Now, on to the 40's. I owned an FNP 40 a year or so ago and have to tell you, I did not like it. I have owned many 40 S&W handguns and currently have an M&P Compact 2.0, and SW99, a G22 and 23, both Gen 4's. NO ISSUES with those guns. The FNP? It felt like what all the whiners complain about the 40-snappy recoil and not comfortable to shoot too. Sooo, is the long slide better at helping tame a bit of the recoil? I know its only one half an inch longer with the barrel, but is that enough to change the way the gun shoots? I understand that recoil is subjective, but I don't want to waste my money and find out the long slide FNS 40 shoots the same as the FNP 40.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of things I like about the FNS pistols.  All mine are .40's.  It's a long list of likes.  Over shadowed by the one dislike that keeps me from buying more.  They don't shoot groups I find acceptable.  Better than some pistols.  Not as good as my EDC P07 though.

Mine (the long slide and the 4") do their best with Winchester 180 grain hollow points.  The Winchester 180 grain FMJ shoots about the same.  None of the same bullet weight or lighter Federal, Remington or my reloads shoot as well as those Win. 180's.

The trigger will take some getting used to.  True DA striker fired pistol.  Not one that calls itself DA and the only striker rearward movement is due to the small amount of movement as the sear is pivoted downwards at the rear as the trigger is pulled (to release the sear.)  The FANS pistol sears slide rearwards (moved by the trigger bar) a good ways to cock the striker before the back pivots downward to release the striker.  If you practice stopping the forward trigger movement when you hear/feel sear reset you won't notice the long, draggy rearwards trigger movement much, if at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I finally dropped the hammer and picked one up today. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend or next week to take her to the range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!  I like the FNS 40. Let us know how you like it once you get it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with it.  I think you'll find it reliable as hell.  If you practice/learn to not let the trigger go too far past reset as you release it then the long heavy draggy trigger pull isn't nearly as noticeable.

If you find some ammo that shoots good in yours, let us know.

I've gotten no where (so far) in finding, or reloading, ammo that shoots better groups in it.  Partly my fault as it's been too darn hot to get out there in the shed and reload.  Fall is coming though.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top