Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2022 4:15:33 PM EDT
Is the safety plunger tube. I’ve got a Springer Champion that had one work loose 20-25 years ago. I was broke and didn’t have a reliable gunsmith close by so I ‘fixed’ it with some epoxy. It’s held up fine thru 10’s of thousands of rounds. Until this week. I had the frame and slide ceracoated recently and suspect the heat may have weakened the epoxy. At any rate when I was cleaning it, I noticed it was wobbling and ready to fail.  The posts are shot and the tube needs to be replaced with new.

Since I’ve just had the slide cut for optics and am in the process of building confidence to put it back in my carry rotation I’m going to suck it up and do it properly this time. So yesterday I ordered the Brownells swager and a new plunger tube. I know I need to use a small grinder ball to slightly relieve the holes inside the frame so there’s clearance for the posts to upset into. Is there anything else I should do to make this new tube as failure proof as possible??

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
And the capacity. Otherwise there wouldn’t even be other platforms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest flaw in the 1911 design that really shows it age is the magazine. Go watch a bunch of guys shooting a qual course and almost all the 1911 failures will be mag related.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure how your swag tool works but I suspect you need to support the tube in some fashion so that it is not crushed.  I use a # drill bit that will just fit the plunger hole.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The brownells swager comes with a filler for the tube as well as a support block. It’s not cheap but looks to be decently complete. I could’ve likely let a gunsmith do the job for slightly less than the cost of the swager but worst case I can use it and then sell it without a huge loss. But then too, I don’t mind doing things myself and have found the hard way that good, proper tools are worth having.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Just as a "Belt and suspenders" technique, before crimping the new tube in place, use 91% alcohol or Acetone to degrease the frame, the tube, and the holes in the frame, and coat with Loctite Red.
Then crimp, wipe off the excess and let cure 24 hours, then clean up any excess uncured Loctite.

The plunger tube is a "weakness" only when people don't do a correct installation......Just like staked front sights.  Do it right and it's a life time job.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m all about doing the job properly this time so I’ll pick up some red locktite before I start the install. Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just as a "Belt and suspenders" technique, before crimping the new tube in place, use 91% alcohol or Acetone to degrease the frame, the tube, and the holes in the frame, and coat with Loctite Red.
Then crimp, wipe off the excess and let cure 24 hours, then clean up any excess uncured Loctite.

The plunger tube is a "weakness" only when people don't do a correct installation......Just like staked front sights.  Do it right and it's a life time job.
View Quote

Agree, red loctite.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure the tube is fully seated before you swage it. Any compression-expansion process will NOT seat the parts as you press it,  and you can lock it in crooked.

Otherwise, just use the right tool for the job and you're golden.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Hummm excellent point. I’ll take special care to insure it’s seated solidly BEFORE I do the swaging. Very glad for y’all’s help and advice. Especially since this’ll be a carry gun I want it 100% solid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I greatly appreciate the offer but I’ve already got the brownells tool on the way. Many thanks for the offer!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Caspian/Fosters has the plunger tube cast into the frame. No swedging needed.

It is an option I should say.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Properly cut grips provide extra insurance as well by helping hold the tube in place in the event of a stake failure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Properly cut grips provide extra insurance as well by helping hold the tube in place in the event of a stake failure.
View Quote

This, and I think Springfield might use an MIM plunger tube but I could be wrong.   In some ways it is good the part is replaceable, such as if it is damaged it can be replaced.  EGW makes a bolt-on plunger tube, but that may require modification to your fame and grips.    

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
A forged frame may be more complicated with a integral plunger tube as well and require more machining than needed now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Check the holes in the frame to make sure they have a little chamfer on the inside for the metal on the legs to displace into when you stake it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I did and they were chamfered. Used red locktite and staked the pins nice and snug.  Seems like it came out solid and I’ve been carrying it daily. Thanks for the headsup though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is the safety plunger tube. I’ve got a Springer Champion that had one work loose 20-25 years ago. I was broke and didn’t have a reliable gunsmith close by so I ‘fixed’ it with some epoxy. It’s held up fine thru 10’s of thousands of rounds. Until this week. I had the frame and slide ceracoated recently and suspect the heat may have weakened the epoxy. At any rate when I was cleaning it, I noticed it was wobbling and ready to fail.  The posts are shot and the tube needs to be replaced with new.
View Quote

My Champion from that era (1996) suffered from the same issue.
A few years back I replaced the tube.
Like dfarriswheel said above, loctite and proper staking make it a solid fix.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I just need a clarification here.

You didn't install it correctly.
It lasted two decades and tens of thousands of rounds.

And you want to call it a weakness?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Happy to clarify. I consider it a weakness because when/if it fails, it can render the weapon inoperable at a potentially very urgent time.  And yes I recognize this same criteria could apply to many many parts. This was simply something that’s occurred to me (fortunately during practice only) twice.

In all my shooting history I’ve actually experienced VERY few parts failures. And I’m talking between 1/2 and 3/4 million rounds of handgun shooting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not sure how your swag tool works but I suspect you need to support the tube in some fashion so that it is not crushed.  I use a # drill bit that will just fit the plunger hole.
View Quote

You need to put a drill bit that fits tight down the tube base first (don’t know the size of the top of my head) to keep it from getting crushed or dented
How you open up the pins can be a swage tool or a dog leg punch that has a cut out so it can reach around the rail and get a good hit inside the frame

I have JB welded one one a beater gun before, it is still running and you can’t see it at all.
Degrease tube and frame first and clamp for 24 hours
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of this.

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The biggest flaw in the 1911 design that really shows it age is the magazine. Go watch a bunch of guys shooting a qual course and almost all the 1911 failures will be mag related.
View Quote

I concur with this. Keeping a 1911 running is about getting a quality magazine that is reliable and maintains it's reliability over use. The calibers and sizes that aren't as popular have a harder time with this than the ones that are more mainstream. Your best bet is a fullsize in 45.  Getting a Super mag or officers sized 9mm mag that is reliable and durable is tough.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Ruger SR1911s have the plunger tube integrated into the frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top