Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2021 3:21:44 PM EDT
Unless there is an all out SHTF situation or you are patrolling the boarder of your large property when would you use one? If SHTF I would think a chest rig, small pack and tactical holster would meet your needs with the weight of your items distributed better. It just seems like a lot of gear to have on your waist and would be cumbersome...just an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Bro.. do you even operate?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Your hips are perfectly capable of supporting 10#’s of gear

A PC layered with mags and pouches isn’t optimal either.

My PC has 2 multi strike ceramic plates and 2 30rds, my belt has 2 pistol and another 30rd plus a med kit

Do what works for you,
Not the gram
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Unless there is an all out SHTF situation or you are patrolling the boarder of your large property when would you use one? If SHTF I would think a chest rig, small pack and tactical holster would meet your needs with the weight of your items distributed better. It just seems like a lot of gear to have on your waist and would be cumbersome...just an opinion.
View Quote

I dont have one but plan on putting on together.

I have always viewed it as a layered system.

For Good times/ non shtf I think the belt system would be best.
Checking traps, River/ trout fishing, going hunting, checking fences or game cameras etc...

True crazy SHTF post hurricane looting defense. The Plate carrier all the way.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well even if that's the case I still need a spot for my gun at the range.  Belt is easy. I don't like a bulky vest either way because getting low with a rifle is good... so to me it's layers and distribution of gear

Having a velcro on belt is really nice and easy for quick range trips
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I think having options is better than not having them.

War belts, chest rigs, pc and helmets all have their place. It all depends on the situation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My plate carrier is not full of stuff that stops me from going prone.  

That stuff is on my "war belt"

I'm sure there are lots of good solutions.  Good may vary by fitness, flexibility, and body type.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a war belt for the 7 mile Pecos run and gun. It worked well and had quite a bit of stuff on it. I have two rile mags, two pistol mags, my pistol, IFAK, tourniquet, dump pouch, and multi tool. It rode perfectly and I never had it slide up or down while moving around the desert. I think it is a good option when you don't need armor, but want a few things with you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]

This is about as close as I get. It's made by Vertx and can fold up real nice and stow in my pack that I keep in my truck. It'll hold a couple of extra magazines for my PDW, a light, tourniquet, as well as a handgun. I can set it up and strap it on in a couple of minutes. I can equally break it down and stow it back in my pack in a couple of minutes as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Nn6GEZjViQXoQBs4yTjkdQHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&w=252&h=168

This is about as close as I get. It's made by Vertx and can fold up real nice and stow in my pack that I keep in my truck. It'll hold a couple of extra magazines for my PDW, a light, tourniquet, as well as a handgun. I can set it up and strap it on in a couple of minutes. I can equally break it down and stow it back in my pack in a couple of minutes as well.
View Quote

Is that a belly band? Looks good
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is that a belly band? Looks good
View Quote

Sort of but not quite. You could wrap it around the belly but it's meant to be worn around the hips. There are Hypalon panels on the body side that will allow you to thread a belt thru. The pockets stretch, will fit an AR-15 mag and have a velcro panel sewn into them. For things like pistol mags, lights, tourniquets, etc... you are best off using a kydex insert of some kind to hold them in place; you are supplied with velcro to affix to your kydex inserts.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sort of but not quite. You could wrap it around the belly but it's meant to be worn around the hips. There are Hypalon panels on the body side that will allow you to thread a belt thru. The pockets stretch, will fit an AR-15 mag and have a velcro panel sewn into them. For things like pistol mags, lights, tourniquets, etc... you are best off using a kydex insert of some kind to hold them in place; you are supplied with velcro to affix to your kydex inserts.
View Quote

Is it meant to be worn concealed under ones pants like a giant iwb holster?

Or meant to be a emergency war belt worn over one’s garments?

The few video I seen on YT leads me towards the latter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I find that my torso is either too short or maybe my PC (along with all the ones uncle sam gave me) too long, so using a belt in conjunction with a carrier or pack is a no-go for me.

I also have to use a drop leg/thigh rig for my sidearm.

I do keep a belt setup in my truck for... unforeseen events.

Maybe you find the belt more comfortable than a chest rig. Many might find it easier to don in a hurry than a carrier. Maybe you can wear a belt and rig/carrier unlike me.

If you’re going to wear it long term and or have a lot of junk on it, I strongly suggest suspenders to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is it meant to be worn concealed under ones pants like a giant iwb holster?

Or meant to be a emergency war belt worn over one’s garments?

The few video I seen on YT leads me towards the latter.
View Quote

You can wear it concealed, although I think it would be a bit much. It's really more of an in a pinch/emergency belt that you can stow in a pack pretty easily and set up and wear in a few minutes if the situation calls for it kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless you're going into an extended urban 'Fallugha' type battle, a minimalist Battle-Belt lets you carry three or four 30-Rd mags on the off-side, plus a pistol on the strong side.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot IDPA, USPSA, Steel, and 3 gun for years so I'm really used to running my shit off my belt. I'm faster than off a PC and you can hide more than you'd think. It's also how I typically carry spare mags for EDC, so makes sense for me to be consistent.

I fucked up my back, so PC is out unless it's REALLY BAD
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I reckon a good belt and a good plate carrier would be best used in conjunction, not one or the other. My belt is set up with a pistol holster, 2 pistol mags, and a rifle mag. I'm looking at tourniquet options right now. I figure you throw that on first and you're set for most situations. If you have the time and inclination throw on the plate carrier for protection and another 3 rifle mags. That gives me armor, 90 rifle rounds and 45 pistol rounds all told. Should be good enough to see me through any realistic situation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
The concept of a war belt has been around for centuries, only during the last couple decades have we strapped our war fighting goodies onto vests.   I was still running around with a alice belt and suspenders until we got issued IBAs around 2002.  Don't keep all your eggs in one basket, in the worst case scenario that you have to ditch your armor (thinking roll over, submerged vehicle) you still have some basic sustainment/fighting items on your waist.  As far as stateside goes, I never needed armor when walking my property line.  A good belt to hold my gun and ammo is all I needed.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Elk hunting
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unless you're going into an extended urban 'Fallugha' type battle, a minimalist Battle-Belt lets you carry three or four 30-Rd mags on the off-side, plus a pistol on the strong side.
View Quote

I think 4 rifle mags is well above a minimalist setup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Carrying weight on your hips is more ergonomic than your chest.

I.like both.

Shtf a 1911 with 4 mags will be on my belt and a soe micro rig for my shotgun
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I believe in a LAYERED approach.

First Line:
War Belt with 1 Rifle/2 Pistol Mags, IFAK, Pistol, Dump Pouch, Flashlight, & Multitool/Knife.  It's the easiest and quickest to put on.  Good for a bump in the night or a trip to the range.

Second Line:
Load Bearing Chest Rig (Haley Strategic D3CRX).  Multiple mags and other items.  For when additional resources might be needed (Mild SHTF).

Third Line:
Plate Carrier with mags and other items.  For when large amounts of excrement hit the atmospheric oscillation unit.

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#22]
A war belt is largely for the gram.  In a SHTF situation would probably wouldn't be strapping one on unless you're defending a fixed location or doing whatever you need to do with a group of people in an overt capacity.  It draws attention and possibly makes you a target.  Kit doesn't scare anyone.  The riots have shown people will get up in your business if they feel like it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

First Line:
War Belt with 1 Rifle/2 Pistol Mags, IFAK, Pistol, Dump Pouch, Flashlight, & Multitool/Knife.  It's the easiest and quickest to put on.  Good for a bump in the night or a trip to the range.

Second Line:
Load Bearing Chest Rig (Haley Strategic D3CRX).  Multiple mags and other items.  For when additional resources might be needed (Mild SHTF).

Third Line:
Plate Carrier with mags and other items.  For when large amounts of excrement hit the atmospheric oscillation unit.

View Quote

Agree with this.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

First Line:

Second Line:

Third Line:

View Quote

I think you have the lines confused
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think you have the lines confused
View Quote

Maybe he has a 4th line...
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I put together a battle belt (what I'm used to calling it) based on my experiences in Iraq and during training exercises at home. When I was meeting with local leaders in Iraq, we would go into buildings, remove our body armor, and set everything off to the side while we sat down around a table or in someone's office. A lot of us were carrying our pistols in holsters on our vests, and we'd have to leave them on our vest or do something awkward, like take them out of the holster and stick them in the back of our pants or something. I used a separate pistol belt and drop leg holster on one deployment, but my second time, it was just way too hot and uncomfortable (I was outside the wire a lot more) to have it strapped to my leg. I also didn't like the idea of having nothing on my person when I took my armor off. Battle belts were almost unheard of back then (late 2000s), and after those couple deployments, I spent time away from line units for several years. When I got back to a line battalion a few years ago, I decided I wanted to carry my pistol, spare magazines, and a few basic items on a belt that I would never need to touch when I was taking my armor on and off, for whatever reason (indoor meetings, hygiene, resting, etc.).

I took lessons from the Infantrymen in my battalion and kept it as basic as possible - pistol, magazines, and first aid. I bought HSGI's Slim-Grip Padded Belt and a Cobra Belt because I wanted padding, but not something too wide / tall. I figured it would be a little cooler and more comfortable by being narrower. The drawback on this belt is the two rows of MOLLE next to each other. There's no gap between them like on larger belts, so you can't weave the attachment straps through them like MOLLE is designed for. I found that it worked fairly well with MALICE clips, but not idea. It's very comfortable, but the padding may be a little overkill. If I was to do it again, I'd probably try a narrower padded belt like HSGI's Operator Belt.

It's not perfect, but I resisted the urge to hang anything else on it to keep it simple. I've appreciated having it in my free time at the range as a way of keeping spare mags on me while training, so I continue to use it since leaving the line (again). From right to left in the photos are:

Eleven 10 Tourniquet / Self-Aid Pouch with SOFTT-W TQ - keeps it secure and up front
Safariland 6378USN Light Holster - Mounted on a mid-drop with QLS fork, allows me to swap it for an M9 6378USN for duty use; added a T-Rex Arms thigh strap after training with it to prevent the holster from riding up if I got a little hung up on the draw
Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma Kit NOW! - added later, bought contents separate following their packing list (handy but very tough to fit everything in)
Esstac M4 KYWI Single Mag Pouch- SHORTY
Esstac Pistol KYWI Double Mag Pouch

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
If I put twinkies in my pants pockets they will get smashed almost instantly. with the correct 40mm pouches they fit pretty well and are much safer.

I wear mine when I go to the range and want to work on drills. shot timer goes in dump pouch, and I have mags holster and an IFAK all handy. also have a PC with a placard and a chest rig that also takes the placard for if SHTF or I have to drive to LA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top