Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2018 10:41:10 AM EDT
Suffered an permanent injury to my support hand that has never really caused issues with the my shoot ability until I decided to get a Redhawk .44 Mag with 4" barrel.

Actually painful to shoot.  Really do not want to sell the gun as it is a royal PITA to get pistol permits in NJ.

Two options I have in mind:

1.  Have the barrel ported
2.  Have a 7" barrel installed with full lug for added weight (added benefit would the ability to hunt with it).

My only saving grace is I do handload and can make some seriously powder-puff 44 special loads, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a magnum.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
typical ARFCOM fashion..

what about doing both??

porting would work but do you really want to hunt with it??
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
typical ARFCOM fashion..

what about doing both??

porting would work but do you really want to hunt with it??
View Quote
Good point, I could have a ported 7" barrel mounted.

The gun is certainly not used as the average plinker, so finding another means for it such as hunting would be great (thinking more of pigs as it's main focus).
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The 'need' for magnums is largely psychological.  The late Skeeter Skelton used the 44 mag for decades as a sheriff, rancher, hunter, killing a variety of things, including steers.  He decided to gradually download the  round to see if it could do what he needed of it without all the blast and recoil.  He found that he could take it all the way down to 45LC level (nonmagnum) and it still did everything he needed.  Even Elmer Keiths idea for a hotter 44 special was much less violent than what the manufacturers produced in the 44 mag.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried a PAST glove   ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have you tried a PAST glove   ?
View Quote
The injury is a rupture thumb ligament which has cause a permanent slight dislocation of the joint.  Gripping power in my left hand is down to about 50% of my right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Hope you can get it taken care of, fixed, or at least less painful.   Best wishes OP.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I would just download to 44 Special.  Unless your hunting that cardboard/paper will be just as dead.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the old cup and saucer stance?

Your split times will suck though
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I would try rubber grips and shooting gloves before spending big bucks on parts and gunsmith labor.  You can also add weight with a red dot or scope.  Something to consider.

While going with .44 Specials is one option, another is to simply use lighter loads.  If a deer or hog doesn't go down using a quality 165gr copper or 180gr JHP, it probably wasn't going to be done in by a 240-300gr bullet either.  For bigger critters like elk and black bear these are probably too light.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My only saving grace is I do handload and can make some seriously powder-puff 44 special loads, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a magnum.
View Quote
That's what I'd be doing. I traded in to a 4" 629 and I love it. No shame in downloading a magnum caliber to make it a fun plinker. I'd be loading lighter ammo long before I'd be swapping barrels and all that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I too would opt for downloading a bit, perhaps to a .44spl +P? Split the difference between the two calibers?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a plated Xtreme Bullets 200 gr. pill and Winchester 231. Loads for a cast bullet of 231 are around 6 grains starting load, jacketed bullets around 10 grains. I start on the low end and enjoy the easy shootin'.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The injury is a rupture thumb ligament which has cause a permanent slight dislocation of the joint.  Gripping power in my left hand is down to about 50% of my right.
View Quote
I don't have a permanently injured left hand but have had a temporary one.
I used a two hand hold for steadiness but on recoil let the gun/right hand come up and out of the left hand. In effect using the left hand about 1/3 of normal. And not hooking left thumb over right thumb, just letting it relax out there
It's odd at first but beat not shooting until healed so I got pretty use to it.
I like the idea of adding (useful) weight via optic/mounts. Throw on the heaviest stocks you can find, back off the loads till all comfortable.
Or..... become the baddest old school one handed pistolero on the east coast.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I used a two hand hold for steadiness but on recoil let the gun/right hand come up and out of the left hand. In effect using the left hand about 1/3 of normal. And not hooking left thumb over right thumb, just letting it relax out there
I like the idea of adding (useful) weight via optic/mounts. Throw on the heaviest stocks you can find, back off the loads till all comfortable.
View Quote
WWEKD?

(What Would Elmer Keith Do?)
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WWEKD?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WWEKD?

Most likely call me a pussy.........

I found a local shop that can port the current barrel for $60.  Nothing fancy, just three holes on each side of the barrel.  It wont do any harm and helpfully it will help.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Shoot .44 Special and save the full power loads for a SHTF moment that hopefully never comes.

Get into handloading and you can tame .44 Mag loads to purr like kittens in your hand. Since you don't have to worry about gas or recoil operating the action, you can load pretty light loads. Read and understand a reloading manual before you start.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Get it ported AND  load up some medium velocity .44 mag loads like 9 grains of unique powder and a 240 grain plated bullet.
Only reason for the full power stuff is hunting or defense against large bears.

If you don't reload check out the HSM cowboy loads. Another tame factory load is the CCI Blazer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Arthritis is so bad in my right thumb I am getting rid of my semi autos and getting revolvers. At 75 yrs old I have to make compromises. I have a S&W 351 C and a 442 pro ( planning to convert it to shoot 9MM)
I can't operate a slide without great pain if I am in a tense defense situation I'm not sure I could clear a jam.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
OP.  You're contradicting yourself.  You're saying .44 mag hurts your hands.  Then you're saying what's the point of a magnum....

To me, one of the great things about .357/.44 magnum is you can shoot lighter loads in them.  I don't have hurt hands and I don't consider .357 or .44 magnum fun.  Give me the light loads.    Especially since the point of it is to just poke holes in paper.  If you're wanting to hunt with it, well then maybe I can see the point.   But even a .44 special would probably do the job.  Depending on what you're hunting.

Just make some light loads.  I don't know this for sure, but I think porting won't really solve your problem and it will just ruin your eyesight in low light.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP.  You're contradicting yourself.  You're saying .44 mag hurts your hands.  Then you're saying what's the point of a magnum....

To me, one of the great things about .357/.44 magnum is you can shoot lighter loads in them.  I don't have hurt hands and I don't consider .357 or .44 magnum fun.  Give me the light loads.    Especially since the point of it is to just poke holes in paper.  If you're wanting to hunt with it, well then maybe I can see the point.   But even a .44 special would probably do the job.  Depending on what you're hunting.

Just make some light loads.  I don't know this for sure, but I think porting won't really solve your problem and it will just ruin your eyesight in low light.
View Quote
Not really sure how I am contradicting myself, as I said there were no issues with my shooting until I got the .44 Magnum.  There was no way for me to know the 44 mag recoil was going to be an issue, as I can handle the .357 mag GP100 just fine.

I see no point of owning something that you can not use it to the fullest potential.  It's like buying a 200 MPH sports car when you live in the city, speed up to the next red light.......?  So on that rare occasion when you get to drive outside of the city limits, you want to go fast, right?  On that rare occasion, I want to shoot 44 Magnum, which as of now is not possible (last time I did not feel my thumb for two day afterwards).

Not worried about reduced loads as I know I can do that.  I am looking the the best method to tame the recoil of .44 magnum loads, simple.

Options:
Porting (will not be shooting often in low light, if ever)
Longer barrel with full lug (added weight)
Combination of a longer ported barrel
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah.  I guess I wasn't understanding the situation properly.  Sorry about that.  I just figured you can still shoot it using lighter loads, so it's not a loss at all.   But maybe porting and other fixes would help with the recoil.  I would think an optic would soak up some of that recoil too, if you wanted to go that route.  Might make it kind of heavy pointing though....
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Since the OP reloads, I suggest trying IMR 4227 and 300grn Hornady XTPs for a good load.

The 4227 gives good velocity without the bone jarring recoil found with H110 type powders.

I have used the load listed above to kill a couple deer and a bear from my 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk. I have RA and these loads allows me to shoot my beloved Redhawk with bad hands.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since the OP reloads, I suggest trying IMR 4227 and 300grn Hornady XTPs for a good load.

The 4227 gives good velocity without the bone jarring recoil found with H110 type powders.

I have used the load listed above to kill a couple deer and a bear from my 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk. I have RA and these loads allows me to shoot my beloved Redhawk with bad hands.

Good luck OP.
View Quote
Never thought about using a slowing burning powder.....Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#24]
My antique 7 1/2 in. Redhawk weighs 3 lbs. 6 5/8 oz. unloaded.  The OP should not expect a 4 incher to be gentle on one's hand.  I've been there with a 4.2 in. S&W 69, and that bitch is not a fun gun with factory loads.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#25]
You can hunt with the 44 Special, it's no wimpy cartridge if loaded warmly.  If you reload you could either load up some warmer 44 Specials or load down the .44 Mag, but a 240gr cast ast 1000 fps will kill a lot of things.  I'm pretty sure buffalo bore makes a warmer 44 Special if you don't handload.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#26]
For $60.00 my guess is that you are getting a WESCOG porting.

At $10.00 per hole you will be getting a barrel with holes in it.

...and how are they dressing the burrs from drilling the holes?

Contact a known porting company.  You get what you pay for...

Magnaport

What it looks like
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top