Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 2:39:56 PM EDT
Hello all,

I finally upgrade my lower from a plain Ruger lower to a VQ Target frame with their mainspring. It will be matched up to my OPA (Oregon Precision Arms) Upper and it looks pretty sexy if you ask me!

Now, I’m no newbie to the MkII/MkIII/22/45 game so I’m well versed in the typical issues and have no problem stripping them down typically and putting them back together. That being said, I’m no gunsmith either, so it was also super disappointing to receive my lower yesterday and find I cannot get the mainspring to close at the last bit.

Yes, like the typical “hammer strut isn’t seated in the mainspring cap” issue. (I’ve read the guntalk-online.com pages many times of the years.) So, I tried installing the mainspring without an upper on at all, and it seems like you have to really push the hammer super extra far forward, but it will close at that point.

I also tried installing the mainspring without the bolt installed. At least that way I could get access from the back to try to push the hammer farther forward. I did that, but it feels like the hammer is pushed up against the ejector and upper and will not go any farther forward. Looking at the ejector, it does seem like it sticks out quite a bit aft, but I’m not sure. I’m tempted to file a little bit of the rear of it to give a bit more space for the hammer to go forward more, but that’s my best estimated guess.

Any other thoughts or help? I have emailed Volquartsen so hope to hear from them if they have any inside knowledge or if I’m doing something boneheaded or wrong.

Well, anyone throw some thoughts out there? It’s almost a perfect .22... at least to me. :D

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Install it hammer up, put the bolt in the upper, put on lower. Slide mainspring pin in, then tilt muzzle up 45 degrees. Then clip in the bottom of the spring.

It's a 30 second job. Not sure why people struggle. Maybe I'm a natural at the technique but I've literally never had an issue. I have a VQ Scorpion too, and while it has tighter tolerances the assembly is the same. I think maybe the hammer strut causes issues. Tilting it up helps it fall into place.

Field Stripping and reassembling Ruger 22/45
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I’ll try it
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my MKIV soooooooo much! Safety on push button. One solid piece becomes two.

I have heard people say they don't like the look of them. I love them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all! It had to do with the strut on the VQ mainspring housing. It was running into the upper. It was filed down a bit and now it first perfect and works.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top