Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2021 2:08:38 PM EDT
I inherited a 22A from my dad. Has some humungous wood grips on it. Doesn't seem like a bad 22, though it's kind of ugly.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Have one.  Works fine, no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W replaces their .22 LR pistol every decade and throws away any aftermarket built up.  Ruger & Browning are much more careful about that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine's a fucking jamomatic. Some ammo is better than others but getting through 10 rounds without some sort of failure is rare. That gun has sat for years. Coincidentally, about 3 weeks ago I decided to look into it so I bought a new mag and new a recoil spring to try with it. I have yet to try it
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine wouldn't run reliably, but having a cracked frame will do that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll have to try it out. It's dirty as hell from my dad's poor maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'll have to try it out. It's dirty as hell from my dad's poor maintenance.
View Quote

There is a school of thought that is against cleaning .22 rimfires, particularly bores.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
15 years ago  I Bought one NIB,

took to the range,  "something" inside broke and gun wouldn't work,  sent back to S&W , they fixed it and I traded it on something else as soon as I got it back
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know where I can get the stock rubber grips? SW website says unavailable and ebay turned up nothing with my quick search.
The stock wood ones are ok but huge and slick as snot. At least they could have added a little texture to help tame that massive 22LR recoil.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had bought a pre-owned S&W22A as a cheap "warm-up" gun for my sons about twenty years ago. We put over 110,000 rounds through it. It is still working reliably and with good accuracy but has had many parts replaced in its long and hard life.

The frame will break if high velocity ammo is shot though it and the buffer isn't changed when it is used up. Firing pins broke about every 20,000 rounds but my sons were teenagers and when the slide did not stay back, pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. That's stressful for most, if not all rimfire guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had my 22A since early 2007. It has been very reliable and accurate for me. I do stay away from cheap bulk ammo and only use good stuff though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
The older Smiths were bulky guns, had a 2206 as well as the 22A, but they were just a pleasure to shoot. Never had a hang up or issue with them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The main thing to do is pay attention to on the 22A is the plastic buffer and replace it on a regular basis as needed.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get the stock rubber grips? SW website says unavailable and ebay turned up nothing with my quick search.
The stock wood ones are ok but huge and slick as snot. At least they could have added a little texture to help tame that massive 22LR recoil.
View Quote

I've found the 22a to be very reliable and accurate.

Just did a quick search and found what look to be 3D printed stock-style grips on Ebay for around $35.

Standard grips for that gun are pretty slim ~always thought I'd grab some of the wood ones myself but looks like they are getting pricey.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

OP, is it the one above?

Super accurate pistol & I love the grips.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/22A-1_jpg-1882587.JPG

OP, is it the one above?

Super accurate pistol & I love the grips.
View Quote

Yep. that is it. The grips are pretty, but massive, even for my XL size hands. I ended up calling S&W and getting a set of rubber grips for around $35. Said 10 days to ship. so sometime next week maybe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Got the Rubber/Plastic grip in. 100x better than the honking wood grip. Only wish it had a replicable front sight as black/black doesn't work for me.

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Fingernail polish?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fingernail polish?
View Quote
Have some paint at home. Will do it sometime, just used to dawson FO sights on everything else.
This won't get shot much so the paint will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had mine for a number of years.  Early on, it also had trouble getting a magazine through without a misfire of some sort.  S&W said send it back; since then it runs any ammo I put in it.  That was my first S&W; because their customer service handled it well for me, I have stuck with the brand over the years with other purchases.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had mine for a number of years.  Early on, it also had trouble getting a magazine through without a misfire of some sort.  S&W said send it back; since then it runs any ammo I put in it.  That was my first S&W; because their customer service handled it well for me, I have stuck with the brand over the years with other purchases.
View Quote

AFAIK the customer support for the 22A has ceased with the gun being discontinued for so long. Over the 110,000+ rounds, we went through about four firing pins, countless buffers, all springs were replaced, the old style sight rib had the claw break off and around 65k the frame cracked. Basically, every 20k rounds there was some part broken.

This photo was taken right after the frame replacement
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the 22S (stainless) model. Inexpensive but it works well and is accurate enough. I didn't care for the target grips either and put on the plastic/rubber ones. It came with a 5" bull barrel and I bought a second 7" barrel for it and a scope. You can easily walk a golf ball with it at 50 yards with the second set-up. Switching them out is a nothing, same processes as cleaning but just add which ever upper you want. They also had shorter barrels for it at the time. I did buy a bunch of spare parts for it (like I normally do) and a couple dozen of the plastic recoil spacers. You need to change them out after about 4-5000 rounds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is a school of thought that is against cleaning .22 rimfires, particularly bores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'll have to try it out. It's dirty as hell from my dad's poor maintenance.

That is correct to a point. But after the 500-1000 round time the accuracy actually starts to stumble and a total clean is the right answer. I usually keep my internals and comps clean but leave the barrel until it starts to degrade. Also the round count is very ammo brand/type dependant.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is correct to a point. But after the 500-1000 round time the accuracy actually starts to stumble and a total clean is the right answer. I usually keep my internals and comps clean but leave the barrel until it starts to degrade.
View Quote

Just swab the bore with a patch & solvent, then use a dry patch. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I put probably 200 - 300 rounds a month through mine.  Clean it every few weeks and it runs well for me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Any current source for replacement buffers?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Any current source for replacement buffers?
View Quote

3-D printer?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
S&W doesn't seem to have to abiltiy to make a good inexpensive gun.  Other than the high cost 41, most of their 22's haven't been great.  The 22S I had wasn't super reliable and not super accurate either.  I agree with what somone wote above about S&W changing 22LR models every few years.  They just can't seem to find a winner and stick with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top