Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2020 1:28:05 AM EDT
Gander has some for $199.00 and I couldn't pass it up. I like surplus pistols

From what I have read the sights suck (tiny like a 92s) but how is the SA trigger?

Any insight, there are some youtube reviews out there but I prefer the unpaid ones here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m upset. Checked this morning and saw the price. Put money in bank to order and couple hours later the price has gone up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Had one.  Got it from Numrich as I recall.  It was ok but something of an odd duck.  Mag release and safety were just weird.  Mags aren't especially common.  Mine worked fine, accuracy was as expected, trigger was ok, as you mentioned the sights are pretty small.

Got rid of it in fairly short order as it really didn't do anything that other stuff in my collection did better.  It might become a minor collector's item some day but that day is a ways away.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a few of them from Coles about 8-9 years ago.....I love em...I'm also a fan of single stack, all-steel guns.

If they have a single flaw, it's the locking block....due to poor heat treatment....but that's limited to the Helwan copies.

Original mags are pricey......the triple-K mags are junk.....apparently GPC has come out with a repro mag that works well however

I kept one......it's actually a 1969 made commercial Model 104 with Berettas old Berben, NY markings. How it got into a batch of import guns I have no idea. No modern import markings anywhere.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Being a single action does the strange crossbolt safety actually block the hammer or lock the sear in place? In other words can it be carried cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure it blocks the hammer......

I honestly don't know....the only time it's loaded/cocked is when I'm pointing it at a target.......I don't think I've ever used the safety.......it's simple enough to take your thumb an bump it to "fire" if need be
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pretty sure it blocks the hammer......

I honestly don't know....the only time it's loaded/cocked is when I'm pointing it at a target.......I don't think I've ever used the safety.......it's simple enough to take your thumb an bump it to "fire" if need be
View Quote
Thanks, it is not like I am going to be carrying a single stack steel 9mm around for defensive purposes, just wondering.

Quoted:
Had one.  Got it from Numrich as I recall.  It was ok but something of an odd duck.  Mag release and safety were just weird.  Mags aren't especially common.  Mine worked fine, accuracy was as expected, trigger was ok, as you mentioned the sights are pretty small.

Got rid of it in fairly short order as it really didn't do anything that other stuff in my collection did better.  It might become a minor collector's item some day but that day is a ways away.
View Quote
I  have two other Berettas (92S and 950BS) that have the same mag release. If I have to ever do a quick mag change with any of them, something has definitely gone wrong at the range
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. Mind you, they can have the barrel lugs breaking - known issue with these old ones.
Mine did; bought a newly made replacement on eBay.

Not suited for P+ ammo; I look at it more as a piece of history than anything else; and the looks always did it for me.

Keep in mind I DID grow up in Rome, Shitaly in the 1970s. So I used to see that pistol in 70s police action Italian movies and daily, in the holsters of Caribinieri AND Polizia. I am sure that had an effect on me.

Mine is a 1957 issued one.
Do NOT get, for any reason in the world, one of those Arabic ones. Pieces of shit

1957 Beretta 1951 9mm by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
They represent a very cool link in the evolutionary chain of Beretta pistols. I bought one of the Egyptian copies a couple years ago. This was before legit Italian 1951’s were readily available. The Egyptian one I bought had a cracked locking block, it’s slide was bowed outwards at its locking recesses, and its magazine was garbage. I decided to see if I could salvage it. I bought a cheap ugly Italian 1951 slide and a new replacement locking block off ebay from a guy in the Netherlands who makes them new. Replacement magazines are a problem. I got a replacement Triple K magazine. It works, but just barely. So now I have a functional but ugly pistol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually got to see it today. Well worn PW Arms import that needs a deep clean  and lube. For 199.00 I am good with my purchase.

I was really suprised at the profile, way smaller than a P6 Sig (same-ish round count) It is interesting and I am looking forward to dissecting it on the cleaning mat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love mine. Mind you, they can have the barrel lugs breaking - known issue with these old ones.
Mine did; bought a newly made replacement on eBay.

Not suited for P+ ammo; I look at it more as a piece of history than anything else; and the looks always did it for me.

Keep in mind I DID grow up in Rome, Shitaly in the 1970s. So I used to see that pistol in 70s police action Italian movies and daily, in the holsters of Caribinieri AND Polizia. I am sure that had an effect on me.

Mine is a 1957 issued one.
Do NOT get, for any reason in the world, one of those Arabic ones. Pieces of shit

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48679926817_dd71a51fe1_h.jpg1957 Beretta 1951 9mm by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
That was my first pistol I bought with my FFL 'back in the day'.
Dealer price was $161.00
It's rough, but we smoothed it out and it's never jammed...EVER.
Just ran regular 9mm FMJ through it and enjoyed it.
One of the grips cracked and I got a replacement set.

I won't disparage the gun or its performance.
Glad I got it.

Next stop was for the new 96 CENTURION at another shop.
Didn't get a discount, but out of 5 people at the counter, I was one of 3 that was looking at that model and the only one that paid cash and walked out with it.  

Never found an original 1951 for any price I was willing to pay and am satisfied with my PIECE OF SHIT Helwan.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That was my first pistol I bought with my FFL 'back in the day'.
Dealer price was $161.00
It's rough, but we smoothed it out and it's never jammed...EVER.
Just ran regular 9mm FMJ through it and enjoyed it.
One of the grips cracked and I got a replacement set.

I won't disparage the gun or its performance.
Glad I got it.

Next stop was for the new 96 CENTURION at another shop.
Didn't get a discount, but out of 5 people at the counter, I was one of 3 that was looking at that model and the only one that paid cash and walked out with it.  

Never found an original 1951 for any price I was willing to pay and am satisfied with my PIECE OF SHIT Helwan.  
View Quote
I also bought one of the Helwans NIB way back then (1991).  While it's somewhat rough and I've only fired 100rds through it, it fired them all without any bobbles and was decently accurate.

I'm happy with it.

Hell, this thread has shamed me into pulling it out and shooting it some more...

Forrest
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Got it home today and this is the absolute dirtiest surplus gun I have purchased.

The whole thing has been packed with some black grease that smells like US Army auto and artillery grease, even the inside of the grips

The mainspring has surface rust as does the slide and frame. Surprisingly the bore and sear surfaces are really nice so it should be a good shooter.

One question, this is the worst machined Beretta I have ever seen. Not worse than a late war Polish Radom but the channels in the frame and the beveling are atrocious with bit chatter. Is this normal?  Serial is 19xxx and I cant find the roman numerals that supposedly date it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one last year from AIM surplus in early summer.
Got a good price and the only hard problem I had was finding magazines. Numrich had some after market
ones but both did not work, in fact the steel side bulged after loading making the magazine hard to remove- returned them with no problems.
Found some real used magazines at a little under a hundred a pop, but they work fine.
Bought the 1951 for a 80's retro match in October and everyone who ran the "hotel chainsaw" leg of the match loved it, zero problems.
Unfortunately took it out at Xmas time and the barrel locking block cracked, so now the gun is an over sized paper weight.
Debating either trying find a block. Which is not easy or cheap, or parting out the gun, selling the magazines and using the gun for a "buy back program" for a gift card.
Basically I'm not sinking any more money on this gun.

I hope you have fun with yours.
Regards,
Dave
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Found some real used magazines at a little under a hundred a pop, but they work fine.

Dave
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave
I know crazy right, those two magazine cost more than the M1951. Which is why I am in no rush to sink anymore money into it.
Dave
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a guy here that made new CNC locking blocks for these. Goes by wess-13.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Been seeing and using these guns down range for decades.  I first encountered them in Egypt during Bright Star 85' being used by the Egyptian SF.  Seen a few in Italy in 90' with the Italian police but worked with the Italian SF who used the 92S.  Would later run into the Iraqi Tarqi model in Iraq during GW1 and between 03-08'.  Just acquired a Egyptian Helwan here in Astan.  It had a bent recoil spring guide rod which I straightened out.  Will give it a range test this weekend.  Safety can only be engaged when gun is cocked.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought one of the Israeli surplus versions from Cole Distributing a ways back. I like it a lot. Prefer to the slab o' wood 92, to be honest.

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Helwans break the most.  I have seen Italian ones with sheered locking blocks using factory 9mm current production ammo.  A friend of mine loads for his and they are super light target loads, works fine with those.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top