Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2018 9:55:06 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting the Model 85 revolver as a backup carry gun for a while now since it seems to be one of the models that taurus makes that is consistently good that you can find for a descent price. To me the ideal model was the stainless steel 3 inch barreled version. But it seems like the 3 inch model isn't in Taurus' catalog anymore. Do they still make this model? If not,is there any place that still has one in stock?  Is there any reason why they stopped making this model?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercover/products/13825-undercover-tiger-tiger-black-standard

Might want to look at these Charter Arms revolvers. American made and pretty solid as well. I have the Tiger striped model I linked to. I have shot about 10 boxes of ammo through it so far with zero problems. And we did a transfer through the shop the other day of a S&W 642 for around $360 (what he paid the seller). Don't know if you want a shorter than 3" barrel, but 2.5" on the Charter does not seem like too much of a compromise. Having owned a stainless Taurus 357 Mag a while back that was a pretty decent gun I don't have any ill feelings about them. Just prefer the S&W, the Ruger SP101, or the Charter first.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Look for a used J-frame Smith, Rossi, Ruger LCR, or Ruger SP101.

My professional experience with the Taurus Model 85 has not been stellar.

The older Taurus 85 revolvers seem to stand up and the new ones are iffy to say the least because Taurus QC has really waned over the years.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://charterfirearms.com/collections/undercover/products/13825-undercover-tiger-tiger-black-standard

Might want to look at these Charter Arms revolvers. American made and pretty solid as well. I have the Tiger striped model I linked to. I have shot about 10 boxes of ammo through it so far with zero problems. And we did a transfer through the shop the other day of a S&W 642 for around $360 (what he paid the seller). Don't know if you want a shorter than 3" barrel, but 2.5" on the Charter does not seem like too much of a compromise. Having owned a stainless Taurus 357 Mag a while back that was a pretty decent gun I don't have any ill feelings about them. Just prefer the S&W, the Ruger SP101, or the Charter first.
View Quote
Only a very select few of their guns are offered in the 2.5" barrel, those that are are the 44spl or the auto calibers. As of late i have heard a lot of negative stuff about the Charter arms revolvers, plus you cant use any of the buffalo bore ammo in it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an 85 but not a 3" and like it a lot. I bought it as a blem gun,(minor cosmetic issues), but the gun has been perfect. For the price,I think it was only $200.00 new when I bought it years ago.I am not sure where you can get a 3" anymore,maybe on the used market. The only downside to getting one of the older pistols is trying to find grips. I had a 3" stainless 357 Taurus years ago and I bought it used. It had either Uncle Mike's or Pachmayr rubber grips and I wanted to get a different type but could not find a set of grips that would fit it, without going to custom grips but that would have been pointless as the grips would have been as much as I paid for the gun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been VERY happy with my Charter Arms revolvers. I know quality has been spotty in past but recently very impressive.  
Huck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top