Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 1:24:14 AM EDT
became aware of the taurus 692.  Wary as have heard bad things about taurus, but interested as they have a 2.5" version and would like a 7 shot 9mm revolver.  

Question is, are these a tracker w/ the ruger GP/SP style grip frame or are they like a SW K/L grip frame?  I ask b/c I like the smaller frame style more that lets you have more angle in the grip.  But I think Taurus makes some guns that are clones of SW including the grip frame.

I wonder about the grip frame of the model 66/69 as well.

Any of you ever dealt w/ Taurus CS or had one of these 692s?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#1]
By default, it has to be approximately L-frame sized.

Taurus changes their models constantly, so I have no knowledge regarding if it's a smaller grip tang like many DA Rugers, or a longer round butt style like a S&W.

I worked a counter for many years.  I dealt with Taurus CS a lot, because we sold a lot of Taurus firearms across due to the fact that they make damn near everything (1911s, pistols, revolvers, snub nose, pocket guns, etc.), so they were represented in almost every segment.  Their CS was neither exemplary nor bad.  Turnaround times were generally a week or two, but it depended on the issue; sometimes they could fix it, sometimes they just replaced the gun entirely.  

There was one time where a guy brought us a pistol he had bought from somewhere else because it had a bulged barrel and had been out of production for a number of years (some .45 ACP revolver), and he was hoping that Taurus would give him "manufacturer credit" towards something else in their lineup.  He utilized us as a shipping point, and didn't tell Taurus what his overall plan was.  Taurus apparently scrounged a barrel up for the thing to fix it, which was pretty impressive that they could do.  The customer was also amazed, but a little sad that his plan hadn't worked to get one over on them.

Their QC May put out some lemons from time to time, but they produce a ton of stuff.  Some of it I would buy sight unseen with no worries, some I would like to take a look at before a buy.  That revolver you've mentioned is one I intend to keep an eye out for, should I ever run across one at a good price.

ETA:  S&W 66/69 are both the K/L grip frame size.  If you're asking about the Taurus?  Check their website and see, there are so many variations it's frustrating sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The 692 is GTG and is roughly equal in size to a S&W L frame revolver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Here is mine with a hogue grip.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's built off of the Tracker frame just like my Taurus 617, 7 shot, 357.

S&W K/L frame with the rounded butt.
The DeSantis Holster I use is for a S&W K/L frame.

Never tried a S&W grip on it, but other Tracker grips fit on it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up one on Armslist. It is surprisingly good.  Timing and lockup are great. Cylinder swap is very simple.

The muzzle break really helps with the 357 loads
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top