Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 1:50:08 PM EDT
So I am an admitted Glock guy but I just have a hard time getting a good grip on them.  I have done the grip tape stuff and it sort of helps. I have really been interested in the M&P 2.0 and was wondering if there are any of you that had made the switch and if so do you feel like the M&P is a much better choice.  I think I just need a handgun with a wider grip.  Penny for your thoughts
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The M&P is just a superior human interface frame than the Glock probably ever will be, but with Glock reliability and simplicity in the slide/barrel and fire control parts.

The user-configurable elastomer backstraps are a great feature so you can tailor the grip depth and width to your hand.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M&P is just a superior human interface frame than the Glock probably ever will be, but with Glock reliability and simplicity in the slide/barrel and fire control parts.

The user-configurable elastomer backstraps are a great feature so you can tailor the grip depth and width to your hand.
View Quote
/
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my take.  In the summer a G26 and G19 wont slip in my hands, as long as they're not too sweaty.  In the winter, it's slip city.

I do the cheapest thing and probably most people are like What the heck.  But it works for me.  I wrap rubber bands around any gun that slips.  On my J frame I mostly do it becaue the grip is a bit too small and my thumb gets in the way of the trigger finger sometimes.  Or touches it at the rear of the trigger pull.  And that annoys me.  So the extra girth helps alleviate that.  It also probably helps my left hand have a surface to grip better, somewhat.  That happens more on autos though for me.  Cuz there is more room to get my left heal in there to put up against the rubber.

for me, the G43 especially needs the rubber....

I'm not sure I think M&P's are much better in this regard.  They have a bit more tackier surface, but still can slip, IMHO.  At least the older ones. I have not shot the newer versions.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Own both Glocks (Gen4) and M2.0 9mm's.  I prefer the 2.0's, just more comfortable to shoot and grip for me. You need to rent and shoot if you can that will help you decide.  Smith's are just as reliable and if your into after market parts they are out there for the Smith's as well.  Nobody can really decide for you.  It's all about what fits you best.  Not much help just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Own both Glocks (Gen4) and M2.0 9mm's.  I prefer the 2.0's, just more comfortable to shoot and grip for me. You need to rent and shoot if you can that will help you decide.  Smith's are just as reliable and if your into after market parts they are out there for the Smith's as well.  Nobody can really decide for you.  It's all about what fits you best.  Not much help just my opinion.
View Quote
Yeah I completely understand and I do plan on renting one and shooting it.  Just wanted to see if there are others out there that made the switch.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I own and shoot both brands, I agree with the rental comments. The trigger on the 2.0 is pretty darn good and the texture is nice once you get used to it. I think once you get some range time with whatever model you’re interested in, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Cheers
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried to swear off Glocks, bought a M&P 2.0, some 1911's. My Glocks are both Gen 3, my 30S is a short frame and it is my favorite gun because the chunky grip fills my hand just right.  I hate the palm swells and the beaver tail that are part of the largest grip backstops on the M&P so I run the MD/LRG one which has the least amount of swell and no beavertail.

Love the M&P though, you will only wear that grip against your skin once, I promise you that. Build quality is great, but I wish they'd loose the hinged trigger, because it cost me $140 or so to loose it for them! (Apex)

I do like that for almost no investment I can make a Glock trigger just right using only OEM parts.

So yeah, no harm in taking a break from Glocks, but they are still great. The M&P just brings different things to like and dislike
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I made the switch earlier this year. I have been carrying various Glocks at my PD job and off duty for approx 25 years. I like the guns but hate the company and they way they do things and have been trying to get out of Glocks for years. The M&P 2.0 is the first poly framed gun that had enough aftermarket support and popularity to make me switch. I bought a 2.0 full sized in 9mm, qualified with it earlier this year and have been carrying it ever since. I'm up to about 1200 rds or so through it.

The ergonomics are VASTLY superior to Glocks. They just fit my hand SO much better. Between the grip shape and angle, I shoot the M&P MUCH better and it feels much better in my hand.

The trigger on the 2.0 is also much better. On mine, the take up is very light and smooth, then you hit a distinct wall. The break is VERY smooth crisp (for a poly pistol, it's not a 1911) with a little overtravel, but not much. The reset is not as audible or tactile as a Glock, but it is audible and tactile. Reset is short. Mine started out with some grip in the take up, between cleaning and shooting it is all gone and smoothed up very well.

On mine, the finish on the slide is very well done and, so far, appears durable. I've been carrying it daily at work for several months and the slide has no wear. My duty holster is a suede lined Safariland ALS holster, that may have something to do with it, but in the same holster, my G19 started showing holster wear in the high points very quickly. Minor points, but help point to a quality product. The parts that move and slide (barrel hood, slide rails), places where finish wear usually appears, are pretty good. The barrel hood and slide rails do have some finish wear, but not much. Less than any of the Glocks I've ever had.

The elephant in the room regarding the 2.0 line is the grip texture. It is ROUGH from the factory. Myself, I LOVED it. REALLY locked the gun in my hand, even when sweaty during the summer,and would work for mud, blood, etc. On hot range days, my Glocks wanted to slip around a little. The 2.0 has never moved. Some think it is too rough, it's all about personal preferences. Even though I really liked it, I had to end up taking a little sandpaper to the grip. It was so rough that it was really rubbing on my forearm when holstered, uniform shirts and car seats, to the point that it was really wearing out my uniform shirts. The grip texture is still nice, just not as nice as it was. It is also rough when carried IWB, but I usually carry my 9mm Shield off duty, so no big deal.

Between my 2.0 and the 3rd Gen G19 I carried for quite a few years, practical accuracy is pretty similar. The big thing is, it is easier to shoot the 2.0. You can get similar accuracy faster and without as much effort as the G19. And, in the end, that's what its all about.

Go try one out before buying one However, I'm betting you will love it and will make the switch. Drink the kool aid. It's tasty!

Bub75
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Glocks will always have a place in my heart. Always. A Glock was the first handgun I ever purchased when I came of age and I carried a G17 on duty and G19 off duty for the first 5  years of my LE career before dabbling in VP9s for a few years. I still own several Glocks and I bought my wife a G43 for her CCW.

That said...I now carry an M&P9 2.0 FS on duty, an M&P9 2.0 Compact in transit to/from work, and an M&P9 Shield 1.0 off-duty. Another suppressed  M&P9 2.0 FS is my dedicated home defense pistol. I am waiting on S&W to pull their heads out of their rears and make the 5" M&P9 2.0 available in Black and at some point I will likely pick up an M&P45 2.0 as I don't have any .45s in the stable at the moment. I have no plans for any more Glock purchases...
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You may also want to try a Walther PPQ.

I have a first gen 9mm and it is a real shooter.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my mp
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glocks will always have a place in my heart. Always. A Glock was the first handgun I ever purchased when I came of age and I carried a G17 on duty and G19 off duty for the first 5  years of my LE career before dabbling in VP9s for a few years. I still own several Glocks and I bought my wife a G43 for her CCW.

That said...I now carry an M&P9 2.0 FS on duty, an M&P9 2.0 Compact in transit to/from work, and an M&P9 Shield 1.0 off-duty. Another suppressed  M&P9 2.0 FS is my dedicated home defense pistol. I am waiting on S&W to pull their heads out of their rears and make the 5" M&P9 2.0 available in Black and at some point I will likely pick up an M&P45 2.0 as I don't have any .45s in the stable at the moment. I have no plans for any more Glock purchases...
View Quote
Sounds like your M&P's multiplied like rabbits as mine did too.  Three Shields 9,45,and 380 for the wife who loves it plus 4.25 2.0 and Compact 2.0.  They are great guns.  May eventually pick up the fullsize FDE.  Still have my Glocks they just see a lot more safe time these days.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
For the rubber band guy, this grip snaps into the M&P grip system and adds a little beef to the grip.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/handall/hybrid/smith-wesson-mp
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Well a quick update for you all. I was able to get to the local indoor range and rented an M&P (9mm) and I am truly impressed. I really liked the grip and it felt way beyond my hand.  Trigger could use a little work but it is easily replaceable.  I definitely see an M&P in my future.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a G19/4 cerakote grey finish last summer. I do love the gun. I added Ameriglo night sights and Apex trigger and CT green laser. It is in my carry rotation as well as doing night stand duty for now. It is in my opinion one of the best CCW guns made for all the reasons most of you already know.
A couple of months ago I bought a Shield 45. That purchase may lead to another Shield in the future but in 9.
As much as I love the G19 I have to say S&W knocked it out of the park with the 45 Shield. The recoil is surprisingly mild and accuracy is very good as well. The only thing that may stop me from buying a Shield in the next few months might be the Sig P365. It is very much on my radar. I am waiting until after SHOT to see if S&W adds any upgrades to the Shield and then I will decide whether it will be the Shield or P365.
It may come down to the classic ARFCOM solution of get both.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I am an admitted Glock guy but I just have a hard time getting a good grip on them.  I have done the grip tape stuff and it sort of helps. I have really been interested in the M&P 2.0 and was wondering if there are any of you that had made the switch and if so do you feel like the M&P is a much better choice.  I think I just need a handgun with a wider grip.  Penny for your thoughts
View Quote
Most striker guns nowadays are pretty solid. Although I personally prefer a G19, I really like the M&P 2.0's, Sig 320's, VP9's and the Canik TP9 Combat Elite. Buy em, try em, sell em, buy something new. Call it a $200/ each rental program.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The one I shot was a 1.0 model (G17) equivalent. I put hands on a 2.0 today with the super grip texture and man it felt so good. Way more comfortable than a Glock. I might pick one up but might wait to see what is going on at SHOT.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking for HK USP/C for a few months, hoping to find a good price on a used one, but 'smitten' with the M&P 2.0 40C. I found a new one yesterday for 309 online, 10 bucks to ship, and ordered it. also, there is still a limited S&W rebate on the M&P for 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I picked up a new M&P 2.0 9mm 4.25".  The textured grip on it is awesome and the overall feel is so much better than my Glocks.  Thinking I might have to offload my Glocks now and switch over to M&P's now.

Now I have to find a good IWB holster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I picked up a new M&P 2.0 9mm 4.25".  The textured grip on it is awesome and the overall feel is so much better than my Glocks.  Thinking I might have to offload my Glocks now and switch over to M&P's now.

Now I have to find a good IWB holster.
View Quote
I have both Vedder and Comp Tac.  Both work well for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The 2.0 has become my favorite poly pistol of all time. As a 1911 guy I overscrutinize polymer guns and pick their shortcomings to death.

The m&p 2.0 has a lot going for it and is the current top dog in my opinion. Both value wise and capability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top