Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 9:01:24 PM EDT
Contemplating switching to owb carry with a commander for winter carry.

Thinkin 9 o clock. 45 degree cant. Thumb break for condition 1. But to pull it off with my clothes and body type i'll need 2" or less hanging below the belt.

Will this work and be stable and stay close to the body? Or too much flop without more barrel hang/below the belt material ro stablize?

Never carried this way before and before i commit to a holster i wanted some input from those who might be more familiar with this method and or model.

Thanx
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience OWB is less stable and harder to conceal and high ride is a slower draw.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
9 O'clock is for a left-handed person. Gun should be strong side. Cross draw telegraphs your intentions when you draw which is not desirable if you are drawing against an already drawn hostile gun.   Milt Sparks  55BN   OWB  If you are wearing a jacket,  hoodie,  suit etc over it this is a great holster and it rides close and very comfortable.   I tend to use Milt Sparks NEXUS with the magnetic snaps and being IWB it lays  even closer and conceals better all year around. It takes about 6 months to order one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my experience OWB is less stable and harder to conceal and high ride is a slower draw.
View Quote

What’s your carry rig setup?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
9 O'clock is for a left-handed person. Gun should be strong side. Cross draw telegraphs your intentions when you draw which is not desirable if you are drawing against an already drawn hostile gun.   Milt Sparks  55BN   OWB  If you are wearing a jacket,  hoodie,  suit etc over it this is a great holster and it rides close and very comfortable.   I tend to use Milt Sparks NEXUS with the magnetic snaps and being IWB it lays  even closer and conceals better all year around. It takes about 6 months to order one.
View Quote
Thanx.

Yeah im a lefty. Hense 9 o clock.

I tend to wear collared heavy over shirts or flannels in the winter when im inside. So thats why im thinking owb.

If i do a mock up just tucking the commander into my belt it disappears pretty well standing or sitting with a 45 degree canted. But if i lean and reach right i only got 2 inches concealment below the belt so it would have to ride pretty high.

I did iwb for a while with a smaller gun. Honestly i couldn't get used to it. Tried a bunch of different positions. I move around alot during the day to include getting up and sitting down. Found iwb Massively uncomfortable for me. Just isnt for me. Found myself grabbing an even smaller gun for pocket carry to avoid the hassle. Which isnt the right answer. Hense why i am looking for owb options.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Various kydex IWB holsters at 4 o’clock with a Wilderness 5 stitch belt or a MagPul or Kore with suits/dress clothes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Various kydex IWB holsters at 4 o’clock with a Wilderness 5 stitch belt or a MagPul or Kore with suits/dress clothes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Took these two out shooting yesterday. Going to start carrying the RMR a lot more.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
That's how I carry everything.  Key is a good belt.  Holster is secondary.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you!

Took these two out shooting yesterday. Going to start carrying the RMR a lot more.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155148/50C77137-9257-44AD-A241-848E4F2D5974_jpe-2356590.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155148/50C77137-9257-44AD-A241-848E4F2D5974_jpe-2356590.JPG

My daily carry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Owb works just fine. Not as concealable enough for me but nice on my days off.
Attachment Attached File

That is a Ryan Grizzle made with horsehide.

Kramer and Milt Sparks makes them do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This might help, though neither gun is a 1911.

Glock 17 in a Raven Perun. This rides very tightly to the body. I have not carried this very much.
Attachment Attached File

Glock 48 in a Bravo Concealment with their paddles. This is very comfortable and seems to be completely covered by most of my shirts even though I'm tall.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I still don't understand the 'more concealed' - concealed means obscured from view.  So it's either in view or not in view.

I rarely carry any other way than OWB, and aside from an occasional gust of wind, it's concealed.

Strong side or cross-draw, it's significantly more comfortable than IWB.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still don't understand the 'more concealed' - concealed means obscured from view.  So it's either in view or not in view.

I rarely carry any other way than OWB, and aside from an occasional gust of wind, it's concealed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/CrossDrawSM_jpg-2357309.JPG
View Quote

Not everyone lives in the Pacific Northwest and can comfortably wear a vest 12 months a year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not everyone lives in the Pacific Northwest and can comfortably wear a vest 12 months a year.
View Quote

An untucked unbuttoned light shirt works just as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Getting fired would suck and losing the only income for a family of 4 would too.

More concealable means no printing. Period.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That set up i could prolly pull of in the winter.

Hows the stability of the rig with it sitting that high.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This might help, though neither gun is a 1911.

Glock 17 in a Raven Perun. This rides very tightly to the body. I have not carried this very much.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20220421_175329700_jpg-2357131.JPG

Glock 48 in a Bravo Concealment with their paddles. This is very comfortable and seems to be completely covered by most of my shirts even though I'm tall.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/516916/IMG_20220421_175216031_jpg-2357134.JPG
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That set up i could prolly pull of in the winter.

Hows the stability of the rig with it sitting that high.
View Quote

With a good belt it's perfectly stable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#21]
My High Noon slide guard for my Sig tacops 10mm rides fairly high and is completely stable. Would have to measure to see if it’s 2 inches or more below the belt, might be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#22]
My daily carry even in the summer. I carry OWB almost exclusively. The only time I carry IWB is when I'm traveling to and from work. The holster, and belt you choose makes all the difference. This is a Milt Sparks holster and belt. I have others made by TT Gunleather. Craftsmanship on both are fantastic.
Attachment Attached File

TT Gunleather snap removable pancakeAttachment Attached File

TT Gunleather pancakeAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Take a look at the Mernickle Extreme Hi XHR.

As many have said, the belt is an essential part of keeping a hi/tight holster close.

Galco is low to medium quality, low durability leather for the masses, and very overpriced.

I have no connection but have worn a hi/tight Mernickle every day all day for about 4 (or 5?) years now and it's as good as the day I got it. Sparks sets a high standard and Grizzle is outstanding as well. Andrews leather is top notch.
Worst case scenario... buy a "bang for the buck"  Mernickle while you wait 6 months to a year + for a Sparks or Andrews.
Make sure you have the shoulder mobility to unholster a very hi placed gun without contortion  
45 degree seems like an awful lot to me but it WILL raise the bottom of the holster. Wrist angle be damned.

Lots of lightly used, high quality holsters on the ebay, if you want to do a test run of that style.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With a good belt it's perfectly stable.
View Quote
whats the make and model if you dont mind me asking?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My daily carry even in the summer. I carry OWB almost exclusively. The only time I carry IWB is when I'm traveling to and from work. The holster, and belt you choose makes all the difference. This is a Milt Sparks holster and belt. I have others made by TT Gunleather. Craftsmanship on both are fantastic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255192/IMG_3997_JPG-2357619.JPG
TT Gunleather snap removable pancakehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255192/IMG_3782_JPG-2357625.JPG
TT Gunleather pancakehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255192/IMG_3733_copy_JPG-2357627.JPG
View Quote
Pretty close to what i'm looking for. Except the thumb break for 1911 condition 1. Call me a sissy but i just prefer the extra security against an ND.

Still, pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Mernickle Extreme Hi XHR.

As many have said, the belt is an essential part of keeping a hi/tight holster close.

Galco is low to medium quality, low durability leather for the masses, and very overpriced.

I have no connection but have worn a hi/tight Mernickle every day all day for about 4 (or 5?) years now and it's as good as the day I got it. Sparks sets a high standard and Grizzle is outstanding as well. Andrews leather is top notch.
Worst case scenario... buy a "bang for the buck"  Mernickle while you wait 6 months to a year + for a Sparks or Andrews.
Make sure you have the shoulder mobility to unholster a very hi placed gun without contortion  
45 degree seems like an awful lot to me but it WILL raise the bottom of the holster. Wrist angle be damned.

Lots of lightly used, high quality holsters on the ebay, if you want to do a test run of that style.
View Quote
Good info!

Side note. I have 2 bianchi belts. They seem pretty solid. but if they end up not cutting it ill get something else.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It took a while to find the gun..with the pistol straight up
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/63BAAE00-3924-4B5E-A361-7D5C8ABF18FD-2358458.jpg

Forward cant
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/47E61DD6-4C3F-4D2A-A426-B0380717D836-2358460.jpg
View Quote
Thanx

And whats the make and model?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I already found a spot on the bottom/back of a safe, not digging around right now. I blew up the first picture and it looks like CCG Holsters?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/F3B10E8D-8DC3-47FE-9AB8-B8440B15F16D-2358508.png
View Quote
Hmm, Brave search looks like a cqc leather.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top