Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2020 11:40:31 AM EDT
I have had this light on my duty gun for approximately 2 years. Tonight while changing the batteries and cleaning sand off of it, the plastic on the hinge seemed to just fall apart. I did fall pretty hard recently while chasing someone with my gun out, I landed in sand and my hand took most of the hit as I was trying to block the gun from damage or discharge. Idk if it somehow was damaged from that but seems unlikely given the soft landing material and location of the switch when mounted.

Sent an email to streamlight, hopefully I can get it up and running and only be down a light a few shifts. Seems like a pretty fragile design for something thats exposed to relatively hard use on occasion. With that said, I have had several of these on personal use guns with no issue and this is the first issue out of this one. Looks like I'll have to brush up on my handheld flashlight techniques for a bit

pic
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same thing happen to the one I have on my G21.
And I carry it in a kydex holster that retains on the light, which pretty much shutdown the whole operation.

Stream light sent me a new battery door.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same problem OP.  I just kept the parts.

Tagged to see what streamlight says.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had the same problem OP.  I just kept the parts.

Tagged to see what streamlight says.
View Quote

Just call their customer service.  It is a known issue, they will replace it free.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had the same thing happen to the one I have on my G21.
And I carry it in a kydex holster that retains on the light, which pretty much shutdown the whole operation.

Stream light sent me a new battery door.
View Quote

The door on one of my TRL-1s (old, older than an HL) broke; Streamlight also sent me a new one, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually just email them. I've broken two or three in the same spot. The first time I called the customer service rep told me just to send an email. I had new ones in under a week.

Cant you be issued a replacement in the meantime.?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just call their customer service.  It is a known issue, they will replace it free.
View Quote
Will do.  I've owned it for quite a few years so didn't think they'd help.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 of the TLR’s, one on my duty G17, personal G19 & G22.

It’s a toss up on round count between the 17 & 19 but the light on the 19 has been mounted on all three guns. That one light has the most use and shows a little erosion on top of the lens housing from it’s time on the G19. Other than that, no real issues.

Tagging to hear Streamlights response.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I usually just email them. I've broken two or three in the same spot. The first time I called the customer service rep told me just to send an email. I had new ones in under a week.

Cant you be issued a replacement in the meantime.?
View Quote

Its one of the few pieces of gear we have to purchase our self. Its not issued, just personally owned and approved to carry at work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I broke one there. As people are saying, it's fairly common. I ordered a new one from amazon. I didn't even think to call streamlight. It seams they'll send you a new one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its one of the few pieces of gear we have to purchase our self. Its not issued, just personally owned and approved to carry at work.
View Quote

If you need a light to hold you over until yours gets back in service, just shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]
IMO if you use a TLR-1 you should buy or request a spare battery door to keep on hand to get you up and running as soon as possible. It *will* break sooner or later.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve never had that problem, but I have dealt with Streamlight’s customer service and they are top notch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Streamlight sent me a replacement for mine as well. It broke while changing the batteries. I quickly found out that it's a known issue and it really grinds my gears. If they know they have a design flaw why can't they fix it with an aluminum door or something? Streamlight will never get another dollar from me. Surefire all the way. Although their battery door on the X300 is also plastic. So we'll see how that holds up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Streamlight sent me a replacement for mine as well. It broke while changing the batteries. I quickly found out that it's a known issue and it really grinds my gears. If they know they have a design flaw why can't they fix it with an aluminum door or something? Streamlight will never get another dollar from me. Surefire all the way. Although their battery door on the X300 is also plastic. So we'll see how that holds up.
View Quote

My x300u quit working today. Shit happens. You just have to hope the manufacturer takes care of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If Streamlight could figure out their switches they'd be awesome, as it is now they're a solid value but the switches are almost always the culprit when issues arise.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If Streamlight could figure out their switches they'd be awesome, as it is now they're a solid value but the switches are almost always the culprit when issues arise.
View Quote

At least they have their CS to actually take care of you. If Surefire doesn’t get their shit together CS wise I’m walking away. I have been a loyal kool aid drinker for a long time and own dozens of their lights and 3 suppressors, but the two times I’ve needed something they basically told me go fly a kite.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate the offer very much, one of our training unit guys let me borrow his.

Streamlight replied the day following this post and said they were sending out the replacement part. Just waiting on it to come in and will update when its in hand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
The TLR battery doors have been a weak point for over a decade now, I’ve busted a couple before I moved over to the surefire X300.
These days you can score a x300 for $200 which is awesome compared to the old price of $270.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Streamlight will take care of you.  They have good customer service, and as has been noted above, this is a known issue/fail point.

That being said, the SureFire X300U doesn’t have that issue.  You can find an X300U for sale for under $200 on Bigtexoutdoors.com all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top