Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 5:15:30 PM EDT
Does anyone know if TISAS 1911's have small tenon, large tenon or GI front sights? Is the rear sight dovetail GI or something different?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the tenon, which 1911 do you know has GI dovetail? I have a few I could put a caliper on but need to know who follows the GI platform.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
While a skilled gunsmith can replace staked on front sights, sadly there are few that have the experience to do it right. Most people will advise if you really want to change sights on a gun with a staked in front, to simply have it dove tailed to a standard dimension like Novak.
I would probably just send the slide to Novak and they will dovetail the front and install front and rear of your choice. I have not used them personally but hear they do good work at a fair price with reasonable turnaround time
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know about the tenon, which 1911 do you know has GI dovetail? I have a few I could put a caliper on but need to know who follows the GI platform.
View Quote

It "looks like" the GI rear dovetail, but being foreign in manufacture I have no idea if they used the original dimensions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While a skilled gunsmith can replace staked on front sights, sadly there are few that have the experience to do it right. Most people will advise if you really want to change sights on a gun with a staked in front, to simply have it dove tailed to a standard dimension like Novak.
I would probably just send the slide to Novak and they will dovetail the front and install front and rear of your choice. I have not used them personally but hear they do good work at a fair price with reasonable turnaround time
View Quote

I can replace the front staked sight and rear sight, I am trying to discover if anyone else who has done this before and what size they are so I can order proper replacements.

I sent emails to SDS and TISAS and they haven't responded. This pistol was purchased to be a cheap knock about, I'm not willing to pay for dovetail milling and premium sights, I just want to upgrade using the current sights.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
btt
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the 1911A1 US Army model and I believe the sight was milled as a part of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the 1911A1 US Army model and I believe the sight was milled as a part of the slide.
View Quote

No old school 1911's have milled in front sights. I purchased a small tenon (standard GI) front tenon and will post the size once I remove the old sight. Hoping I didn't waste my money......

All old school 1911's have swaged tenon front sights.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No old school 1911's have milled in front sights. I purchased a small tenon (standard GI) front tenon and will post the size once I remove the old sight. Hoping I didn't waste my money......

All old school 1911's have swaged tenon front sights.
View Quote

I know GI 1911's have tenon sights. You were asking about the Tisas. I believe mine was milled as part of the slide as there was no seam or staking underneath. Mine was a fairly recent model.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know GI 1911's have tenon sights. You were asking about the Tisas. I believe mine was milled as part of the slide as there was no seam or staking underneath. Mine was a fairly recent model.
View Quote

I suppose anything is possible with CNC milling machines. That would eliminate the need to make and install front sights manually.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The TISAS site shows replacement front sights with tenons, they just don't tell what size.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I got out my Springfield Armory 1911A1 I bought years ago and it supposed to be GI spec. I used a narrow tenon front sight and the rear dovetail at the base is 8.4mm  or .330 inches.
I had no trouble fitting the rear sight, bought at MGW gunworks at the time and used  a 1911 front sight stake tool I bought at Brownells. I would just go ahead and remove the front
sight to see which one you would need, I can spec the narrow tenon on my spare FS if you need.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Narrow tenon measures .055", large tenon is .125", assuming TISAS is using US GI prints it should measure .055".
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I flipped the pack over, I got the sights at Brownells. It does indeed spec out at .055 so you should be fine. I should add I replaced the sear, disconnector and leaf spring  in
my Tisas Army and had no problem at all with fitment so I would be confident the entire gun is GI spec.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My TISAS SDS 1911 front sight tenon is .055" and the rear dovetail measures .320".

I purchased a set from Harrison Designs with a .340" rear and was able to remove enough metal from the sight bottom to achieve an interference fit.

Final rear sight base dimensions were approximately .325". I own a VISM sight pusher that made drifting it into the dovetail easy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top