Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2019 5:54:57 PM EDT
Friends should I buy the 600 lumen Surefire X300 for my home defense Beretta 92 or should I get the brighter 1000 lumen version? That almost seems too bright for my tiny apartment,

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There is such a thing as too bright indoors

600 is PLENTY.

I have a 400 lumen light on my gun and it’s plenty bright enough inside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the 600 used and buy ammo with $ saved. The 600 sees as far as I can shoot with a pistol anyway.

And for the first motherfucker that says there is no such thing as too many lumens, then why do you have sunglasses?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless it's a $ issue go with more lumens and get some training. After training you'll only want more light.

I'm not getting rid of or trading my 600lumen surefire because it's good enough, but would if someone wanted a 1-1 trade.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
1,000 lumens.

People saying that 600 is enough and 1,000 will get you killed in the streets do not understand much about light.

I have multiple 3,000 lumen recessed lights inside of my home, but strangely I'm not blinded when I turn on the lights at 4 am. Odd...
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of these lights are 1,000 lumens, but appear very different. This is due to the concentration of light, also known as the "hot spot" which is in reference to candela.

The light on the left is a smaller light that I use for utility tasks. The light on the right is dedicated to spotting objects far away.

Same output, different beams. So next time someone says 1,000 lumens is too much, I hope your eye twitches like mine does.

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1,000 lumens.

People saying that 600 is enough and 1,000 will get you killed in the streets do not understand much about light.

I have multiple 3,000 lumen recessed lights inside of my home, but strangely I'm not blinded when I turn on the lights at 4 am. Odd...
View Quote
Link to 3,000 lumen light bulb please
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The more, the better.  Doesn’t listen to people that think you’ll blind yourself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link to 3,000 lumen light bulb please
View Quote
My apologies, they are 3000K and 1750 lumens. I have about a dozen throughout the main rooms.

There are six in my kitchen alone, so that's about 10,000 lumens of light and I don't need sunglasses to cook.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-120W-Equivalent-Bright-White-3000K-BR40-Dimmable-Exceptional-Light-Quality-LED-Light-Bulb-TBR40-18030FLFH25-12DE26-1-11/304491878

I have multiple flood lights that are even brighter for outside at night.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
600 is plenty.

I know we are in the Lumen Warz (tm) but unless we are talking about outdoors with distance issues.....600 lumen is plenty.

Now, outside....give me those lumenz and bezelz (tm).
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My apologies, they are 3000K and 1750 lumens. I have about a dozen throughout the main rooms.

There are six in my kitchen alone, so that's about 10,000 lumens of light and I don't need sunglasses to cook.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-120W-Equivalent-Bright-White-3000K-BR40-Dimmable-Exceptional-Light-Quality-LED-Light-Bulb-TBR40-18030FLFH25-12DE26-1-11/304491878

I have multiple flood lights that are even brighter for outside at night.
View Quote
That's not how lumens work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's not how lumens work.
View Quote
I'm aware. I'm adding to the lunacy of this thread and how much misinformation there is about light output.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
600 is plenty.

I know we are in the Lumen Warz (tm) but unless we are talking about outdoors with distance issues.....600 lumen is plenty.

Now, outside....give me those lumenz and bezelz (tm).
View Quote
That's where a higher candela light comes into play, not necessarily more lumens.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Both of these lights are 1,000 lumens, but appear very different. This is due to the concentration of light, also known as the "hot spot" which is in reference to candela.

The light on the left is a smaller light that I use for utility tasks. The light on the right is dedicated to spotting objects far away.

Same output, different beams. So next time someone says 1,000 lumens is too much, I hope your eye twitches like mine does.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/58822223_10156231279195963_6131007674067714048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_eui2=AeErY8XHd3OnM6M9bai8CvWDFHHkcLg3tkVIwPowk_p551N7jSUV4NJgxT4awBt4dn7QrN9LYwrYC_wYFE0FXFZSTN2uKwGO6BlGFH54Q66bbw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=41b612a903c52b85ecf90baba57ec8f7&oe=5D9C5012
View Quote
Good post and I like the tight beams because the way I can stay behind cover and not light myself up. I dont know about the new surefire beam but the old 600 lm is nice and tight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, gang. I need to take a WML class. Seems many are saying with proper use and training 1000 is not too much.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks, gang. I need to take a WML class. Seems many are saying with proper use and training 1000 is not too much.
View Quote
That's a good take away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the 600. Would rather have the 1000. 600 is good too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
For a handgun get the 1,000, it is excellent. It has a much broader beam with a lower candela than the 600 lumen light. This gets you less throw but more coverage and the less intense hotspot is noticeable when comparing the two in the dark (this is acceptable on a handgun IMO). You do lose some range but that's OK on a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
1000 will reach around corners like nobody's bidnez....600 not quite as well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 2:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Olight. That's the answer. F SF. SF has been getting their asses handed to them by Olight for quite a few years now. SF is overpriced, old tech, .Gov contract stuff (not exactly cutting edge).
Personally, I wouldn't use a SF product if it were given to me (for free). Hot garbage. While I applaud them for being made in the USA... other than that... they have NOTHING going for them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Olight. That's the answer. F SF. SF has been getting their asses handed to them by Olight for quite a few years now. SF is overpriced, old tech, .Gov contract stuff (not exactly cutting edge).
Personally, I wouldn't use a SF product if it were given to me (for free). Hot garbage. While I applaud them for being made in the USA... other than that... they have NOTHING going for them.
View Quote
Olights WML's are not as amazing as people think they are.

I had the opportunity to compare multiple lights and a few handhelds:

Olight PL-MINI
Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Streamlight HL-X (Handheld)
Streamlight TLR-7
Surefire X300U (1000 lumens)

Out of all the lights, the top three performers were the TLR-1 HL, HL-X, and X300U. The PL-2 boasts a claimed 1,200 lumens, but the runtime is only 1.5 minutes before it reverts to 600 lumens and the beam pattern is not as impressive as 1200 lumens sounds like. Olight isn't beating anyone.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Olight PL-MINI
Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Streamlight TLR-7

Out of all the lights, the top three performers were the TLR-1 HL, HL-X, and X300U. The PL-2 boasts a claimed 1,200 lumens, but the runtime is only 1.5 minutes before it reverts to 600 lumens and the beam pattern is not as impressive as 1200 lumens sounds like. Olight isn't beating anyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Olight PL-MINI
Olight PL-2 Valkyrie
Olight S1 Mini Baton
Streamlight TLR-1 HL
Streamlight TLR-7

I also don't trust cheap lights. They just don't last.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That too. None of the offerings from Olight appear to be very robust. Their newest offering is 1500 lumens, IIRC, but it still has a low candela rating and uses a proprietary rechargeable battery. Rechargeable batteries are fine, but not being able to replace the rechargeable, that can fail, isn't something I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That too. None of the offerings from Olight appear to be very robust. Their newest offering is 1500 lumens, IIRC, but it still has a low candela rating and uses a proprietary rechargeable battery. Rechargeable batteries are fine, but not being able to replace the rechargeable, that can fail, isn't something I'm interested in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive been weary of olights since they came out. There is always a reason something is that cheap compared to a proven light.

I recommend to anybody to stick to Surefire and Streamlight, and I honestly don't even really trust Streamlight all that much.

I've owned probably a dozen Surefires and I've never had one fail me. The first Streamlight I bought had issues straight out the box. I'm on number 2 now, but Unfortuantely its the only decent option for that particular gun. (Shield)
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ive been weary of olights since they came out. There is always a reason something is that cheap compared to a proven light.

I recommend to anybody to stick to Surefire and Streamlight, and I honestly don't even really trust Streamlight all that much.

I've owned probably a dozen Surefires and I've never had one fail me. The first Streamlight I bought had issues straight out the box. I'm on number 2 now, but Unfortuantely its the only decent option for that particular gun. (Shield)
View Quote
Streamlight is cheaper due to being manufactured in China, but they are quality lights.Surefire is made in USA. The quality and price reflect that. As far as pistol lights go, Streamlight and Surefire are good to go.

Olight is not preferred by many people who actually use WML's, so that should be a clue. It's pretty obvious when the folks that buy Olight continually put down on Surefire. Most likely because they can't afford one or find the price unbelievable. They also typically have zero experience with Surefire lights. Olight is also known for paying big bucks to YouTube personalities to get good "reviews" and promote their products.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The more, the better.  Doesn’t listen to people that think you’ll blind yourself.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top