Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 1:14:10 PM EDT
I am going to chop and cut and butcher a Glock frame here soon. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a glock polymer filler... I have seen a lot about using epoxy, bedding chemicals, some marine tex and others but I am wondering if anyone knows what the real pro's use, something that pours in, hardens up, then shapes, forms stipples like Glock polymer?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what pro's use, but possibly they use a plastic welder.

This is a device that actually welds, but does it with polymer instead of metal.  
It can be used to build up plastic parts, and since it's actually welded to the part it can't come off.

The problem with most epoxies and other products like it on modern glass fiber-bearing polymers is that it's very difficult to get any glues or putty type products to adhere to it.
The glues just don't stick unless you put holes, undercuts, or other areas for the epoxy to form a lock with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock has never reveled the actual material.

It is likely some version of Nylon 66 with fibers added.

In any case it is a PITA to get things to stick to it long term without some type of mechanical interlocking.

Most Nylons can be fusion joined but without knowing the filler and actual type temperature would be a wild guess/trial and error.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
just drill a few holes, mask off well, and use marine epoxy.  It has worked for thousands of Glock modders
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you stipple the marine epoxy just like you would the rest of the grip?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you stipple the marine epoxy just like you would the rest of the grip?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You realize you can either use the scrap plastic you chop off of the frame as blending material, or just use the backstraps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been wanting to find something like this for a long time.  Please post pics of your finished product I would love to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You can remold the backstrap to an extent with a candle or heat gun. I did it on a Gen 3 years ago.
A google search for Glock candle backstrap should give you tons of info.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Years ago I read about a method guys used to fix bodywork on RC cars or something like that.

They would take pieces of the same plastic material and put it in a container with IIRC lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner would liquefy the plastic pieces and they could  pour/apply it to the broken panels.

I wonder if one could use a similar process to fill in the grip on a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had really good luck with that urethane sealant that they used to install windshields with.  Twice when I've had windshield replaced I've asked the glass shop guy if there's anything left in the tube of sealer that he uses could I have it and both times I've gotten at least a half inch left in the squeezy tube.  You have to seal it up really good to get it home, and use it fairly quickly, but the stuff is pretty awesome.

On a related note it's also the best stuff I found to repair chips and cracks in sprayed in Bedliners.  That's actually how I discovered this stuff, I used the remainder of a tube to fix chips in my sprayed on bedliner but I ran out of repairs before I ran out of goop and I thought gee I wonder if I could use it on something else....   the downside is it is stupid expensive if you're just buying it and the tube has a finite shelf life no matter whether you used it or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had really good luck with that urethane sealant that they used to install windshields with.
View Quote

That is some tough stuff.
It remains at lest partially flexible enough to allow for
expansion and contraction of the glass and the car mounting points.
It also grabs onto hard smooth surfaces (metal and glass) tenaciously.
Opened tube life is NOT all that long though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You realize you can either use the scrap plastic you chop off of the frame as blending material, or just use the backstraps.
View Quote

This. Epoxies and other adhesives don't accept texture like the frame material.

Cut a backstrap into thin strips and use a wood burner to melt it in, like a filler rod on a welder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top