Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 11:47:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some different ammo.  I have had sticky extraction with those same loads in my Mt gun.  They are the only ones that were tight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, I reloaded those same cases with a 240 and a more moderate powder charge, 1,000 FPS.  They did not stick.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=180

There are many other tutorials on polishing revolver chambers online.
That would be MY first step, and troubleshoot from there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=180

There are many other tutorials on polishing revolver chambers online.
That would be MY first step, and troubleshoot from there.
View Quote
I wouldn't use a Dremel.  I have taken a worn bore brush, wrapped it with a large patch coated with polishing compound, and chucked it up in a battery drill and gone to town.  

I would also take a good look at the chambers of the "new to you" .44, and see if maybe it had a diet of .44spl in its life, and left some rings in your chamber that need a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Look in the chambers and make sure there isn't a ring left from 44 specials being fired in it.  I know you say it's only been fired 3 times, but people don't always tell the truth.  When I worked at an indoor range we had 357's that would get a steady diet of 38's and when someone would shoot 357 out of them it would do exactly what you are describing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d do a little hand polishing with some Flitz before I’d use any sort of machine. A patch on a tight fitting jag is what I’d use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a well used Model 19 that did this - very sticky once fired but unfired ammo just fell out.  I had a very slight ding on the chamber mouth, and this was all it took to make them stick, hard.  A little work with a fine file, and its smooth as silk now.

I'd clean it well and take a real good look for any imperfection with a bright light.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd clean it real good before doing anything permanent.  I have the same gun and fired the same rounds through it with no issues.  If ammo is still sticking I'd send it back to S&W for repair.  A performance center gun should not have tight cylinder chambers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I see "Performance Center" guns, straight from distributers with the same amount of flaws as run of the mill S&W's.
PC is just a name at this point, the guns have different features but are screwed together with the same amount of QC no more.
Up until say 8 or 12 years ago I considered a trip to S&W for modification or repair to be a safe bet but no more.
Only revolver smiths with solid reputations are suitable imo today.
Polishing chambers is an easy task for any somewhat mechanically inclined human but multiple reputable smiths will do it for you, much, much better than the S&W mothership will. Sad but true, driven by price.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
800 grit flex hone with lots of oil. They make a 400 grit, but I've been hesitant to use them. I have them for 357, 44 and 45 and they've all helped sticky extraction issues. Just chuck it in a drill, go slow and don't run it out the end of the chambers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Also make sure the chambers are bone dry. People often mistakenly lube the chambers, which creates a sort of hydraulic resistance and causes sticky extraction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top