Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2020 8:47:24 AM EDT
Do we have database of which pistols will handle Steel-Cased ammo without issue and which ones won't?

My G17 gen3 and my G19 gen2  have both fired many thousands of rounds of WOLF & Tula without an issue. I have "heard" both Sig and Walther do not play well with Steel cases. That is NOT a knock aginst either brand, just what I have been told.

It would be interesting to see empirical data on this across many pistols and multiple experiences.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me caveat this with a small sample size disclosure of n=500 rounds or so. With that said, my CZ75 SP01, Roland Special 19, Dan Wesson, and MP5 clone all did their job with the half case of Wolf 9mm that I had sitting around. It's loaded reasonably warm and while dirty, honestly wasn't that bad. I've shot brass that I found to be dirtier (looking at you "Winchester LE grade" ball ammo).

I went back to the normal diet of Speer Lawman and S&B 124gr but would be fine using Wolf steel for practice if the cost savings were more substantial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve shot tons of Wolf, Tula and Barnaul Silver/brown bear with no issues through multiple kinds of handguns and AR’s. Actually most all my malfunctions have been from brass cases ammo. I love the stuff!
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Nearly all of my guns live on a near 100% diet of steel case.  Doesn't matter the brand or type of pistol or rifle.  If it wont' run it I won't keep it around.  That being said I've yet to have a handgun give me any issues eating steel case across different brands of pistols.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My Glocks and M&Ps will eat steel-cased ammo like candy. When I had VP9s...the choked HARD on steel case (stuck cases that needed to be punched out with a cleaning rod).
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Glocks and M&Ps will eat steel-cased ammo like candy. When I had VP9s...the choked HARD on steel case (stuck cases that needed to be punched out with a cleaning rod).
View Quote

Stepped chambers don't do well with steel or aluminum generally.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Never shot steel, but my Walther P99s run just fine with Federal aluminum cased 9mm, and they have stepped chambers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Found a box of Wolf 9mm in a random 50 cal tin and shot it today. My VP9SK, CZ75 SP01, and MP5 clone all liked it. It felt loaded soft, but no more so than UMC and other watered down 9mm brass. I didn't chrono it so take that observation as anecdotal.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't shoot much Steel cased Pistol. I just got a new Gen3 Glock 21 .45. I called Glock they said its OK. I smoked the barrel on a 16'' lightweight barrel Colt AR15.I replaced the barrel with a Daniel defense barrel and am still shooting Steel bi metal ammo out of it. Wolf, Barnel and a lot of Silverbear by Barnel. Many 1000s of rounds however. I am Leary of using it 2 Les Baers and a Custom Kimber 1911s. I did pick up a case of Silverbear for the Glock.

Heres a test from Lucky gunner.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/#erosion
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Rifle ammo is much higher velocity than handgun ammo, and because of this will do more damage, faster, than handgun ammo of the same construction.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Shooting out a pistol barrel takes a lot of work, regardless of bullet construction. That wouldn't be my concern with steel case in pistols. If they feed and eject well, you're GTG. I don't shoot steel in pistols often but it has nothing to do with barrel wear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Velocities are much lower.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of rounds with brass cased ammo if the various reports from competition shooters are to be believed.  With a Glock barrel running around 150 dollars for a new OEM one I'm not sweating it.  

Quoted:
Found a box of Wolf 9mm in a random 50 cal tin and shot it today. My VP9SK, CZ75 SP01, and MP5 clone all liked it. It felt loaded soft, but no more so than UMC and other watered down 9mm brass. I didn't chrono it so take that observation as anecdotal.
View Quote

Some of it is comparable to brass cased ammo.  Brown Bear for instance is around 1200fps with a 115gr bullet.  Some people have seen faster velocities out of the various Bear ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have shot steel case through Glocks, Springfield Armory XDs, an old Walther P38 ( 1mag full), My Springfield Armory 1911.45 with no problems. I am talking low quantities through all these guns. I have 2 target pistols that I have never shot it through, a CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange 9mm and a Sig P226 X6 L1. Both of these guns are like tack drivers to me and I don't want to mess them up as they weren't cheap. What to you guys think, should I try the steel case stuff through them? I only have a few boxes of 9mm steel case. Some Russian white box (old), wolf, brown bear, & silver bear/

Thanks,
Mark

PS: I have shot a lot of aluminum case ammo through both guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top