Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The guide rod on my XD40 jammed up my gun during a class. Good thing I had my Glock 30 as a back up to finish up the class. There is an actual YouTube video on how to unstuck your guide rod on an XD. The fix worked to get it unstuck. But I have to figure out why it jammed... that was 3 years ago. The XD is just hanging out in my safe.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have owned 2 XD Subcompacts (ex wife took one of them) and one XDM. All in 9mm I used the XDM for about 3 years while I taught at the police academy. Put about 12,000 or so rounds of 9mm +P through it. The only problem was it got to the point the magazines would not lock the slide back. Other then that it worked great. Replaced it with a G21, since that what I was issued at my home agency, and I wanted to use the exact same gun while teaching. Other then the magazine issue it was a great accurate gun, decent trigger pull. I enjoyed shooting it. No issues with the XD subcompacts either. Not near as many rounds though them of course. Probably about 3,000 rounds through the one I have now.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I loves me some used XD's.    They just fit my hand so much better, and I am so very much more accurate with them.  Being from IL, I am still pissed at them for the anti-gun stuff, but thats why I buy used.  I get guns I want, and I deprive SA of a sale.  Replace all the springs, yes, you have to replace all of the springs, but then you already know what brands to buy.  Are they as tough as a glock...  nope, but I shoot my XD's better than my glocks, and that is the answer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an XD when they first came out in the US and now have an XDm. I enjoy shooting them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I had heard negative things about Springfield's politics, but found a 4" XD Mod .2 45 ACP on sale a few months ago for a great price.  I took a chance, and ended up loving the way it shoots.  The gun was incredibly accurate, the recoil was less than any other 45 I have ever shot, and the design seemed to perfectly fit my hand.  I liked it so much that I picked up the Subcompact a few weeks later.  

My only problem with Springfield is that they have now discontinued the Mod .2 line for most models (I think they may be keeping the XD-S single stacks).  I know people hated the "Grip Zone" writing on the grip, but it should've been fairly simple to just stop putting that on the grip (or at least write "Bang Zone" on the slide to even things out).  In a market where it seems like every gun store in town can move any polymer semi-auto in any caliber but .40 S&W, I don't see any reason to discontinue what seems to be a successful model.  I don't have much experience with Springfield's other products, but the decision to discontinue the Mod .2 line turned me from being a new fan of the line to being disappointed with the company.  I'm still looking to pick up a 9mm Mod .2, but I'm not willing to pay the prices that the very few stores that have them in stock are asking.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Long time lurker, long, long, long time 40 XD Service owner. Owned a G19 since the mid 90's. Shot it. A lot. 3 broken trigger return springs, 2 chipped extractors, terrible trigger, non drop free mags that swelled when loaded... Then I picked up the XD around the late 90's. WOW. Good trigger, stainless mags that inserted and dropped like they were on rails, AND it naturally pointed and felt much better than the 2x4 feeling Glock.

I worked as an RO every weekend at a private outdoor range in Florida for almost 20 years carrying and SHOOTING it. A lot. Thousand of rounds. 10's of thousands (?) over the years. Steel Challenge, IDPA, Pins. Never an issue with mags. And handled lead reloads. Finally started having FTE's. Could see the extractor was almost worn off. Called SA. They wanted the gun and had FEDEX pick it up on their dime. 10 days later it was back. New locking block, new recoil springs, extractor, firing pin. All on them. Pretty good service I'd say.

Picked up a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel (Firedragon) about five years ago and it's getting quite the workout with this old man at my new club shooting against the kids in new Steel Matches.

I now have two identical 40 Service (and conversion barrels), one 9mm Tactical and daily carry an XDs 9mm. I don't know I would buy new from Springfield now with their policy screw up but the XD line  are fine serviceable firearms.

That's my opinion and guarantied to be worth what you paid for it.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll jump in.

I've owned pre-XDM, pre Mod 2, pre-"Grip Zone" fullsize XD pistols in 9mm and .45.

I really like the way the fullsize 4" XD9 points and balances for me.  The shape of the gripframe and the grip angle make me think of the Browning Hi-Power, one of my favorite pistols, though it doesn't balance quite like the Browning.  It comes up on target very naturally.  It's run 100% with all the ammo I've tried, including steelcase.  On the other hand, the trigger is heavy, squishy, mushy, and draggy, with a mushy release.  It's not distractingly bad or heavy, and it feels worse in dry fire than it does with live ammo.  I wish the mags held another couple rounds, but that's minor.

I've also owned a 5" "Tactical" in .45.  It fits my hand better and pointed better and felt better than a Glock 21, with the same capacity.  The trigger was even heavier, mushy and gritty like twenty miles of bad road, and it took a lot of conscious concentration on my grip and trigger control to shoot it proficiently.  And while it ran perfectly with hardball and the different factory hollowpoints I tried, it absolutely would not function with reloads with 200gr lead SWC.  I got what appeared to be the damnedest failure-to-feed stoppages over and over.  I checked some forums and learned that it's not uncommon.  The explanation I found said the magazine holds the top round very high to help with feeding reliability with hollowpoints, but the top cartridge is so high that the big blunt flat meplat of the H&G #68 type cast bullets I favor in .45 interferes with ejection.  The base of the extracted case hits the meplat of the bullet of the top cartridge in the mag before hitting the ejector and the case may slip off the extractor and bounce around, usually making it out of the ejection port but pushing the top cartridge down at the front or rear or to the side and making it look like the top cartridge is nose-diving or porpoising, plus the occasional stovepipe.  Some people said that seating the bullet out a few hundredths longer could make the gun run 99% with ammo with that bullet but never 100%.  I will let you guys decide how plausible that sounds.  It also makes it sound like there might be some hollowpoint bullet designs that could cause the same problem, if the hollowpoint cavity were so wide that it could catch the base of a fired case being extracted in the same way, but it didn't happen with WWB 230gr JHP, 230gr Gold Dots, 185gr or 230gr Golden Sabers, Hornady XTPs in any weight, or some old Hydra-Shoks I found.  230gr cast lead roundnose loaded to match the OAL of factory hardball didn't cause the problem.

I also picked up a tip from one of the competition forums on another site years ago.  If you put a Wolff 20lb recoil spring in the 5" XD45, at least with hardball or equivalent fullpower ammo it would shoot absolutely flat with no muzzle rise that I could feel.  I hypothesize that this is the sweet spot where the recoil spring is just heavy enough to keep the slide from smacking into the frame at the rear of its travel, without preventing the slide from going back far enough to pick up the top cartridge or cock the striker or lock the slide back on the last shot, so it feels like the muzzle isn't rising as much.  Which made it that much more a shame that I couldn't shoot the 200gr wadcutter load with Bullseye that my 1911s shoot so well, and which makes such nice round holes in paper targets.  It might have been worthwhile to get a trigger job if not for the reliability problem.

All in all I am happier with my Smith M&P 9mm, which holds more boolits and had a more usable trigger out of the box.  Your mileage may vary.  I'm just one guy and I guess that 5" XD45 might have just been a lemon, but I did see lots of complaints from people having similar problems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
What he said above is spot on about not feeding my 200 gr LSWC in 45.   Otherwise, I like mine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 3:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
You do have to love a pistol that actually says on the slide "I'M METAL."
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm an XD service model owner since the late 90's as well.  I liked the original HS2000 and XD's but I'm less satisfied with the later guns.  

That reminds me...I still have a XDs that I haven't sent back for their recall...

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a pro shooter like the people on here and I've only have 1 XD40 (for over a decade), but I've not had a single problem with it.  I'm sure I haven't reached 12,000 rounds where a poster says they will supposedly start breaking but I have put multiple thousands of rounds through it and it's very comfortable and shoots great.  I haven't done any modifications to it.

I keep it by the nightstand and would love to have another.  I don't have any problem with my Glock43 but I'd much prefer to shoot the XD40.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:44:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got a XD9SC and a Glock 26. Both good guns. I like the grip on the XD better, but the top end (slide) feels top heavy and sits higher. Being that they are both pocket pistols I think the Glock is smaller. I've owned the XD for about 12 years, it was a panic buy when Obama got elected. I think I've only shot it 3 times.

The only real reason I may choose a Glock over a XD is the availability of parts (OEM and aftermarket).

I'm cruising this forum tonight because I'm looking at buying a XD9SC "defender" at a local store. They're $340 and it's been in the case for a couple weeks, I guess nobody wants it. I remember maybe 10+ years ago there was a fan boy following of the XD, but it seems like that has faded. I don't really hear anything about them outside of this forum. When the XDS came out a bunch of people jumped on board that train, I wanted one bad but never quite bought one. Now I never hear about those either.

I don't think XDs are bad. They're just another option. Pick your poison.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had, and sold, a XD45 Service, 2 XD9 Tacticals and XD9SC. They never gave me any trouble and the SC was very accurate. They ate any kind of ammo where my 9mm HKs and Walthers will not extract steel cases, period. I don't use steel ammo except doing drills but still a service pistol should be able to handle any factory ball ammo. I just didn't shoot them very much so I passed them along. I still have a 45 Compact Tactical and a XDM 45 Threaded that I like and have installed heavier springs for 45 Super. They still feed ball and lower power reloads reliably. A lot of the animosity is just fanbois who sneer at people who don't own the same brand. The triggers aren't great but that is why you train. Anybody need a used XD9 mag? Just found one I missed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had, and sold, a XD45 Service, 2 XD9 Tacticals and XD9SC. They never gave me any trouble and the SC was very accurate. They ate any kind of ammo where my 9mm HKs and Walthers will not extract steel cases, period. I don't use steel ammo except doing drills but still a service pistol should be able to handle any factory ball ammo. I just didn't shoot them very much so I passed them along. I still have a 45 Compact Tactical and a XDM 45 Threaded that I like and have installed heavier springs for 45 Super. They still feed ball and lower power reloads reliably. A lot of the animosity is just fanbois who sneer at people who don't own the same brand. The triggers aren't great but that is why you train. Anybody need a used XD9 mag? Just found one I missed.
View Quote

@t44e6

If you can't get any local takers, I'll take you up on the mag.  There is an XD-9SC in the load out for the family and only the 13 round mags with it, a larger mag wouldn't be unwarranted.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I own several XD that I have picked up over the years;

An early (post HS2000) XD9 - runs great, NEVER experienced a malfunction in thousands of rounds (far more than 2K).

An XD40 - bought it because it was stupid cheap right before the "M" was intorduced. Not a lot of rounds through it but it goes bang. IIRC there was some issue with certain mags but I can't recall which. The factory mags that came with MY gun and the MEC-GAR mags I also have all run fine in my gun.

An XDm45 - Nicest shooting .45acp I own. 13 round mag capacity is a good thing too. Runs FMJ, HP, truncated frangible all without issue.

An XDm45 "Tactical" - This came with a threaded barrel and tall sights, set-up from the factory as a suppressor host. It is GREAT in combination with my SiCo Osprey45. A lot of suppressed rounds through this gun. Never a malfunction.

Well built guns that are on-par with Glock and  S&W M&P.

However, I too am in the "never buy from Springfield again" club due to their corporate shenanigans to support a gun control agenda that carved out special exemptions for themselves. THAT along with the "GRIP ZONE" silliness and the "Oldest name in American firearms - MADE IN SERBIA" marketing blunder have given the XD series a bit of a
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This, I love my XD's, but will not give them any more of my money due to their
bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Springfield has done some dumb s—t wrt to 2A.

That’s the only issue with an XD.

This, I love my XD's, but will not give them any more of my money due to their
bullshit.

SA makes good enough guns, I've owned a few....but they will never get another dollar from until they get new leadership.

They actively lobbied for an anti-2a bill as long as they got a carve out as a large manufacturer and donated 10's of thousands of dollars to anti-2a Dem's.....FSA
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up a SLIGHTLY used XD9 Mod.2 bitone 5" tactical for $300.  It's an incredible gun.  I wouldn't buy a NEW springfield because of the stunt they pulled but used is a helluva score considering the current gun shortage-craze.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What’s with the hate for the XD’s? There’s a thread on gd that most think it’s a fudd gun and/or it’s a poor man’s glock wannabe! Please enlighten me.
View Quote

I have one of the XD-40 tacticals......and I love it. 100% reliable, accurate, and the trigger is decent.  

Not sure why the hate.....they are actually very nice guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just picked up a SLIGHTLY used XD9 Mod.2 bitone 5" tactical for $300.  It's an incredible gun.  I wouldn't buy a NEW springfield because of the stunt they pulled but used is a helluva score considering the current gun shortage-craze.
View Quote

That's a helluva deal regardless of current conditions, nicely done. I don't buy new Springfield's either but I won't hesitate to hop on a good used deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Sage Dynamics' Aaron Cowan reports that of 25 XD's students brought to his courses over a two year period, 20 had catastrophic failures (rendered the gun inoperable).

He's just one lucky guy I guess....
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sage Dynamics' Aaron Cowan reports that of 25 XD's students brought to his courses over a two year period, 20 had catastrophic failures (rendered the gun inoperable).

He's just one lucky guy I guess....
View Quote

Wow. How many rounds do they fire in a class? I find that pretty hard to believe. I've only heard of one problem with an XD, I think the guy gpdropped it and the slide was half off the frame.
I will admit the XD isn't my first choice for long term hard use just because parts and aftermarket support are nowhere near that of Glock or 1911.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wow. How many rounds do they fire in a class? I find that pretty hard to believe. I've only heard of one problem with an XD, I think the guy gpdropped it and the slide was half off the frame.
I will admit the XD isn't my first choice for long term hard use just because parts and aftermarket support are nowhere near that of Glock or 1911.
View Quote

Looking at their site, it appears all their pistol courses require the student to bring 1,000 rounds of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Looking at their site, it appears all their pistol courses require the student to bring 1,000 rounds of ammo.
View Quote

Yeah, unless the guns already had 10,000 rounds on them I can't imagine that 80% had a catastrophic failure from 1,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had a XD-9 4" since they first came out.  I've got 12-15K rounds through it and it runs like a champ, just eats any ammo I put through it.  Seen it jam on a limp wrist by someone who hadn't shot much but its been nearly flawless for me.  Back in the early 00's we would go shooting and I'd dump 500 rounds though it in a day, a few of us shooting it, and no problems.   I prefer the grip angle a bit to the glock and it shoots very accurately.

Had an XDs-9 3.3" that I sold.  It was fine and shot well but I just didn't shoot it very well and it was replaced by a FN-509C.

I'd buy another one if SA hadn't fucked themselves with their shenanigans.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What is very early? And is this just XDM's in 40? Or is that just the magazine issue?
View Quote

I had an XD9 that the extractor failed after about 500 rounds. Springfield sent me a shipping label and I got it back about 2 weeks later. The warranty is for the original purchaser, but when I asked if they needed proof of purchase, they told me no. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a helluva deal regardless of current conditions, nicely done. I don't buy new Springfield's either but I won't hesitate to hop on a good used deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold it for $465 this week!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#29]
No guns are perfect. A good percentage of the shit talking comes from fanbois of other makes repeating what they hear around the cracker barrel. Over the years I have owned 6 different XD pistols in 9 and 45. Fired thousands of rounds through them. One XD9 Tactical I bought was used in competition for years and had many thousands of rounds fired through it. AFIK it had no repairs or replaced parts. I shot it a lot and never had any hiccups. I am not a big fan of the grip safety, and have heard of failures, but I have never seen it myself and don't know anyone who has seen it irl. I sold them all over time except 2 45s which I shoot 45 Super out of. Not because I ever had any issues but because I am standardizing my primary weapons and don't need a dozen service pistols.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Now we have 2! Picked up a new one off GB with 5 mags and the DeSantis leather IWB for $400 for the wife.  Glad people are still spreading rumors around about XD unreliability. Keeps the prices down...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, got lucky at the gun show this weekend and picked up three mags for the wife's XD9sc for 15 each.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
There was a GD thread that prob got moved but as of this AM GunMagWarehouse has in stock full size xd 9, 40 mags for$12.99. crazy in this day and age.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Now we have 2! Picked up a new one off GB with 5 mags and the DeSantis leather IWB for $400 for the wife.  Glad people are still spreading rumors around about XD unreliability. Keeps the prices down...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/IMG_20201022_181123040_jpg-1680721.JPG
View Quote

Wow really nice score! Put some rubber grip tape on it and you won't need to change anything else. I agree some of the internet BS does allow for these to be underpriced for what an awesome pistol they are.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wow really nice score! Put some rubber grip tape on it and you won't need to change anything else. I agree some of the internet BS does allow for these to be underpriced for what an awesome pistol they are.
View Quote

I stippled about a half inch strip up the center of the front strap so it doesn't abraid my jacket lining. Works very well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a xd9 I got in 2008.  Absolutely love it.

Ran it in 2 gun for 10 years and never failed me.  

I bought a DV8 slide and a rmr2 for it this year and love it even more.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Carried a full size 45 XD for a duty weapon for 3 years
Gun had approx 4 k shot thru it by me and first owner

Only one issue to report
Had the short grip, so to 13 round full size mags had a plastic sleeve on them
Did a fast reload and pinched the palm on my hard bad enough to bleed
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm a 1911 and Glock fanboy ok?  Well in a recent range session my oldest son brought his XD45 Tactical Mod 2, I had a Glock 21 SF.  The dang XD outshot the Glock and felt better doing it too (I don't know what the hate is on the grip zone grip) but for me, it feels a hell of a lot better than the 21 SF monster grip - and still has 13+1 capacity in my beloved .45.

I proceeded to sell my G21 and talk my son out of his XD.  Shoot, sold the Glock for $550 and got the better shooting/feeling XD for $400 so I was happy.

Earl
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just picked up a XDM .45 ACP 4.5 model with the factory installed fiber optic front sight.

Pics incoming.

Got it for $400.
View Quote

Great deal.
Local gun store has one in 9mm that I want to match mine.  However, they are asking $100 more for it than the XDMe 9 sitting next to it and they won't come down on the price.  

ETA: Nevermind on that purchase, just read the above about how Springfield is screwing us.  No more for me, thanks.  Switching to Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Springfield didn't get a red cent from me. This gun is used. No profit sent to them.

https://i.imgur.com/6VoMYM9.jpg
View Quote

Dammit, yer one ahead of me now
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top