Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/5/2022 12:06:20 PM EDT
Anyone else having issues with the Springfield Prodigy, specifically the 5in model? I've had nothing but FTF, nosedives, stoppages, lock-ups, etc. Probably the only thing reliable out of this thing is it's accuracy, which is very good.

I've heard of plenty of other people having issues, in contrast to the fantastic reviews from Guntubers. Any fixes out there so far?

Edit: I FIXED IT

After a lot of tinkering, diagnosing, and cuss words, I figured out how to fix the Springfield Prodigy (5in, I'm not rich enough to afford both)

1.) 11-12# Recoil Spring (I used a Wilson Combat one)
2.) New non-MIM disconnector (Wilson Combat Bulletproof, but I'm sure others work too)
3.) Extractor Tuning
4.) Polish Everything (Slide Rails, Feed Ramp, Friction Points, etc)
5.) Magazine Tuning if absolutely necessary (I checked my mags referencing Atlas Gunworks Video, My duramags were in spec.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:I've had nothing but FTF, nosedives, stoppages, lock-ups, etc.
View Quote
You might want to consider sending it back to Springfield to give them a chance to fix it - on their dime.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I’ve read from legitimate guys testing these, is the recoil spring is too light for the gun prior to “breaking it in” which shouldn’t even be necessary.

I’ve seen where guys have had the same issues for the first 200-300 rounds and then things smooth out. But it -seems- the recoil spring just doesn’t have enough umph to get the slide reliably moving.

YMMV. A few good reviews on 1911addicts forum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a 12 or 14 lb recoil spring from Wilson combat.  I’d try that before shipping it back to SA. Have read from a few owners this resolved the feeding issues in the 5”.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, with the 5” model as well. Subscribed to this post for info as this is my first 2011 style gun & it’s been years since I owned a 1911 at all.

I will say my lock up occurred only with Magtech 124gr…not sure why as I have seen others post no issues with 124 gr in their 5”, but no lock up issues with 115 gr. Though I have not tried any other 124 gr ammo to see if it is that is a consistent issue, but the lock occurred 3 times with that Magtech ammo.

Numerous FTF’s in both the 17 & 20 round mags, the recoil spring just kinda of seems to quit for the first 3-4 rds and then will starting feeding again. Not sure if it’s a mag issue or spring.

I will say that I have noticed that I need to adjust my grip from striker fired guns as it seems that if my support hand thumb “drifts” high onto the slide that seems to interfere with the slide returning to battery. I have been trying to concentrate more on a proper grip as it could be me more than the gun, though I never had a limp wristing issue with any other handgun…willing to listen to others advice and some more range sessions before I contact Springfield and give them an earful.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 5" on Saturday, took it home, stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning, lubed it up and shot it yesterday. NO issues with the pistol. I did have one factory round that didn't fire. I ran almost 200 rounds thru it, 149 were factory 124gr, the rest were my reloads. The factory stuff ejected at about 4 o'clock. I did not run any defensive type ammo thru it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]
4.25 with 250 rds through it.

cleaned and lubed myself before shooting.

no issues so far. will order a heavier recoil spring to try.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought one myself and was reading/watching reviews . Here's a youtuber that is having the same issues as you with his pistol . If you watch the shorts video he points out what he did to correct the issue .
Springfield Prodigy 1911 DS - A new double stack 1911 9mm- Worth Buying?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried it with staccato mags?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Wonder if they use the same recoil spring in both models. Wouldn’t the longer slide and barrel need a longer/ stronger spring?

My gun store has the 4.25 in stock now and I’m waiting on the 5” to come in stock to buy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

they work just fine
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the slide is also hanging on the disconnector -- that speaks to a QA issue to me. Tolerance stacking in small parts is the bane of price-point guns with tight tolerances built into the design.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Springfield Armory - Prodigy 4.25 - First Shots review

another
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure about this Springfield but, I have a Turkey SDS 1911A1 9mm.  I cleaned lubed shot 100 rounds not a single problem.  I then put in a Woliff recoil standard weight I think 14# spring and a Wilson combat bullet proof SS firing pin.  Shoots fantastic for me.  I did polish and hone the top of the frame to make it super smooth.  Next I’ll strip it for a little work inside and replace parts with Wilson Combat items. I have found out 1911’s are a different animal compared to poly guns for sure.  Good luck
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I started self-diagnosing the issues based on what everyone has said and my own observations, I don't think it's a spring issue, I think it's a "the gun's kinda rough" issue. Not saying this isn't also potentially a spring issue.

I bit the bullet and polished all the slide rails and the feed ramp to as close to a mirror finish as I could get it, and I tell you what, that made a world of difference already. The slide already doesn't hang up anywhere close to as bad and it'll feed some Hornady 9mm hollow-points without much issue. Slide moves as fast as my Kimber Warrior.

Now I'm starting to wonder more if the gun's just a little too rough out of the box (would definitely support the 200-300 round break in period mentioned above), and the 5 in owners need to just shoot more and deal with the malfunctions for a minute or get to polishing
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Staccatos are handlapped.  The extra attention is reflected in the price.  Take it apart and polish.

Disconnector not an issue.  Polish it and where it goes over the slide.  1911 gunsmithing 101.  I make my guns reliable, but that’s just me.  

Want something you don’t have to polish, pay more coin and get a Staccato.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they work just fine
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they work just fine

I’m talking to the guy having feeding issues. These Springfield mags are half the price of staccato mags. Wondering if a better mag gives it better reliability
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I firmly believe most people are seeing issues caused by an under sprung gun.  I had a 9mm operator and read about the same issues as well as experienced a sluggish slide. Put a heavier Wilson spring in it and never had another issue. Im willing to bet that if most people put a heavier spring in the guns they would run wayyy better. I plan on getting a 4.25 along with a 13lb spring, having it dlc coated, and having a tool steel ignition kit fit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I firmly believe most people are seeing issues caused by an under sprung gun.  I had a 9mm operator and read about the same issues as well as experienced a sluggish slide. Put a heavier Wilson spring in it and never had another issue. Im willing to bet that if most people put a heavier spring in the guns they would run wayyy better. I plan on getting a 4.25 along with a 13lb spring, having it dlc coated, and having a tool steel ignition kit fit.
View Quote

After all that, how close are you to the cost of a Staccato P Optics Ready?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the smaller one,  put 150 round through it and had an issue almost every mag.  Don't know if it is the spring or disconnect,  I can actually get it to lock back just sitting on the disconnect without a mag in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a hell of a lot less for a really good gun. Staccatos are fine, there’s room in the world for both.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still a hell of a lot less for a really good gun. Staccatos are fine, there’s room in the world for both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1400 for the gun
$300-$400 for DLC
$200 for the ignition set
$200 to replace all the MIM bullshit.

You’re not much ahead and you still have a Springfield that’ll be worth $1400 when you get sick of it.

ETA: Then when you’re done replacing and coating everything, you now have a gun with no warranty. ???????
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the 5” and just shot 200 rounds of Winchester 115 gr target ammo, 50 Federal AE 147 gr range ammo, and 20 or so Federal G2 147 gr duty/carry ammo and the gun had at least 20 failure to feed malfunctions and did so with all 3 brands of ammo. So the spring is definitely too light for the current tolerances on my gun. I’m going to order a heavier spring today. The G2 wouldn’t feed at all except for one string of 3 rounds. Otherwise it became a single shot gun.

I also had 3-4 failure to extracts and with different ammo types. So it’s either those rounds were a little out of spec or the extractor is too lose. I didn’t check the extractor yesterday but will do that when I clean it. I’ll add a little tension before putting it back in the gun.

I also hate the guide rod design and will be looking for a tool-less system that will work with this gun. I asked in GD, but will any of the 5” systems with reverse plugs work in the Prodigy? I wasn’t sure if there could be a chance the reverse plug on the Prodigy was sized differently than the reverse plugs offered in the various tool-less systems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My Springfield Armory brand new 1911 Ronin is back at the factory for repairs and I’m not happy. First time out it  
Choked. I’m done with S.F.A.??
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I have the 4.25 inch version and had similar issues. Shot it first thing with no cleaning and about 200 rounds with no issues. Had the optic mounted and let some friends shoot it with no problems. At this point about 300 rounds through it. It started jamming and locking up. Had to smack the back with a mallet at one poing to get the round to chamber. Took it apart and cleaned it really well including pulling the extractor and firing pin. Reassembled it and went back to teh range. Had 3 failures in first 2 mags and realized my thumb was riding the slide. changed my grip and so far no more issues. I think the lube used from the factory played a part along wiht the extractor needing to be pulled and cleaned. No have about 400 rounds through it.

Finestkind
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried one during the reveal day contest. It had been run on the range for several hours, so even 5 rounds at a time, it should have been fairly broken in.

I had the same problems you describe - 3 failures to feed in 6 rounds. It looked like the round went straight forward till it touched the feed ramp then stopped.

See THIS thread  in GD where I'm ridiculed for thinking a new pistol should run better than this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I tried one during the reveal day contest. It had been run on the range for several hours, so even 5 rounds at a time, it should have been fairly broken in.

I had the same problems you describe - 3 failures to feed in 6 rounds. It looked like the round went straight forward till it touched the feed ramp then stopped.

See THIS thread  in GD where I'm ridiculed for thinking a new pistol should run better than this.
View Quote

Ridiculed is a bit much don’t you think? There’s basically one reply that’s a bit snarky but has good info in it and then he comes back with more info.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ridiculed is a bit much don't you think? There's basically one reply that's a bit snarky but has good info in it and then he comes back with more info.
View Quote
I'll be more polite tomorrow when my eyes and my, well, everything else hurt a little less. For now, I'm going to put it down as similar to how Porsche took a dive on quality ratings when the Cayenne came out. It brought a type of driver that just expected things to work, instead of enthusiasts that expected teething pains. Not that I'm comparing SA to Porsche - that's a non-starter.

I do stand by the basic gist of my post. Having 3 failures in 6 rounds is outside the bounds of any quality measure I'm willing to endorse. It could as easily be the fault of a stingy marketing plan that refused to supply the right ammo or enough test guns as it could be the factory tuning it wrong for the casual shooter with range ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Tuning 2011 mags was mentioned in the GD Prodigy thread, but this video seems like it would be a good idea for the Prodigy:

I had issues with hollow points more so than any ball ammo I tried in the Prodigy so I will give this a try. Though, I ordered a set of spreading pliers similar to, if not the same, as the pliers Dawson sells in their mag tuning kit.

Satco 90-099 Chain Pliers, Color

https://a.co/d/fAzwpFs
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Took mine to the range.  Well it would not work.  FTF issues.  I came home and installed a heavier spring.  I plan on going to the range in the morning.  If it doesn't fix it ,I will be sending it in.  I think the slide is dragging on the disconnector.

Regards

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#31]
You can say whatever you want about the prodigy. The fact remains that a huge brand name just brought a 2011 to market at a significantly lower cost. This brings more people into the game and, in turn, brings more companies into the game. A year from now more companies will have affordable 2011’s and a ton of companies will be offering custom work and parts for the prodigy. I cant wait.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Took mine to the range.  Well it would not work.  FTF issues.  I came home and installed a heavier spring.  I plan on going to the range in the morning.  If it doesn't fix it ,I will be sending it in.  I think the slide is dragging on the disconnector.

Regards

View Quote

I put a Wilson 12 lb recoil spring in mine already and it is definitely stronger and helps with the slight hang up on the disconnector. I haven’t shot it yet, but if I ride the slide the bullets still ram straight into the feed ramp because of the angle they are releasing out of both my mags. The other tool I have coming tomorrow from Amazon should fix that though by altering the mag lips to allow the rounds to feed a little steeper.

Plus, my Springfield Operator in .45 has a slight hang up on the disconnector and runs fine. So it’s as much about the feed angle as it was the recoil spring. If anything, I think the heavier spring worked for others because it’s shoving the rounds into the feed ramp with enough force that they bounce up and into the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tuning 2011 mags was mentioned in the GD Prodigy thread, but this video seems like it would be a good idea for the Prodigy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT7eY1f5_R4

I had issues with hollow points more so than any ball ammo I tried in the Prodigy so I will give this a try. Though, I ordered a set of spreading pliers similar to, if not the same, as the pliers Dawson sells in their mag tuning kit.

Satco 90-099 Chain Pliers, Color

View Quote

Well this is the same problem an organization had with the platform around 2008.  They were 40S&W and they would never run.  I am disapointed that Springfield didn't fix the mag problems if that is what  causing the problem.  You shouldn't have to tune a mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I put a Wilson 12 lb recoil spring in mine already and it is definitely stronger and helps with the slight hang up on the disconnector. I haven’t shot it yet, but if I ride the slide the bullets still ram straight into the feed ramp because of the angle they are releasing out of both my mags. The other tool I have coming tomorrow from Amazon should fix that though by altering the mag lips to allow the rounds to feed a little steeper.

Plus, my Springfield Operator in .45 has a slight hang up on the disconnector and runs fine. So it’s as much about the feed angle as it was the recoil spring. If anything, I think the heavier spring worked for others because it’s shoving the rounds into the feed ramp with enough force that they bounce up and into the chamber.
View Quote

What tool did you order?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What tool did you order?
View Quote

It was in my post above with the mag feed lip video I found:

Satco 90-099 Chain Pliers ($16.99)

They are similar, if not identical, to what Dawson Precision sells as part of their $99 mag tuning kit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well this is the same problem an organization had with the platform around 2008.  They were 40S&W and they would never run.  I am disapointed that Springfield didn't fix the mag problems if that is what  causing the problem.  You shouldn't have to tune a mag.
View Quote

This may be why some have reported that STI mags run fine, or at least better, than the stock Dura-Mags.

Atlas has a video on mag feed lip and body adjustments and Dawson still sells the mag tuning kit, so it has to be a common issue for both of those things to exist.

I’d rather try cheap/simple adjustments before sending mine back to Springfield only for them to potentially have it for months. All in between the 12 lb spring and pliers is less than $25 total.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Well playing with my 5” I just bought using Tipton snap caps. The mags like to vomit rounds and fail to feed. Use a staccato mag and the problem goes away. My lgs had two in stock. The one I didn’t buy felt like sand in the action and it would hold it self completely open under slide friction alone. So I bought the other that felt better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Another pertinent video from Atlas regarding the mag/feeding issue:

According to Atlas, 9mm 2011 feed lips on the narrower side should be somewhere between .350-.355” and go from narrower to wider from the casing to the bullet between .005 and .010”. For example, .350 on the casing side/rear and .360 at the bullet/front side of the mag (just measuring the ends of the first/narrow section of the feed lips).

I checked both of my mags that came with my Prodigy and they are .350 all the way through the narrow section of the feed lips. So it looks like they got part of the specs right, but didn’t gradually open them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#39]

I find it interesting that he's having his optic fogged by gas coming out of the chamber witness cut or whatever they call it.    Have run loads of ammo through optics on Glocks (that don't have these cuts) never had this issue.

A regular 1911 9mm barrel like DW does in the PM9 is already heavy enough, I think I would prefer that and a bushing as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This may be why some have reported that STI mags run fine, or at least better, than the stock Dura-Mags.

Atlas has a video on mag feed lip and body adjustments and Dawson still sells the mag tuning kit, so it has to be a common issue for both of those things to exist.

I’d rather try cheap/simple adjustments before sending mine back to Springfield only for them to potentially have it for months. All in between the 12 lb spring and pliers is less than $25 total.
View Quote

The armorers worked their magic on our DS Springfields last night.  All parts and mags were declared good. They replaced all the recoil springs with a GI 1911 springs and "smoothed them out". They test fired them (200 rounds) and called them good. Got them back this morning at 0600 hrs and hit the range.  We took turns shooting them.  We put one thousand rounds through each one they worked on.  No problems other than a sore thumb from loading mags.  I am happy.

Regards
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The armorers worked their magic on our DS Springfields last night.  All parts and mags were declared good. They replaced all the recoil springs with a GI 1911 springs and "smoothed them out". They test fired them (200 rounds) and called them good. Got them back this morning at 0600 hrs and hit the range.  We took turns shooting them.  We put one thousand rounds through each one they worked on.  No problems other than a sore thumb from loading mags.  

Regards
View Quote

Armorers at your local range?  And GI springs, meaning just the springs (as opposed to the guide rod) and if so what weight?  The GI "standard" in a 5" .45 is 16 lbs, but I've read plenty say that is too much.  Colt's spec for the 5" 9mm is 14 lbs, and some people say that is too much.  Bill Wilson says run the heaviest you can that still allows the gun to function as you should have the least issues with a stronger spring.  But I know their is a relation ship between the main spring and recoil spring, I just don't understand it enough to know what those relationships/ratios are.

I put the 12 lb spring in mine and left it with someone to shoot while I'm working, but haven't heard back yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Armorers at your local range?  And GI springs, meaning just the springs (as opposed to the guide rod) and if so what weight?  The GI "standard" in a 5" .45 is 16 lbs, but I've read plenty say that is too much.  Colt's spec for the 5" 9mm is 14 lbs, and some people say that is too much.  Bill Wilson says run the heaviest you can that still allows the gun to function as you should have the least issues with a stronger spring.  But I know their is a relation ship between the main spring and recoil spring, I just don't understand it enough to know what those relationships/ratios are.

I put the 12 lb spring in mine and left it with someone to shoot while I'm working, but haven't heard back yet.
View Quote

At work, not a local range. They are really gunsmiths.  I don't think they had anything but the standard GI springs. They used the guide rod that came with the weapon.  He gave me some synthetic grease to put on the rails.   We shot 9mm 124 GI and Federal 124 HST HP 9mm today and we had no problems. I hope you get yours to work.  

Regards

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Range report from today:

50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 124 grain with 0 malfunctions.

50 rounds of super cheap Winchester Target/Range 115 grain that had 6-7 failure to extracts.

50 more of the 124 with 1 fail to extract.

20 rounds of Speer G2 147 grain with 0 malfunctions.

I think the 115 is just junk ammo. But given the 1 FTE with the 124 I’ll tighten the extractor a hair more. It could also be the chamber is tight. I’m happy with the current state of the gun and think it’s close to being reliable.

All I’ve done so far is tighten the extractor slightly, installed a 12 lb Wilson recoil spring with the factory guide rod, and use Flitz polish like a lapping compound while hand cycling the slide a ton last night. I did have some of the cerakote come out of the back of the slide like sludge from the lapping. It wasn’t much though and smoothed out the action slightly.

The pliers arrived today so I’m still going to adjust the feed lips of the mags, but just a hair.

I’m also going to order the Dawson Tool-Less guide rod for Springfield TRP’s/Pro’s if confirmed they fit. Dawson said they weren’t sure yet.

https://dawsonprecision.com/guiderod-for-1911-pistols-5-springfield-trp-operator-or-professional-model-tool-less-by-dawson-precision/
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally got out to the range.

Mixed feelings. Stripped and lubed prior to shooting. Field stripped, wiped, lubed again at 200 rounds.

450 rounds total, 23 FTF. 0 extraction issues. Using 124gr. Federal American Eagle with the exception of one box of Blazer brass 124. Some mags no issues, others I’d have to tap into battery up to 6 times in a row. Acted the same dirty or clean, same behavior Blazer or Federal.

Will try a heavier spring. It’s very accurate and as expected, very pleasant to shoot other than the anticipation of will it go bang?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Im really surprised that they released what otherwise would have been a nuke dropped on the 2011 world like this.

Super disappointing to hear of these issues, especially when their marketing really pushed it as a duty ready firearm.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Im really surprised that they released what otherwise would have been a nuke dropped on the 2011 world like this.

Super disappointing to hear of these issues, especially when their marketing really pushed it as a duty ready firearm.
View Quote

The old Springfield and its great customer service I fear are gone.  They really messed this up. I known people who have their Hi Power copy and its been back three times and still won't run.  They have one of the clones from Turkey and it runs all day long.  Maybe they should send to Turkey for some tech support.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#47]
New springs that I ordered over the weekend came in this afternoon and I managed to get 100 rds down range with zero issues with the standard duramag’s and a 12lb spring many on here recommended. Feeling better about the gun and the purchase overall, though still need to get more down range before I would trust the gun to be anything other than a range toy.

Disappointed that Springfield released these with the apparent plan of beta testing versus a solid product out of the box, but they did finally drag me back into the 1911/2011 world again after years of swearing the platform, off or being reluctant due to the price tag.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Still playing with mine Attachment Attached File

Did some polishing

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also Swapped out the sear and disconnect

Waiting on 12# spring
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked up my 4.25” today! Only put 40 rounds through it, but it ran great with 115gr Monarch brass and 147gr Federal HST. Zero hang ups straight out of the box. I’ll pull it apart and clean/lube it tomorrow. Very nice shooting gun for the price.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone else having issues with the Springfield Prodigy, specifically the 5in model? I've had nothing but FTF, nosedives, stoppages, lock-ups, etc. Probably the only thing reliable out of this thing is it's accuracy, which is very good.

I've heard of plenty of other people having issues, in contrast to the fantastic reviews from Guntubers. Any fixes out there so far?
View Quote

2011s can be persnickety bitches.  9 has a long jump from the mag to the chamber and if the mags aren’t gtg, and the manufacturer doesn’t have their shit together, you’ll have issues. Mags, extractor tension, recoil spring, main spring, ammo length…all that has to be dialed in to work together.  I would assume that Springfield has these guns tuned to factory ammo, so I’d check one of those other factors.

This was springfield’s first foray into “2011” territory.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have some teething troubles.

Atlas gunworks has a shitload of troubleshooting vids on their YouTube page that would likely apply.

ETA: most factory guns have recoil/hammer springs that are WAY too heavy. 10-11# tops is all you need on the recoil spring.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top