Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2018 9:24:13 PM EDT
I find myself lusting for a 1911 to carry.

I am looking for a no frills, preferably parkerized, basic American made 1911. The Springfield largely fits the bill (would prefer three dot parked sights and less rollmark) but I'm curious to see what is available. Would prefer one without a series 80 firing pin block. Is there anything else I should be looking at? IIRC the Springfield can be had for $500.

I'd love to carry my grandfather's Colt, but I'd hate myself for beating up that finish..

Edit: I'd love 10mm but I do not want a Rock Island although I am aware they put out a reliable handgun
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooters Arms
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the mil spec does have 3 dot sights.
I own a mil spec and I don't think anything else is going to compare out of the box. RIAs come with the tiney little GI sights. I love RIAs and I'm OK with those sights, but if you want better sights you'd have to have them installed, probably over $100?
A personal thing, but the mil spec comes with an arched msh. I swapped it out for a flat one. Mine had ILS and that was a huge reason for changing it, but I think new ones doesn't?
ETA: I don't think you can find a new one for $500. I was just looking at them at sportsman's wharehouse and I thing they were $700~.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Series 80 is no big deal, but if you do not want that look for a used Colt series 70 not much more than your price range then Have sights of choice put on.or a series 80 that has the bigger three dots
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield Mil Spec vs...

Nothing. Nothing close in that price range compares with the SA Mil Spec. Mine is incredibly well made, and the lock up of the barrel and slide is the tightest of any 1911 I own, including the Baer.

Let me take my endorsement further. There is no 1911 you can get for less than $1,200 that I would prefer over my Mil Spec. None.

Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Auto Ordinance makes a very good mil spec. Pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Besides the few small internals I normally change out anyways I would only want a flat mainspring housing and a tritium front sight. I prefer short triggers and don't mind the gi beavertail and hammer.

The mil spec was my first handgun I paid for at 16 for competition. It had a ton of rounds through it and then was my firsr carry gun. They are great guns. Especially if you can grab one for $5-600.  Past that I think the loaded is worth it for the night sights if you plan on carrying it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I would take a Colt series 80 over the SA locking mainspring housing any day of the week.   I need a flat MSH and a grip safety that doesn’t hammer bite.   I’d take the Colt swap for a flat MSH, then drop in a Commander hammer and grip safety.  Perfect carry gun with 3-Dot sights and a comfortable grip with no hammer bite.

I set-up a Colt exactly this way 15+ years ago.  Simple shooter with all the accuracy you need plus the Colt look. A buddy offered a trade and she was gone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would take a Colt series 80 over the SA locking mainspring housing any day of the week.   I need a flat MSH and a grip safety that doesn’t hammer bite.   I’d take the Colt swap for a flat MSH, then drop in a Commander hammer and grip safety.  Perfect carry gun with 3-Dot sights and a comfortable grip with no hammer bite.
I set-up a Colt exactly this way 15+ years ago.  Simple shooter with all the accuracy you need plus the Colt look. A buddy offered a trade and she was gone.
View Quote
ILS is a thing of the past. And I was able to replace mine just by looking at the manual. That was so long ago we didn't have YouTube tutorials.
If he buys new it's a non issue and if he gets a used gun that still has ILS it's a non issue.
And you're suggesting changing all the same parts on the Colt anyways.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Milspec fits the bill. As others have mentioned the ILS is gone now, and they are made here. Has 3 dot sights.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, you want the Colt for the Colt look and the firing pin safety?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Milspecs used to be 3 dot sights.  So that may fall right into what you want.

I don't think there are any other american made 1911's that comes close to that style and price range.  But there are other guns I'd recommend. I wouldn't scoff at any of the RIA models.  Some of them come with a bit more features for similar pricing I think.

But I do like that you want to keep it in the states.  Of course most people are poo pooing Springy right now.

My milspec was a good gun.  Not super accurate in my hands, but what you might expect.  My Kimber was a lot more accurate for me.   I might recommend spending a little more and looking at the range officer or loaded.  I'm not really sure I'd recommend a 1911 without some kind of beavertail for a  carry gun.  Unless you're gonna pin the grip safety or not use a high thumbs grip.    That's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I like that Auto Ordnance as well. It doesn't need to mimic USGI in appearance I just like simplistic styling and rollmarks.

I guess I'm SOL on 10mm. I'm aware that RIA 10mm is cheap but...
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Auto Ordinance makes a very good mil spec. Pretty cheap too.
View Quote
That’s Series 80.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd just buy a Dan Wesson Vigil because I love myself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine rides in a Milt Sparks VM2.  I wanted this gun for the same reasons you do plus it's a great base gun for some custom work.  It fits the bill perfectly.

Untitled by Colt_Chad, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#16]
The Mil spec seems to fit the bill perfectly IMO. they are an excellent basic 1911 that nothing in its price range really is as well made or has as good of warranty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess I'm SOL on 10mm. I'm aware that RIA 10mm is cheap but...
View Quote
Love my RIA Commander in 10mm. Perfectly balanced 10mm pistol, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, you want the Colt for the Colt look and the firing pin safety?
View Quote
To be fair, I want the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Yesterday I took the Mil Spec to the range to practice at 10-15 yards. It was insanely easy to print small groups consistently. This is best 1911 money I have ever spent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#21]
The Remington R1 had some teething trouble early on from what I understand, but I know of two people at my agency who carry the basic R1 as an off duty and like it. I own a Mil-Spec and like it a lot, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with one, but if you really wanted Series 80 that's what I'd grab. It also fell into the "billboard" trap, and personally I prefer the Springfield rollmarks to the Remington, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Love mine also,out shoots my loaded.

Who makes that gold bead front sight?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Love mine also,out shoots my loaded.

Who makes that gold bead front sight?
View Quote
I’m not sure of the brand. The Springfield Custom Shop installed it during one of its many trips back there for work. Back when they did that type of stuff anyway.  The only original parts left on the gun are the frame, slide, barrel, grip safety and ejector. Had plans for the custom shop to replace the barrel when they stopped taking new work.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I may ask this question in a post if no one responds to this here.

Are the current Springfield Mil-Specs, and I mean like in the last year Mil-Specs as good as they were like just 5 years ago.  I heard that something had changed in the last recent time but can’t remember what it was.

I have a local LGS that has one for a decent price but I am not sure I want to jump on it.

Patrick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top