Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2023 6:18:35 PM EDT
I’m curious what Springfield’s response, if any, has been to the scorching reviews of the DS Prodigy. I have had a 4.25” Prodigy on layaway for awhile and will pick it up next weekend. Not sure I would have committed to the purchase had I seen the countless reviews trashing the pistols reliability. Has Springfield responded in any way with a recall, promise of a fix etc etc? I’m not sure how many units have been sold and how many have reliability issues, but it seems there is is problem. The first thing I plan to do is run 200 rounds or so through it when I get it. If I have any malfunctions my first step will be to send it to Springfield for repair/tuning. I hope mine runs at 100% and if it doesn’t I sure hope Springfield makes it right.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically if it doesn’t run right send it back and they’ll fix it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Single stacks work
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:
Basically if it doesn’t run right send it back and they’ll fix it.

View Quote

This.

I bought a 5 in. It sucked. Sent it back. Now it's one of my favorite pistols. Springfield is standing behind it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasn’t into giving SA a second chance on my 4.25”.

Most of my issues were ammo related, some of my reloads and factory WWB.  FU Winchester.    I finally figured out 15% of the WWB was out of spec, it wouldn’t plunk.  Thus, I was getting about 15% of fail to go fully into battery.

The ceracoat was laid on thick too. Too thick on the rails, it’s worn in now.

Definitely liked a lighter oil than my 30w Mobil 1.  CLP works.

Gutted my internals, mostly.  I will get a bar stock slide stop and safety too.

Attachment Attached File

Mine shot well, just high AF.  Springer sent me a new, lower rear to fix that.
20 yards.
Attachment Attached File

Favorite shooter now, runs like a scalded ass ape.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a 9mm operator, never could get it to work, chamber reamed at least once, other adjustments, ended up selling it.   My prodigy has been fine, no real issues with either the gun or mag, 1 issue in 1000 rds with WWB ammo that I couldn't get the same round to drop in an M&P or a glock either, not holding that againist it.    Mine was of the 2-3 batch to get out, I didn't have one of the day 0 releases.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#6]
SA will fix any major issues if it doesn’t run. If it still doesn’t run when you get it back a heavier recoil spring will more than likely fix it.

Mine is my favorite handgun I’ve ever shot, much less owned, but mine was always intended to be a project gun for me to build up to my ideal 2011.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:
SA will fix any major issues if it doesn’t run. If it still doesn’t run when you get it back a heavier recoil spring will more than likely fix it.

Mine is my favorite handgun I’ve ever shot, much less owned, but mine was always intended to be a project gun for me to build up to my ideal 2011.

https://i.imgur.com/y3byby7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/65dvxlg.jpg
View Quote

I felt the same way.   I even carry it sometimes in an OWB
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Castrolr1:

I felt the same way.   I even carry it sometimes in an OWB
View Quote

I regularly carry my Prodigy AIWB in a Tier 1 Concealed holster with a yoga block cut to make a wedge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top