Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2021 10:06:38 PM EDT
Looking at picking up another 1911.  My FFL is waiting on a Ronin and I get first dibs on it if I want it.  No idea on an ETA. He ordered it months ago.

Been looking at the Loadeds lately.  The parkerized  Loaded looks really nice and I can find it around $829.  Other choice would be hunting for an MC Operator.

Looking for mostly a range toy with some CCW use from time to time.

How’s everyone’s experience with the Loaded?  Is the Ronin worth waiting on?
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to get jumped for this...but in my opinion...Springfield 1911s offer the best value today...

I had a WC and I just did not see that much refinement over a Springfield TRP...especially at the price difference.

They both had about the same frame to slide fit...WC did offer a better trigger feel...but it wasn't mind blowing...

So go for a Springfield! Ronin is a solid platform to start. I am considering a Emissary myself...
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am going to get jumped for this...but in my opinion...Springfield 1911s offer the best value today...

I had a WC and I just did not see that much refinement over a Springfield TRP...especially at the price difference.

They both had about the same frame to slide fit...WC did offer a better trigger feel...but it wasn't mind blowing...

So go for a Springfield! Ronin is a solid platform to start. I am considering a Emissary myself...
View Quote

You are right... Springfield 1911's are excellent! Even their lowest end 1911, the Mil-spec Defender series, is actually a very nice gun (especially considering that they could be bought for around $500 in late 2019 through early 2020).

But to answer the OP's question, I think it comes down to budget and what features you want. The only real differences that I can see between the parkerized Loaded and Ronin are aesthetics, the guide rod, and the sights. If you want the Tritium Night Sights, a full length guide rod, and don't care about a Bi-tone finish, go for the Loaded. The Ronin is usually a little cheaper, but given that the the cheapest .45 Ronin I could find is more than the cheapest Loaded, the Loaded may be a smoking deal unless the dealer has a good price on the Ronin. If you don't want the night sights or full-length guide rod and you like the Bi-tone finish go for the Ronin.

If I sold my 1911 and bought a new one I would go for the Ronin in 9mm. I personally don't see the real advantage of the full length guide rod on a 1911 (makes field-stripping a little more difficult) and while front-rear night sights are certainly better, I can certainly make do with out if I have to. (If you have to use it at night, you should have a flashlight and be able to "silhouette" the sights.)
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the others. Springfield makes some pretty decent 1911's. Wanted to try the 9mm 1911 thing and got a Ronin in 9mm earlier this year. Love it so far.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Got thing about the Ronin is you can build up from it if you ever wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO the parked Loaded is a very compelling option-I've been going back and forth between one of those and a Colt Competition for a couple of months now. I can get the Springfield for less, but I'm not wild about the ambi safety and would replace the full length guide rod with a GI type. I'm actually unsure why manufacturers put full length guide rods on 1911s.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Springfield just released a new line called the Garrison as well. Seems like a step up from the Mil-Spec with a beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and Novak sights. Comes in blued or stainless.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-garrison-handguns/1911-garrison-45-acp-handgun/
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Springfield just released a new line called the Garrison as well. Seems like a step up from the Mil-Spec with a beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and Novak sights. Comes in blued or stainless.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-garrison-handguns/1911-garrison-45-acp-handgun/
View Quote

It's like Springfield themselves responded to my post above!
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the look of the Garrison as well although I prefer the Milspec grip safety and spur hammer (easier to lower on an empty chamber after a day at the range). I have never had hammer bite on a 1911, but I do have smaller hands.

I did, however, buy a new extended thumb safety and I wish it had Novak cuts to make changing the sights easier.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, nice
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Ended up with a parked Loaded.  Swapped the guide rod to a GI style and changing the grips to some VZ G10 ones.

Need to go shoot it but very happy so far!
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If I needed a basic 1911 I would be getting a Garrison. Looks like it has enough of the modern features without being crazy. I'm trying to work a deal locally for an Operator with a rail, but that's 10mm and seems awesome.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got my Garrison.  Very nice set up .
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I handled a garrison yesterday.  I like the sights. I have a mil spec. I’m thinking of grabbing one next week if the local farm store still has it. Grab a gun has them in stock but the price went from $730 up to $750 in a week.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Can’t go wrong with either
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I would love for Springfield to come out with a stainless 1911 compact again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Best of the best if you can find one: TRP Professional FBI model (CRG serial number).

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
The Loaded models are excellent!  The Ronins are a solid pick too.  I wish I never sold my loaded.   I currently EDC a Ronin EMP I am in love with.

The Garrisons are getting great reviews and I have yet to see a bad remark.

I am sought of biased as all of my 1911’s are Springers. My Springers
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a Loaded 1911 years ago that was stupid reliable and accurate - I was really impressed with SA's quality.

I'm thinking about getting back into 1911s again (sold the Loaded a while back) and going Springfield again.

For the price, they're really solid 1911s.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a Loaded 1911 years ago that was stupid reliable and accurate - I was really impressed with SA's quality.

I'm thinking about getting back into 1911s again (sold the Loaded a while back) and going Springfield again.

For the price, they're really solid 1911s.
View Quote

I ended up with a parked Loaded. Very pleased so far, no malfunctions in ~600 rounds so far, and I have yet to find a JHP it won't feed.

Need to try it out with some hard cast.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Kygunco TRP blems.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Do they make a double stack 9mm
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do they make a double stack 9mm
View Quote

No. At least not yet, maybe.
There was a thread on here where there seemed to be a 2011 style Springfield.
Who knows if and when they will release one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I too feel Springfield 1911's are very good buys for the price. I have a RO, and though the trigger was very disappointing initially (I clearly got a dud after comparing it to many other identical models), a Cylinder and Slide trigger took care of that issue with ease. Otherwise its well built, more accurate than I am, and runs great. I've kinda got a hard on for the new Emissary line and may have to get one in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I carried a 5" Loaded for many years.  I also shot it in 3 gun for many years.  I only stopped carrying it because the muzzle and butt were tearing holes in my pants and shirts.  

It's very reliable and accurate, I especially appreciate the factory night sights.  I've had that gun for 15 years or so and I think it's malfunctioned twice.  Could be once but I don't remember perfectly.

Remember that 1911 springs are a wear item, plan to replace them with some regularity.  Good magazines are more crucial to good function than anything else.  I like Chip McCormick mags, 8, 9, 10 rounders.  Good call getting rid of the two piece full length guide rod, it makes absolutely no difference except making disassembly a pain.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I just posted the below about my MC Loaded Operator in @MustyWaffles thread...

It's a great pistol, and a significant improvement over the beater MEU-SOC Springfields that my Force Recon platoon carried back in the early GWOT days. I left in 2006, so was never issued the Colt "Golden Gun" that replaced those, but I do know that the MC Operator lost out to the Colt in the trials. I'm not sure why. Could have been the desert paint job, for all I know. Needless to say, my "Civ-Div" MC Operator has several thousand rounds through it and has been practically flawless. Only issue I ever had was trying out some Fireclean lube which completely gummed up the slide and firing pin and led to malfunctions fully setting into battery and light primer strikes. I now avoid that shit like the plague and have since only used Break-Free CLP and the occasional dab of "Desert Jizz" (TW25B), without issue. It's accurate, but not match grade accurate, and if maintained properly, will more than get the job done. Not much more to ask for in a combat pistol.

Some pics of how mine has been sitting bedside for the past 7 or 8 years...

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Looking at picking up another 1911.  My FFL is waiting on a Ronin and I get first dibs on it if I want it.  No idea on an ETA. He ordered it months ago.

Been looking at the Loadeds lately.  The parkerized  Loaded looks really nice and I can find it around $829.  Other choice would be hunting for an MC Operator.

Looking for mostly a range toy with some CCW use from time to time.

How’s everyone’s experience with the Loaded?  Is the Ronin worth waiting on?
View Quote

Currently shooting a modified emissary in action pistol. Dawson precision tool-less guide rod and a mag well were the changes I made. It has run about 1000 rounds without a single malfunction, 250 rounds a session. Love it.

Had a loaded in 45 and a range officer in 9mm. The loaded was just fine. The r.o. had issues right out of the box feeding any ammo. Spotty on round nose and choked on anything hollowpoint. Sent it back for work and it came back ok, but always felt wrong to me. So, I got one lemon they fixed in 5 weeks that left a bad taste, but the emissary is a neat platform for a 1911. Runs like a dream.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got two Mil-Specs and they are 100% in function with all magazines and ammo I've tried in them.  I didn't like the obviously MIM firing pin retaining plate because of an identical casting flaw in both that resembles a crack, so I had both replaced.  

Other than that they certainly run 1000% better than my jam-o-matic Tisas.  My Ruger SR1911 is mostly reliable but still hiccups on some magazines.

I think the Springfield Mil-Spec is an underrated gem.  And I've never gotten hammer bite either. I just wish they would have parkerized the barrel bushing for aesthetics, but that's my only gripe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice choice OP!

Don’t go down the MEUSOC clone rabbit hole lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top