Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
Anyone have any testing data on the Speer G2 147gr the government is issuing with the black projectile...?

I can find plenty on G2 but I’m assuming this is the upgraded model after they had issues

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Black talon 2.0
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What issues?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the 2nd generation of the G2 (on the right) ...

Can you pull a bullet and take some close-up pictures from different angles?

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) awarded the 9mm Duty Ammunition (147 Grain) Indefinite Delivery/ Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract vehicle to provide DHS Components access to high performing, highly reliable duty ammunition with stringent performance requirements. The 9mm Duty Ammunition (147 Grain) was submitted and independently tested at National Institute of Justice certified laboratories, with impressive results.Make/model and part number of the round:Vista Outdoors (Speer)9mm 147gr G2SRPN# Z9SR147CBP Under this IDIQ, DHS Components may place orders on a Firm-Fixed Price (FFP) basis. The Contracting Officer’s Representative at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the only approving authority.Key Contract Vehicle Features:Includes significant cost savings from commercial pricing;A five-year period of performance allows for the availability of a steady supply and consistent pricing over entire contract;Ammunition meets stringent performance requirements and is high performing, highly reliable;Independently tested at National Institute of Justice certified laboratories;Ammunition performs optimally with the Glock line of duty handguns;Supports all DHS Components and eliminates the need for each Component to develop their own contract vehicle reducing redundant contracting activities; andDelivers pre-established terms & conditions and well-defined ordering processes, which enable contracting officers to efficiently fill requirements.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Anti oxidation coating?
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anti oxidation coating?
View Quote

It's probably the same "lubaloy" coating they put on the original Black Talons. While I like the look of the black bullet and nickel casing, I dont think it adds any actual benefits.

Back in the old days in the 90's my duty 40SW ammo had the same black coated bullets except with brass casings.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's probably the same "lubaloy" coating they put on the original Black Talons.
View Quote

"Lubaloy" is an alloy of copper, zinc and tin.  You are probably thinking of Lubalox.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Lubaloy" is an alloy of copper, zinc and tin.  You are probably thinking of Lubalox.

View Quote

Yes. Thank you. I was trying to remember what was written on a box of LAPD 127+P+ Win ammo I bought many years ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's probably the same "lubaloy" coating they put on the original Black Talons. While I like the look of the black bullet and nickel casing, I dont think it adds any actual benefits.

Back in the old days in the 90's my duty 40SW ammo had the same black coated bullets except with brass casings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anti oxidation coating?

This is just speculation on my part, but I always thought that the Lubalox coating was to increase weight retention and increase penetration by preventing the bullet from mushrooming too quickly. I don't know for sure why the Lubalox coating was used.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
There was a big batch of pulls from American Reloading of the black ones.

A lot of the polymer fillers fell out.

There's a thread in the reloading section I started with loading them in .38s.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t have a bullet puller but here’s a better picture of the projectile.

It’s a non +P 147gr load that was mild to shoot through a a G17

I’ve seen that velocity was advertised in the mid 900 FPS range

Scored bullet is reminiscent of the HST (another Vista bullet)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Black Talon was Winchester offering, not CCI/Speer.
As shown i the picture this a custom loading for the a govt entity.
They probably specified a bullet coloring / coating.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

But why? Easy ID from training ammo? Avoid mixing new G2 (good ammo) with older G2 (shitty ammo)?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this for sale somewhere as over-runs? I'd run it for you if there's enough to go around? :D
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this for sale somewhere as over-runs? I'd run it for you if there's enough to go around? :D
View Quote

I'll send you some bullets if you want
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But why? Easy ID from training ammo? Avoid mixing new G2 (good ammo) with older G2 (shitty ammo)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going from memory…there are agencies that like to color code certain ammo.  There was purple tinted 5.56 training ammo for a while…purple meant training use only.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My bonus son works at Vista outdoor centerfire. He was telling me about the 147 Black coated bullet. I never even heard of it and then found this thread.  Bonus son gets 124 +p Gold Dots for $11.13 for 50 rounds. HSI overrun. ETA just got a text from the Vista chief ballistic. "USCBP wanted a all black bullet so we coated them they have no ballistic difference all cosmetic"
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s just for ID. Remember, these contracts are done way higher up than rank/file. Someone up there wanted to distinguish duty ammo from non-duty ammo.

We got Winchester Ranger for the short term while waiting on the Speer. Those use nickel case with the copper JHP that looks like it has water damage. This Speer is nickel case with blackened G2. Quick look, can see who has the old stuff without any question.

I don’t know if BP does the training ammo anymore, but OFO just trains with the Winchester (now Speer). It might be a pro for not getting FMJ in guns that are at duty carry… but that’s about it for us.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#20]
When CBP first got the Glocks they issued regular copper 147 grain Ranger bonded JHP with nickel cases in regular commercial boxes.  Apparently there were some bad lots with more than a couple misfires so they changed to the white box stuff and have been using up the Rangers as training ammo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the CBP ammo meet the same specs as the FBI ammo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top