Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2022 6:33:49 AM EDT
Off the top of my head...

1. a barrel replacement, likely a custom as I doubt I can buy a model16 barrel from S&W 16
2. a cylinder, same issue, likely need a custom cylinder or a .22 model 17 rechambered
3. at least a refinish

Am I out of my mind or can I have this done by a recognized and reliable shop and not spend more than a collector model 16?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Be several hundred at least. Assuming you can find a shop to tackle it.  Not many decent revolver smiths left.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to everygunpart.com , you may find the parts you need to start the project there. They are proud of their parts, but I have bought un-obtainium there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to everygunpart.com , you may find the parts you need to start the project there. They are proud of their parts, but I have bought un-obtainium there.
View Quote

I was going to suggest the same place. Check them often. They do have some pretty good sales.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably going to have to do a bored-out .22 barrel. Not sure about cylinder length, but most rimfire cylinders I have seen fill the frame window well. I know there have been some done by members on the S&W Forums, I would search there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]
By the time you finish the project I am thinking about $800
Rechambered 22 cylinder a possibility, also what about sleeping the chambers/ having a liner installed in existing barrel?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't see that it makes sense.

The gun you have now has to have some value to someone.
Good smith work costs a fair amount.
There has to be some refinish work on top of finding parts and getting it all put together. In short , this project could tie up some cash .

What you wind up with is a mutt of a crossbreed and while it might make a nice shooter for you it will be such a odd duck it likely will have shit for resale value.

Does S&W make anything close to what you desire ?

I would advise buying some complete gun new or used .

Then again , it is your money but this isn't going to be cheap
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the reality check.  

I am probably off my rocker considering this.  My friend has an old police duty model 15 he got cheap.  He described it as rough but as smooth an action as he has seen.   He was a firearms range instructor back when his department was still revolvers.  In fact he picked the gun up from a retiree who didn’t want it when they switched.   Worked on? Likely plus use.

S&W recently cut their J frame H&R ,3” iirc, which would have been an inch shorter than my choice.   They still have some .327 snub nose guns.

I have a S&W 4” 31-1 .32 S&W Long J frame, rather late gun from 1969/70.  It isn’t out of jail yet.  

I like S&W revolvers best but thought about a Ruger 101 in .327 if I saw one.  Lock work is never as good though.   That is if I could find one.

I was thinking a totally custom barrel might be the most likely route.  Do they still make them for guys who aren’t Jerry Miculek?

I should probably just keep this in the dream category.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ouch on the lol level.  

I saw one kit for a stainless 31-1 snub nose......$999.99 and it is the wrong material and barrel length.    Oh and it is for the wrong frame size too.

Yea, not looking good.  A couple years ago I could have purchased a gunporker model 16 but it was not my preferred barrel length for around a grand.  

Cheapest model 16 I have seen in the last year was 1400 or 1600 bucks.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It is no K-frame Smith, but I just bought one of the new Taurus .327 revolvers for $320 delivered.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is no K-frame Smith, but I just bought one of the new Taurus .327 revolvers for $320 delivered.

Rob
View Quote

I might chance a 4” Ruger101 if I saw one in a shop.  Then do what I can for the trigger action.

I shot my 686 a lot yesterday and finally figured out that my barrel isn’t regulated right, it is under indexed leaving my rear sight full right and about 5” off target at 25 yards with no sight adjustment left.  I am at least the third owner of this no lock 686.  

I am tempted to buy the appropriate action wrenches to adjust it.  I have a lathe and could face the shoulder if needed.  Looking at the sight to barrel  rib matting you can see the it is off a touch.  Further looking at the sight, it is a full blade thickness at the tip away from center.....and for the last two years I have owned I thought the rear sight was sprung up with a twist and that the front sight was fine.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I might chance a 4” Ruger101 if I saw one in a shop.  Then do what I can for the trigger action.

I shot my 686 a lot yesterday and finally figured out that my barrel isn’t regulated right, it is under indexed leaving my rear sight full right and about 5” off target at 25 yards with no sight adjustment left.  I am at least the third owner of this no lock 686.  

I am tempted to buy the appropriate action wrenches to adjust it.  I have a lathe and could face the shoulder if needed.  Looking at the sight to barrel  rib matting you can see the it is off a touch.  Further looking at the sight, it is a full blade thickness at the tip away from center.....and for the last two years I have owned I thought the rear sight was sprung up with a twist and that the front sight was fine.  
View Quote

Send to Smith, tell them to fix something that should have never left the factory that way?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
A couple thousand . . .

Sell the 15.
Buy a K32.

You'll be better off in the end because you'll own a K32 and it will always be worth what a k32 is worth.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Send to Smith, tell them to fix something that should have never left the factory that way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I might chance a 4” Ruger101 if I saw one in a shop.  Then do what I can for the trigger action.

ABS serial number block.   Pre89 and I am guessing 1982 ish.  I thought S&W wasn’t covering anything pre89?

I don’t care if I pay for it, I’d like to be able to not hold off the target at 50 yards.  Inside 15 yards I can aim center mass and have it strike close to the centerline, all to the left of the center line though.  Empty right half of target.  25 yards is just annoying, fifty?  pffft.

I am going to give them a call .  I facebooked a friend who owns a chain of gun shops.  He tells me there is no one in the area still alive that he would trust to not twist the frame.

Brownells, our honorable site overlords, sell wrenches but they’re out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A couple thousand . . .

Sell the 15.
Buy a K32.

You'll be better off in the end because you'll own a K32 and it will always be worth what a k32 is worth.
View Quote

I don’t own the 15 but was shooting it yesterday.  It’s not as rough a shape as my buddy described it.  I wouldn’t touch it after shooting it.  Someone did a nice action job on it back in the day.  He isn’t yet convinced to sell it to me.  He paid $50 for it a few years ago.  He also made me cry telling me of the 4” 66 (my dream gun) that an officer turned in when she retired and wanted $0 for it.  He handed it over to his buddy at the department also for $0.  
I cannot complain, I had a $300 Very Good Colt Python 4” deal of the century when they were worth $800 easy.  I made the guy take $400 as it was all I had.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A barrel is the easy part.  Finding a blank with appropriate rifling might be the most annoying step.

I've been thinking about making a cylinder.  I think some sort of line boring fixture to establish hole centerlines should work, by either setting up on the barrel bore or on the old cylinder.  Cutting the locking notches makes me lean toward using the old cylinder.  I wouldn't cut flutes, but that is the simplest detail in the cylinder, so going all in as the last step is minor.

View Quote

I dig the new gif!  

I keep thinking piper pacer but the vertical tail fin isn’t rounded enough.  Citabria?

That thought project of mine is off the table....the model 15 donor is too nice to mess up.  Not as described.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The K-32 is in .32 Long and wasn't built for .32 H&R pressures. And heaven help you if you ream out a real K-32 and a collector finds out!

Just buy a 16-4 in the barrel length you want. They aren't cheap but are way cheaper than the project you're trying to undertake. If you want a 8-3/8" there's one for sale in a shop near me. The shorter barrels are certainly more desirable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fairchild

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A barrel is the easy part.  Finding a blank with appropriate rifling might be the most annoying step.

I've been thinking about making a cylinder.  I think some sort of line boring fixture to establish hole centerlines should work, by either setting up on the barrel bore or on the old cylinder.  Cutting the locking notches makes me lean toward using the old cylinder.  I wouldn't cut flutes, but that is the simplest detail in the cylinder, so going all in as the last step is minor.

I dig the new gif!  

I keep thinking piper pacer but the vertical tail fin isn't rounded enough.  Citabria?

That thought project of mine is off the table....the model 15 donor is too nice to mess up.  Not as described.
Fairchild

Thank you, I was looking around for my old observer’s guide to aircraft ID but it’s in a box,....somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The K-32 is in .32 Long and wasn't built for .32 H&R pressures. And heaven help you if you ream out a real K-32 and a collector finds out!

Just buy a 16-4 in the barrel length you want. They aren't cheap but are way cheaper than the project you're trying to undertake. If you want a 8-3/8" there's one for sale in a shop near me. The shorter barrels are certainly more desirable.
View Quote

Thanks, y’all helped talk me out of it, I wasn’t closer than forming a tentative plan or feasibility study I guess.    That slick broken in model 15 would be nice if my buddy wants to part with it.   I could have bought an old good shape K38 from an older gent,....he brought it out thinking it was a model 15 or 10.  Kept calling it a cop .38.  Well they did carry them on Adam12 in the beginning.

Tomorrow I can go pick up my new to me model 31-1 1969/70 vintage.  I will enjoy that for awhile before having any more wild thoughts,
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I think there's a gunsmith that rechambers 22lr cylinders and barrels on k-frames to do that.

Looked it up, his name was Andy Horvath.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I have heard of him.  

I picked my my J frame 31-1 yesterday and made some ammo this morning.  It needs better grips than the OEM service grips.  I almost had a nice set of S&W combat grips from an old friend,.....round but grips though.

It will look ugly but I shoot Pachmayr grippers much better than service, magnas, or targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top