Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2020 8:14:38 AM EDT
But, they're not making them any more!

When the alloy framed FN guns first started showing up in numbers around '12 or '13, I bought one off Gunbroker.  Sent it to a local gunsmith who turned it into a fantastic carry piece, complete with Heinie sights, C&S fire controls, and a beautiful two-tone cerakote finish.

Attachment Attached File

But, I got to feeling guilty about taking what is a bit of a scarce gun and modifying it, so I kept watching GB for another LW to keep in stock condition.  A few months pass, and another nice example shows up at my FFL.  The original finish on this one was a little nicer than the finish on the first.  But, the magazine number still didn't match the gun.

Attachment Attached File

Out of the blue yesterday, I searched GB and what do I find?  An equally nice LW Hi Power, with matching magazine, and a reasonable Buy It Now price of $549.  Give it a few days to get here and I'll post up some pictures.  It of course has the typical wear on left and right of the front of the frame as all the other LW Hi Powers I've seen.  I would love to know what kind of holster these were carried in to exhibit such wear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
At that price I would have risked a long discusion about spending with my wife. I've got one Alloy frame. I want to have it done up like yours. Who did the work?

I also have a .40 S&W browning I bought new. I'm going to leave it alone. Has a little holster wear, and a C&S trigger but it's a damn nice gun. I still carry it once in a while. Love carrying the 9MM LW.

If I can swing it, i'm getting another one,or three. They're just a great pistol.

ETA: it's Easy to justify another Hi Power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I had Accurate Armory in Lexington, KY do the work on mine.  The sight installation is a work of art.  I think I actually did the HTS replacement and fit the safety.  I've replaced the safety on a couple HPs and they both required actual fitting to function correctly and safely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The new Hi Power showed up at my FFL yesterday, picked it up this morning and gave it a quick cleaning at lunch time.  The finish isn't in as good of shape as my last LW Hi Power, but with the matching magazine I'm happy to have it.  Speaking of my other alloy Hi Powers, I now have a GV A, GV B, and GV C.  Interestingly the new one, the C, the inventory number doesn't match the last 3 digits of the serial number.  It is also my earliest, an '80.  The others are '81 and '82.

The trigger, despite the magazine safety being intact, is actually very good for a Hi Power.  Internal wear is very minimal.  As typical of police sidearms, it hasn't been shot much.  I'll take it out and put some rounds through it next range trip.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice score!  I have never owned an alloy-framed Hi Power, but have always been interested in them. Congrats on yours.  I’m sure you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That is freaking beautiful.  Seeins how I've been carrying my HiPower I'm pretty jealous of someone who has an alloy framed one.  

All of them are really nice.  But you got a good one there for a super good price, I think.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is freaking beautiful.  Seeins how I've been carrying my HiPower I'm pretty jealous of someone who has an alloy framed one.  

All of them are really nice.  But you got a good one there for a super good price, I think.
View Quote
It's funny- I couldn't remember what I'd paid for the two older LW guns, but I did a google search for lightweight hi powers, and lo and behold a result popped up from AR15.com when I bought those two- and it looks like I paid about $550 for each of them too.

I remember around 2017 though, they weren't available from importers again, and typical LW guns such as these were selling for around $750.  Just a case of supply and demand.  There was another one from the same seller on GB this morning with the same BIN price of $549.

And then, I see the Stainless Tisas BR9, also for $549......
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t carry that LW I had worked over near as much as I should, but it is riding shotgun today. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My first alloy framed HP a C&S with polished frame, my second one looks pretty much like yours.

(mag is from the .22 conversion hidden in the second layer of the box )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top