Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2018 5:08:30 PM EDT
I was cruising Gunbroker and I came across a new old stock Dan Wesson Valor. It was a 2014 which is the time period I like for these guns. The grips had been changed out, but the replacements (Hogues) were very nice. I emailed the seller to confirm that the gun was in fact new. He confirmed that it was. I went ahead and bought it. When I picked it up from my dealer I took it home and detail stripped it to give it a good cleaning and look things over. That's when I discovered that the gun was indeed unfired, but every internal component had been highly polished. I'm talking the trigger bow, the disconnector (the entire thing), the sear, the sides and face of the hammer, the hammer strut (the entire thing), the MSH cap and retainer pin, the mag catch lock (the part that goes inside the mag catch). Even the frame rails, disconnector rail, and barrel hood were done.

I emailed the seller and this is what his reply was...

I can assure the gun is as I explained however we do highly polish the parts on our Dan Wesson's and other high end guns, very  much like going through the manufacturers custom shop, we do that at not cost to for operational extactness and flawless operating, usually this would add several hundred dollars to the cost.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was cruising Gunbroker and I came across a new old stock Dan Wesson Valor. It was a 2014 which is the time period I like for these guns. The grips had been changed out, but the replacements (Hogues) were very nice. I emailed the seller to confirm that the gun was in fact new. He confirmed that it was. I went ahead and bought it. When I picked it up from my dealer I took it home and detail stripped it to give it a good cleaning and look things over. That's when I discovered that the gun was indeed unfired, but every internal component had been highly polished. I'm talking the trigger bow, the disconnector (the entire thing), the sear, the sides and face of the hammer, the hammer strut (the entire thing), the MSH cap and retainer pin, the mag catch lock (the part that goes inside the mag catch). Even the frame rails, disconnector rail, and barrel hood were done.

I can assure the gun is as I explained however we do highly polish the parts on our Dan Wesson's and other high end guns, very  much like going through the manufacturers custom shop, we do that at not cost to for operational extactness and flawless operating, usually this would add several hundred dollars to the cost.
View Quote
View Quote

That's something I would definitely want to know about, and to me that pistol is used.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF???

How they can call that “new” is beyond me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Bc Dan Wesson didn't do a good enough job???

Mine was perfect and I bought it directly from Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I especially like how they compared it to the gun going through the manufacturer's custom shop. I bought a 1911 through Dan Wesson's custom shop and they don't polish the internals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope he’s sending you a return label and refunding your money for the fucked up gun he sold you. That’s some hack job bullshit there. No telling what he fucked up and tried to cover up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That's just what I want; to spend a couple grand or more on a pistol that's been dicked around with by some ass-monkey dealer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I’d be filing a complaint on Gunbroker AND MAKING SURE ASSHAT knew he was refunding my money.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So for every 1911 with a $2K and Higher MSRP that comes in the door, they take apart the gun and polish all the parts? I would think ZERO customers would want them to do that. No thanks Bubba.

Bradd_D,
Do you think that is the truth, or just an excuse related to this gun in particular?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be a good reason to raise some hell and get every penny back.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
That’s f’d up for sure. How’s the trigger? How was the price?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bradd_D,
Do you think that is the truth, or just an excuse related to this gun in particular?
View Quote
I'm not sure. Because the grips had been changed out I asked before purchasing whether there had been any other mods. He said the grips were changed and the gun had been disassembled and cleaned by their gunsmith and that was it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
So, the seller said that they would give me a refund minus a 15% restock fee, minus original and return shipping, and minus the credit card fee.

Again...

Time to file a credit card dispute I guess.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's f'd up for sure. How's the trigger? How was the price?
View Quote
The trigger is the same as any other Dan Wesson I've owned. It was new and about $100 less than retail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Well this is what you get when most people’s experience with firearms is centered around Glock pistols and they learn everything from YouTube instead of actual experience.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
WOWOW
you got played big time
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, the seller said that they would give me a refund minus a 15% restock fee, minus original and return shipping, and minus the credit card fee.

Again...

Time to file a credit card dispute I guess.
View Quote
Yep.  Charge that back if you can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
And I would leave them a review on GB that would peel the paint off of their walls
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Id notify DW as well, hate to see a person have the warranty revoked over this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Id notify DW as well, hate to see a person have the warranty revoked over this.
View Quote
I'm already talking to Keith at DW. Obviously, they won't warranty any problems that result from the mods.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not sure. Because the grips had been changed out I asked before purchasing whether there had been any other mods. He said the grips were changed and the gun had been disassembled and cleaned by their gunsmith and that was it.
View Quote
I have never heard of such a thing. Why would they feel the need to disassemble and clean a brand new High dollar 1911 before selling it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have never heard of such a thing. Why would they feel the need to disassemble and clean a brand new High dollar 1911 before selling it?
View Quote
I only have one expensive 1911.

It would have been unacceptable for me to recieve it in any condition other than how it left the factory.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
He said it was just cleaned, but in actuality all the internals were polished to a high gloss.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you tell the seller you do not agree with his return offer and that you will be contacting the credit card company? What was his response? What did your cc company say? This may get pretty ugly and I hope you keep us all posted as well as let us know exactly who you ordered from so we don't make the same mistake.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you tell the seller you do not agree with his return offer and that you will be contacting the credit card company? What was his response? What did your cc company say? This may get pretty ugly and I hope you keep us all posted as well as let us know exactly who you ordered from so we don't make the same mistake.
View Quote
I haven't proceeded any further yet as I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Post some pics please!
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Forget that... i cant believe you haven't filed a dispute yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I understand you want to make sure you have all the correct info before you proceed.  However,  I wouldn't wait too long.  What's your next step?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I understand you want to make sure you have all the correct info before you proceed.  However,  I wouldn't wait too long.  What's your next step?
View Quote
The seller is in Europe until next week so I have a little time.

One thing I'm trying to get clarification on is whether it's best to return the gun and then request a chargeback or file the request and hang on to the gun until I get an approval from the CC company.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Sucks you didn't field strip it and refuse transfer at your FFL. Hope this works out for you. Who, in their right mind, would open up a brand new $2k gun and remove material?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I would call your cc company first and let them know what's going on and ask them what your next step should be.  I would make sure you include your ffl fees as well. This seller needs to be held accountable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
Bubba'ed....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Who is the seller?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Been watching this to see where it goes.

Please keep ya updated OP
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who is the seller?
View Quote
The seller is Hellbent Firearms in Chesterfield, MO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow.

That sucks. It is used, maybe abused, not new. Hope everything comes out ok.........
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Yikes, I’m getting ready to buy a DW, I’d be losing my shit over that crap.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
If that would have added several hundred dollars to the cost, I wonder why he neglected to mention it in the auction description?   Wouldn't he want the buyer to know what an awesome deal he'd be getting?

I'll bet that gun was up for sale for a long time and the stupid SOB admitted to polishing the parts, and nobody wanted to touch it until he deleted the admission.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Def not as advertised and you did not get what was promised. That said, if the polishing was done correctly to the non MIM parts it should be one slick shooting gun . What weight did the trigger break at ?  Maybe you got a bonus and don't know it .Now as far as the warrentee go's you got the shaft on that end. In the end you did not get what was advertised so you are entitled to a full refund including FFL transfer cost and shipping .
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#39]
This kind of thread makes me realize that I have to be very careful if I ever consider buying a high end 1911 or AR-15 from Gunbroker.  I was looking at the Nighthawk 1911 offerings and they are very pricey.  I want to get the best deal possible.  I need to make sure I find a reputable dealer that will have the customer service after the sale.  Good luck to the OP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#40]
This is messed up.  Never heard of such a thing.  I agree with the others.  Do whatever it takes to get your money back.  He can take that 15% restocking fee and shove it up his ass.  Surely gun broker has some sort of protections for buyers in a case like this.  Sorry OP.  Not cool at all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I have initiated a dispute with my bank. They are waiting for a response from the seller.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Sucks you’re having to go through this.

I got my DW last week and I can’t fathom what would make an idiot “gunsmith” think he could improve.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, my bank completed their investigation and decided in my favor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Good news.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well, my bank completed their investigation and decided in my favor.
View Quote
Good screw that shyster.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#47]
That's some good news.  I couldn't live with a bubba polished 1911.  Even if it ran.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#48]
What did the seller have to say about the bank in your favor? Did you already send it back?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What did the seller have to say about the bank in your favor? Did you already send it back?
View Quote
Indeed.  Also very curious.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top