Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 2:51:49 PM EDT
Cross posting this from the “carry issues” sub forum, hoping for more traffic here.

I’m on the fence about switching up my EDC. I’m looking for thoughts/ opinions please.

Currently I carry a S&W 642 (I know my funeral) however, I want to switch to a semi auto. However, I can’t make up my mind on what to get. I’m mainly a Glock shooter, but I’m not too concerned with brand, mainly concerned with reliability and weight.

The biggest hurdle for me is size/weight of a semi auto vs the snub nose. For those of you that have switched, what did you choose and why.

I’m also writing this, cause I have literally looked at every single stack offering on the market today, and I can’t make up my mind.

ETA - I have a smaller build, think runners body, and a G19 is too big for me to hide. I can pull off a G27/26 size fairly well with most of what I wear. Hope that helps to clear things up a bit. Also, the weight of a G27 is about my limit with what I do daily, and even that gets heavy after awhile, which is why I’m looking at smaller/or single stacks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I didnt necessarily "switch", but I have been known to carry a J frame. Primary was a Glock 43, then added a +2 extension, and now on to a G48 with shield tactical 15 round mags. I dont pocket carry (IWB 4 o'clock), and its been the perfect mix of concealment/size/capacity for me personally. I'm not a big guy (5'10, 190, medium build) and a g19 is just a little tough to conceal without a looser shirt than I normally wear. The 43/48 have been no issue. I say all the extra details you didn't ask for because it really does so often come down to body type, carry style preference, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a semi auto and I guarantee you’ll be leaving at home. If you’ve been caring a 642 for a long time switching over to a semi auto take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I never switched to a wheel gun, and back, but a Sig 365 has never been described as heavy or large.

They are amazing little pistols that shoot like much larger pistols and hold twice the ammo your wheel gun does.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you carry the 642?

I carry a 340pd a lot of the time either appendix or ankle carry.

I recently got a Staccato C (single stack) that I have been carrying owb at 4:00.

I also carry a commander 1911 on a normal basis too.

The gun that I carry the most is the 340pd but am now carrying the Staccato every day...

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never switched to a wheel gun, and back, but a Sig 365 has never been described as heavy or large.

They are amazing little pistols that shoot like much larger pistols and hold twice the ammo your wheel gun does.
View Quote

I have a S&W 638 (Airweight with shrouded hammer) and a Sig P365.

Neither are bulky or heavy, the Sig is slightly heavier but trimmer, the 638 slightly bulkier but lighter...

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do you carry the 642?

I carry a 340pd a lot of the time either appendix or ankle carry.

I recently got a Staccato C (single stack) that I have been carrying owb at 4:00.

I also carry a commander 1911 on a normal basis too.

The gun that I carry the most is the 340pd but am now carrying the Staccato every day...

View Quote

I carry Appendix all the time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cross posting this from the “carry issues” sub forum, hoping for more traffic here.

I’m on the fence about switching up my EDC. I’m looking for thoughts/ opinions please.

Currently I carry a S&W 642 (I know my funeral) however, I want to switch to a semi auto. However, I can’t make up my mind on what to get. I’m mainly a Glock shooter, but I’m not too concerned with brand, mainly concerned with reliability and weight.

The biggest hurdle for me is size/weight of a semi auto vs the snub nose. For those of you that have switched, what did you choose and why.

I’m also writing this, cause I have literally looked at every single stack offering on the market today, and I can’t make up my mind.

ETA - I have a smaller build, think runners body, and a G19 is too big for me to hide. I can pull off a G27/26 size fairly well with most of what I wear. Hope that helps to clear things up a bit. Also, the weight of a G27 is about my limit with what I do daily, and even that gets heavy after awhile, which is why I’m looking at smaller/or single stacks.
View Quote

I have a 340 M&P for summer pocket carry. I’ve recently acquired a 43X for off duty/little bro to my duty G45.

It’s worth the effort and there are some great holsters out there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a 340 M&P for summer pocket carry. I’ve recently acquired a 43X for off duty/little bro to my duty G45.

It’s worth the effort and there are some great holsters out there.
View Quote

What holster do you use? Any pics if you don’t mind me asking?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Could you be a 1911 guy? if so, look into a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm... That would be one awesome carry gun!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Sig 365 , or S&W 2 inch model 10 .

I'd opt for the Sig 365 , awsome little gun .
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Based on the OP...Glock 43X, Glock 48, or Glock 26 and call it a day!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm one of the original 5000 Florida permit holders, and over the years have tried a bunch of different carry guns, some wheel (640, 442, SP101) and both large and small 9mm... I think I've found the best solution for me... a G43x with tritium front and plain black rear in a Tulster IWB
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to carry a 442-2 AIWB.

Switched to a Glock 43 5 years ago and have zero use for a revolver any more.  

The 43 carries better in every way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Main carry pieces are a S&W 642 and a Walther PPS M2. Both in Side Guard AIWB holsters. 642 for when I am walking the dogs around the neighborhood and the PPS M2 with 8+1 and a extra 8rd mag for further out from the house.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve carried J-frames for nearly 30 years both on and off duty mainly as a BUG.

I seldom carry only a J but quick trips to the store... it has happened.

Once the Glock 43 came out the J was back to a backup only role.

When the Glock 43X dropped the G43 was retired... it never fit me well and capacity was just ok.

The G43X is a very capable gun. I don’t use the Shield mags as I’m a stickler for reliability.

The gun is light, fits my hand just right and I’m confident with it.

Here’s a 25y target I shot during testing I did with our new duty load last year. 10 rounds in 20 seconds at 25 yards

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
For OPs situation, after upgrading from a S&W 638 or 1911, if I'm not carrying a bigger G19 or VP9 sized gun, it's one of these:

G43 w/TLR6, night sights, and a +1 baseplate (7+1 capacity, light, laser, lightweight, great sights).

Kimber K6S 3" (night sights, 6 rounds of .357 on tap).

The Kimber seems easier to put on, and is Ammo-agnostic.  The G43 is an all around, well-optioned great choice.  These days I might choose a G48 and outfit it about the same as my G43 (and maybe retire my 19), but the 48 didn't exist at the time.

The 48 or 43X seem to hit that sweet spot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd suggest G26, G43, S&W Shield, in that order.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
S&W Shield 9MM, Pearce grip extension for the 7 round mag, and 147 gr HST (not +p), if you can find them.

Deadly accurate at 15 yards. Easy to shoot. Used to carry a Taurus ultra lite titanium 5 shot. The shield with one in the chamber is 8 rounds, and an 8 round reload in a pocket. Any decent IWB rig and it's going to disappear, and you'll forget you're wearing it.

Ideally, there should be some kind of retention system, but, IDK if I have ever seen an IWB holster with one that works ok. Also, should secure to the belt, and not simply clip over it. Lastly, the choice of belts you make will make a big difference. If a belt is flimsy, your carry gun will be less secure.

Also, think about getting a holster for it where the backing protects your skin from the pistol riding on it. Little things make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Everybody is different so take this with a grain of salt but I have had the following single stack, sub compact 9mm's over the years...

Walther PPS (M1 & M2), S&W Shield, Glock 43 & 48 and the Sig P365XL. I'll start by saying on the upside, all of them were 100% reliable so they are all viable options and it really comes down to which one is right for you?

The PPS M1 was way too squared off and uncomfortable to shoot.

The PPS M2 is very good option and in both mine and my wifes hands, it is very accurate. It is currently my wife's CCW

The Shield was OK but offered nothing over any of the other options IMO. I personally do not care for the M&P triggers but I haven't tried any of the 2.0 versions.

I have been Glock guy for a couple of decades now and currently use the G43 for pocket and ankle carry and the G48 for IWB carry. I like them as they offer a lot of options (Sights, mags, holsters, etc.) and I'm obviously very familiar and comfortable to with the platform. That said, Glock's sub compacts are just not as accurate as I'd like them to be. My wife and I both find the Walther (M2) and Sig to be more accurate. (or maybe I should say, we are more accurate with those guns?)

I've only had 1 range trip with the 365XL but so far, I am very impressed with it. Very accurate and controllable. I'm thinking about buying a standard 365 to potentially replace my G43 with.

So this is my long winded way of saying, if you can, rent as many of the models that you are interested in to see which one is best for you? Based on my experience, my recommendation would be one of the Sig P365's. As a revo guy, you may really appreciate the low profile sights of the P365 SAS model?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:00:11 AM EDT
[#21]
My Sig 365 is thinner than a 1911 with thin grips, shorter than a shield (holding more rounds) and weighs less than my snub 38. It’s really hard to argue how much they stuffed into a small package.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Your single stacks are a generation of design behind.  The Shield series are big heavy clunks.

The HellCat is smaller that your J frame and not much heavier with 12 or 14 rounds on board.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Hellcat-Shooting-The-Gun-Ammo-Selections-and-Impressions/34-194968/

The HellCat, like the 365, are best thought of as high capacity magazines with a barrel and just enough crap to reload the tube.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#23]
@airgunner

I had and sold a Walter M2 after the recall and supposed barrel peening issues. I shot the Glock 43 and thought it was ok. I liked the Sheild 9 (1.0, haven’t been able to shoot a 2.0) and liked them as well. I also had, shot and carried a Kahr CM9, which I didn’t like, it was too small and had way too much bite, so follow up shots weren’t nearly as quick as I’d like. I’ve held the Sig SAS model and hated the sights. I’m currently going back and forth on a G43, G43x Sig 365, G26, or I about to say fuck it all and carry a G21.

Two of my driving factors is - do I want to spend $500-$600 to get ONE more round (In reference to the G43)
And size/weight. Like I said in my OP, I love the G26, but for what I do at work daily, even that gets cumbersome after a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had and sold a Walter M2 after the recall and supposed barrel peening issues. I shot the Glock 43 and thought it was ok. I liked the Sheild 9 (1.0, haven’t been able to shoot a 2.0) and liked them as well. I also had, shot and carried a Kahr CM9, which I didn’t like, it was too small and had way too much bite, so follow up shots weren’t nearly as quick as I’d like. I’ve held the Sig SAS model and hated the sights. I’m currently going back and forth on a G43, G43x Sig 365, G26, or I about to say fuck it all and carry a G21.

Two of my driving factors is - do I want to spend $500-$600 to get ONE more round (In reference to the G43)
And size/weight. Like I said in my OP, I love the G26, but for what I do at work daily, even that gets cumbersome after a few hours.
View Quote

@MattyGunz

I did not hear about the Walther recall and issue you described. I'll have to look into that? Thanks

I would say the 26 is out, as much as you may love it, if its not comfortable enough for you to carry all day then what use is it really?

As for the 43, I've been using Magguts +2 extensions for mine. They add very little to the length of the frame, give you 8+1 capacity and have been 100% reliable so far. The 365 and 43X as you know will give you 10+1. Another option would be a 365 with a 365XL grip module (basically a 365X) which will give you 12+1 and a longer better grip. Is capacity alone worth spending the extra money? Only you can answer that but you will also get a slimmer package which will be more comfortable to carry and quicker reloads.

The 43, 43x, 365 or 365x are all very viable options but only you can determine which one (if any of them) is right for you or whether they are worth the cost? I can only tell you that for me, they are. If money is tight, you may want to consider selling or trading your 26 to help cover the cost?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I have and XDs and a Hellcat.

They both have a longer trigger pull than other compact autos but are reliable
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#26]
@airgunner

The G43, is nice, but I get lost on spending $500-$600 to get ONE more round than my snubby. That’s where the high cap micros came into play, but I’m still going back on forth on size and weight. It’s almost as if there are TOO many choices, all of them with somewhat equal trade offs.

I like the 43x for capacity and slimness, but it’s basically the size of a thin G19.

P365, and Hellcat, are about the same weight as a G26, give or take 4ish ounces. That’s also where I kinda get lost - is that few ounces (and slightly slimmer frame, going to beat out the G26??? I dont know)
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#27]
@MattyGunz
Quoted:
The G43, is nice, but I get lost on spending $500-$600 to get ONE more round than my snubby. That’s where the high cap micros came into play, but I’m still going back on forth on size and weight. It’s almost as if there are TOO many choices, all of them with somewhat equal trade offs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know if there is any such thing as too many choices but yes, they all have their pros and cons. None of them are perfect but no, I don't think the 43 is the right answer for you.

Quoted:
I like the 43x for capacity and slimness, but it’s basically the size of a thin G19.

No, the G48 is the single stack G19. 43x is a single stack G19 with a shorter slide. I actually think the 365 with a XL grip module may be the best overall choice? The 365 has an overall length of 5.8". The 43x has an overall length of 6.5". The 43x is 5.04" tall and the 365 with Xl grip is 4.8" tall and with that combo you get 12rd flush fitting mags which is more then double the capacity of your 642. Granted this will be the most expensive combo but its also one of (if not the) best combos of size vs capacity/grip length available. This combo will be a couple of oz. heavier then your 642 but still lighter then your G26

Quoted:
P365, and Hellcat, are about the same weight as a G26, give or take 4ish ounces. That’s also where I kinda get lost - is that few ounces (and slightly slimmer frame, going to beat out the G26??? I dont know)

I don't know much about the Hellcat because my previous experience with SA polymers guns left me not really caring about anything they make. Don't read too much into that, It may be a great gun, I just don't know and I'm not the person to ask about it or talk about how it compares to other options?

As for the 26, I personally do not like carrying any double stack gun IWB but that's me. You said that its not comfortable for you after a few hours so to me that means either you need to take it out of consideration or learn to deal with it? is it worth spending $500-$700 dollars to replace your current options? Just depends on how much your current options bother you and how much you are willing to spend for a better (if maybe only slightly?) option?

From a purely objective financial perspective, probably not. Just deal with what you have. For me though, in these days, a good quality CCW that works well for you and will carry all day, everyday comfortably is a lot more important then a lot of other stuff in life, so me personally, if I didn't have the money available to make this purchase, I would sell off what I have that leaves me wanting (or put off other less important purchases) to finance this purchase.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 442, Glock 26, Walther PPS M2, Sig 365, Glock 19, Sig M18, Smith 351c, Smith 640 Centenial (38 Special), Ruger LCPII...

I go back and forth all the time with these.  I never want to sell any of them as I like them all...

But the one that is with me 80% of the time is the Sig P365 with a 12 round mag +1 in the pipe with a 15 rounder in my front left pocket.

I just can't logically justify any other of my choices when I am leaving the house.  I do go jogging with the 351c in a fanny pack.  It is amazing for that purpose.  Don't even know it is there and 7 rounds of 22 mag works for that purpose.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Get your hands on what you are shooting the breeze about not knowing.  

A Glock 26 is a short fat brick in your pocket or hand.

The HellCat is unrelated size wise.  It is not understandably small until you hold one and see.   Lighter, thinner, and holds more rounds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The G43, is nice, but I get lost on spending $500-$600 to get ONE more round than my snubby. That's where the high cap micros came into play, but I'm still going back on forth on size and weight.
View Quote
My 43 with TLR6 pictured above has a Pearce grip +1 extension that is functionally the same size as the pinky rest with which the gun comes, but gives you one more round for 7.  With one in the chamber as well, that's 8.  That's a considerable upgrade in capacity vs. your 642.

Plus, the 43 can get night sights and that TLR6 unit to get a weapon mounted light or laser (mine has all of the above) and still be incredibly compact and lightweight.  It's possible to pocket carry my outfitted 43 if I so desired (but I don't, I always carry it IWB).

My 43 setup replaced my 638 in my carry rotation, and I feel fairly well equipped with it as it sits.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

P365, and Hellcat, are about the same weight as a G26, give or take 4ish ounces. That's also where I kinda get lost - is that few ounces (and slightly slimmer frame, going to beat out the G26??? I dont know)
View Quote
You'll have to get one in your hands.

Im an avowed large pistol carrier. 1911's for half a decade, G21 for a couple years, G19 for another half decade. I currently have a G17/RMR/X300 IWB and love the Glock 9mm platform.

BUT, the 365 is an order of magnitude smaller feeling than the traditional G17/19/26 trifecta. Don't let the weight fool you, the size is where the beauty of it actually lies.

You'll just have to try one, as numbers on paper never tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I have carried a g27 in a cargo pocket. Then I went iwb p30sk. I now carry p365 and it is worlds better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#33]
For a back-up in an ankle holster or pocket holster or deep, deep concealment - like the pocket of an athletic protector deep - nothing beats a scandium/titanium J-frame.

For everything else, buy a Sig P365XL and never look back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 642. Had a 43. Great guns. You have to understand your daily life though. Where do you go? How is your area for crime and population? Are you hanging out in a possible target for crime? What do you wear? I wear a fishing style button up or flannel cover shirt to hide bigger guns. It is nothing for me to carry my Glock 21, 35, beretta, m17, etc. My 642 is for gas station runs or backup to full-size. I practice out to about 15 yards. That is where my groups start to open up. I put hits on paper at 50 with a Glock 43. I’m good out to a hundred with my full-size choices. We all differ in what our day may hold for us. Im hoping never to use my pistol. I’m really hoping to never have to use it past 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#35]
And to suggest a pistol for you if you must go semi, go with a 43 with a taren + 1 extension in the gun for 8 onboard and a extra mag or two with vickers +2 extensions. Should be enough for you capacity wise. I only suggest that because you said smaller build so that makes weight and size more ideal for you. Put ameriglo hackathorn sights on it and call it a day. That was my setup and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for the Glock 43x. Slim, light, very shoot-able. I shoot mine nearly as well as a Glock 17 or 19, but it conceals much more easily. 10+1 in the pistol, plus a spare mag in my left front pocket. That’s more than 4x capacity compared to a j-frame, and with a more effective round (IMO).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top