Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2021 3:01:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gtdist.com:
A very special wayback today! We ran across a quote from Roy G. Jinks about the creation of these pistols. There were, in fact, 2 pistols made because the order was for 2.
We give you, genuine "SMITH & WESTERN" revolvers.
View Quote

Roy G. Jinks SWCA #1
"In my experience over the years at Smith & Wesson I have had many calls from people who want S&W's, but did not really know the name and called them Smith & Western. In fact many years ago now, some time in the early 1980's when Bill Orr's company GT Distributors was a Smith & Wesson Distributor, they received and order for a Smith & Western. Bill sent me a copy of the order. Always looking to be helpful I had some special stationary made up and sent back a letter stating that the company was just getting started and we would have his order filled in a few weeks. Every so often I would write and up date as to how the order was coming. In the mean time I took a scrapped Smith & Wesson and made it into a very special light trigger pull revolver, had this gun marked Smith & Western, had a Smith & Western box made and an instruction sheet. We finally shipped the revolver filling the order, and sent the bill. I do not think the bill ever got paid, and to my knowledge, Mr. Orr kept the gun and never used it to fill the order he had. Someday at one of our shows, maybe Mr. Orr will display this revolver. That is my story about the Smith & Western.
Roy "

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a pretty cool story.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a cool story and shows some sense of humor.

But why in the hell did they drill the charge holes?!?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I had $1 for every time I heard some old codger refer to them as "Smith & Westerns".  
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like the real serial number was removed and a new one stamped on the grip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work with a guy that called them "Smiss & Western" and he rode a "Hardley Davidsome".
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a cool story and shows some sense of humor.

But why in the hell did they drill the charge holes?!?
View Quote

The story says the guns were scrapped. Perhaps S&W didn't want them to be fired for good reason.
Or maybe it was just the only way some dweeb middle manager would go along with the gag.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wish I had $1 for every time I heard some old codger refer to them as "Smith & Westerns".  
View Quote

I have gotten so old that I now hear youngsters doing that!

Cool story.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The story says the guns were scrapped. Perhaps S&W didn't want them to be fired for good reason.
Or maybe it was just the only way some dweeb middle manager would go along with the gag.

View Quote

Without applying for a variance from the ATF for the markings, they couldn't be sold or transferred.
Use out of spec, non-functioning parts, assemble, take some pictures, scrap when done.
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to spend some time with Mr. Jinks at a NRA convention. He is quite the gentleman & a damn fine story teller.

He loved the Model 52 & was sad to see its production end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully not derailing too badly. I knew a gunshop that had a mod 52 in their rental case. They regretted doing so since it got heavily abused and spent much time being repaired. I considered buying it when they were
Selling off their old rental stock but the owners warned me away from it. Sad to see since they really were sweet shooting and just a delightful gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top