Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2018 11:07:58 AM EDT
Both are DAO 38's

My question is which has the best trigger. The only revolver I currently own is a M29.

Grew up with Ruger Blackhawks. I.E. Single Actions. (Still find myself instinctively shooting the M29 SA )

This is not a need, more of a just want.

Any experiences with these examples ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/LCR__38_Special__P_Review/32-158221/?

LCR a better trigger.  No need to buy better grips.  Very accurate.

I carry a M&P340 which is the best Smith makes because I had it first.  LCR38 good enough I never sold it, just a spare.

The moment a Smith J frame has a better trigger, it is because it was re-sprung and light strikes will follow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/LCR__38_Special__P_Review/32-158221/?

LCR a better trigger.  No need to buy better grips.  Very accurate.

I carry a M&P340 which is the best Smith makes because I had it first.  LCR38 good enough I never sold it, just a spare.

The moment a Smith J frame has a better trigger, it is because it was re-sprung and light strikes will follow.
View Quote
Thanks for the response & the link.

Again, the price range is comparable between the two. Just habitual for me with revolvers to cock hammer.

Love the M29, however, DA puts rounds on paper 6 or so inches versus clover leaf in SA.

ETA: Crap, after revisiting your link I remember that thread. Damn I'm getting old & forgetful.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Rolls Royce or Chevy?

Hint: the S&W ain't the Chevy..............  
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rolls Royce or Chevy?

Hint: the S&W ain't the Chevy..............  
View Quote
So what you are saying.........

Sorry Gent's

I work in the Auto Industry & the comparisons of auto vs firearms would have me sucking exhaust fumes wanting death to be swift.

Yep, the industry allows me to spend monies on firearms....... however, I AM JADED..... Fuck cars................
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I will go a little different direction and recommend a S&W 360

LIKE THIS
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, LCR has a better trigger out of the box.

But a j frame with a Apex duty/carry kit installed is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly when I bought my J frame. I handled the lcr and while it did have a lighter trigger I thought the trigger reset sucked. I bought a 442 and I think the trigger is just as good just because I felt it staged better than the lcr and when the trigger reset you know it reset, it seemed pretty easy to not fully reset the trigger on the lcr. I think you can't really go wrong either though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The LCR is generally lighter, but I prefer the reset on the S&W trigger over the LCR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger wins this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ruger wins this.
View Quote
I do like the Rugers pinned front sights for options.

Not wanting to "install" trigger upgrades.

May have to do the ARFCOM way of the west..... get both.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
98% of the time a Ruger LCR is in my pocket or in a belt holster. Most of the time I forget it’s there

The other 2% of the time it’s a SW 649

I had the SW 442 but had constant issues and dumped it.

I think either of your choices would suit you well. If you can, try both out to see which you shoot and like better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
S&W 340PD owner here as well, everything the 642 has plus 357 magnum as an option, less weight, pinned front sight, good trigger. I don't hate LCR's but I prefer the smith personally for several reasons. Trigger feel/reset, cylinder release, weight/feature.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my 642 Pro a couple months before the LCR came out in 9mm.
I really like it (especially the moon clips), but the 9mm uses the extra length of the cylinder as extra barrel, so they have similar ballistics to a 3" automatic.
The 9mm LCR is built on the .357 frame though IIRC, which ads a few ounces.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Gentleman, thanks for the responses.

Doing some research on the Smiths that you guys offered up, it boiled down to 642,442 & M&P 340 (the latter being 357 )

Although, the want for the Smiths are high & purchases will be made down the road, I decided for my immediate needs , I was just looking for another viable option for ccw. ( main stay is a P30SK LEM)

So today I bought the Ruger LCR 38

Only have dry fired it, yet thinking this lil gal will be a sweet shooter.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
LCR...better trigger and sight options.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe get the Smith and drop in the Apex Duty Carry spring kit.

Nvm, hope you enjoy the Ruger.  It should be a great gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top