Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2018 11:37:30 PM EDT
I'm okay, gun is okay.  I'm shooting my Compensated P09 with CGW trigger reset kit, 15lb spring and Ammo Marketplace hellfire 9mm remanufactured ammo.  The week before, one of the same rounds would not go to battery, even after lightly banging on the back of the slide.

I was rapid firing the second time and blam, a different sound happened, my ears were ringing even with my ear protection, there was soot on my right hand and black smoke rising in a single column from the chamber.

I took the gun apart and looked at it and there was no damage so I shot another 50 rounds and called it a day. Closer inspection at home reveals no damage.

I emailed ammo marketplace and they said that no well made firearm will fire out of battery, and of course, they're full of shit.  
So what's my question or issue?  I need to know happened from unbiased sources.  This gun eats anything; Russian, American steel, aluminum, 115, 124, jhp,anything...

Must be ammo right? Anyone else have problems with this stuff?  I'm going to the 18# spring to pull the slide closed on questionable brass
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
By the by, my Beretta and Turk 75 clone will both drop the hammer with the chamber slightly out of battery so the company idiot that replied is full of shit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
They're covering their own asses.

I imagine there were some rounds loaded exceeding the max OAL...
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I think you're right they were covering their ass, but what do you mean about the load? Do you think it was overloaded? Would that cause the soot and smoke?  I had a friend posit that theory and if that's what you think happened, I'd be much more comfortable with that than an out of battery discharge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The P-09, like most modern pistols, cannot fire out of battery.  The hammer will not hit the firing pin until the slide is well forward enough to lockup the barrel hood.

Much more likely something bad with the ammo.  Slight overcharge of powder, or the used the same charge of powder as the other rounds, but a heavier bullet sneaked into that one.  You never know with some of these remanufactured ammo outfits...
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you collect and keep the offending brass case?  Can you post pics of it?  That will tell more possibly.  Maybe a primer issue... hard to say without all the evidence.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It was an indoor range and I think the brass went beyond the firing line.  My buddy collected all the brass throughout the day behind the line and he's looking through it.  I think you guys are right, I think it was overcharged.  The pistols okay, all that soot and crap was blown into the back of the gun, soot on my hand, but no damage.  I've been watching and reading and think that's the conclusion.  That ammo company; it would've been nice for them to maybe explore it a bit rather than just dismiss that I had problems with their ammo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear you and your pistol are OK. Yes, the P-09 will not fire out of battery, and it was ammo related. Hellfire Ammo? Never heard of them - just FMJ practice ammo? Does it have a really wide ogive? CZ pistols are notorious for having what is called a "short chamber", where bullet profiles with a wide forward ogive can actually engage the rifling before the case is fully seated. Example is the Berrys plated 124 grain Target Hollow Point - I had to load those ridiculous short to work. It was the ONLY bullet that ever hung up in the Scorpion, too. Was this stuff extremely long or a sharp angled profile? Since you said it was remanufactured, i.e., commercially reloaded, I wonder if they use the equivalent of the Lee FCD to "smooth out" badly seated bullets.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
All of your questions are great and I wish the company would've helped me explore this a little too but they just said, not ammo related, don't forget to look at our specials!  I couldn't believe it.  I'm normally a little bit compulsive but when it comes to my guns, if something happens that's abnormal while I'm firing, I become super curious.  This ammo marketplace was no help.  It's a detective story, I just keep going back in my mind and trying to look at every detail.  That first one that wouldn't go into battery could've been out of round, too long, I just ejected and kept firing and the guys I was with, out in the sticks, just throw stuff.  The indoor range super loud firing experience with the soot and black smoke was an indoor range but like I said, I'm not sure if that brass will surface.  Hasn't yet.  Thanks for your input.
By the way, this P09 just gets better.  The trigger is crisper the more I fire it.  She and I are best friends
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, my buddy reloads and confirmed exactly what you were saying about the fat rounds and the short throat.  He mentioned CZs are exactly like one of my ex girlfriends---doh!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, my buddy reloads and confirmed exactly what you were saying about the fat rounds and the short throat.  He mentioned CZs are exactly like one of my ex girlfriends---doh!
View Quote
I bet if you chamber a round from the magazine the eject you will see contact marks on the bullet from the end of the chamber/throat.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll do that
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top