Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 9:03:23 PM EDT
Noticed this over the weekend while cleaning it up a bit. I’m estimating maybe 1500 rounds on this pistol. All factory loads, no +P rounds. Going to contact them this week for a warranty return. I searched around a little and did not find anything about this failure...

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No offense here, but that looks like an oops to me.   Not saying it was because I don’t see scrape marks, but looks like it does when it’s off the frame and takes a nose dive into a hard surface.  Weird crack.  S&W will fix it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No offense here, but that looks like an oops to me.   Not saying it was because I don’t see scrape marks, but looks like it does when it’s off the frame and takes a nose dive into a hard surface.  Weird crack.  S&W will fix it.
View Quote

Actually, I thought the same thing, but I’m the only owner and I’ve never dropped it. Also, never messed with the factory sights, the crack is right around the front sight dovetail area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Stress crack from a crappy casting.  They better fix it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
SW replaced a cylinder on a police trade in that was bad.  They will fix it for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Going to guess area over hardening from the melonite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
That is no casting, that is machined bar stock.
Big blue will fix it up right. Call them, it is faster than email.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Even a dropped pistol shouldn't crack the slide like that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Metallurgy flaw, not from being dropped.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is no casting, that is machined bar stock.
Big blue will fix it up right. Call them, it is faster than email.
View Quote

A very quick phone call and a return label emailed immediately, so far so good!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it could also be bad timing on the bbl/slide during cycling. Maybe the lugs were cut wrong, or something.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like it could also be bad timing on the bbl/slide during cycling. Maybe the lugs were cut wrong, or something.
View Quote

Good point. Factory barrel and I did take a closer look at it, as it’s the part that’s been mashing that metal. It doesn’t appear any worse for wear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet this is from an oversize front sight being forced into the slide or an undesize dovetail machined into the slide.

I would lay money on the sight being just a few thousands oversize. I've personally seen this before on an HK VP9.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bet this is from an oversize front sight being forced into the slide or an undesize dovetail machined into the slide.

I would lay money on the sight being just a few thousands oversize. I've personally seen this before on an HK VP9.
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Any update?
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any update?
View Quote

Hi- it’s been received by S&W and I’m just waiting to hear back. Maybe been a week or two, the return process and communication to this point has been very satisfactory...
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]
My guess is it started with the front sight being pushed into the dovetail.  On that gun they can be extremely tight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hi- it’s been received by S&W and I’m just waiting to hear back. Maybe been a week or two, the return process and communication to this point has been very satisfactory...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any update?

Awesome. Glad they’re taking care of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Clearly a metallurgy flaw.  No way that was due to being dropped.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some are on there tight as hell imo. Replacing SW sights are a chore sometimes even with a MGW tool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I first just sent the slide in under the original RMA, my mistake as they needed the entire pistol. Found this out after a couple of weeks when the damaged slide was just returned to me. Called them up and they sent another RMA, this time sent the entire pistol. Last week received it back with a new slide. No questions asked by them or me, worked out well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top