Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2021 1:01:43 PM EDT
I have one that was sent back to ruger for the safety deal years ago.  First issue is the little bar that rides up get hung up on the firing pin ?   It will lock the pistol up.  Second  has anyone ever sent one to have a 22lr cylinder fitted for it.  I love the 22 magnum but cost in shooting it.  Just curious .   I will contact ruger but figure I’d ask here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Ruger, tell them you are the original purchaser, and they will send you a shipping label.  If they have spare magnum cylinders, they will fit one.

There are other options to consider.  Borchardt
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had had a .22lr cylinder only.  After checking into getting a new .22 mag cylinder and sending it in to be timed, I sold my .22lr Single Six and bought a used Single Six with both cylinders.  I think I was out about $50.00 for the deal which was less that the other way.
View Quote
I did it this way too. I also got the shorter barrel I wanted.

I am still waiting to find a Super Single Ten in stainless without any glowcrap sights.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i found some at gun shows, they timmed right off the table for me
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The pistol was my dad's. I grew up with him always having it on fishing trips and camping.  It always just had the 22 magnum cylinder from my memory. Getting rid of it for another is out of the question.I don't know if he bought it new.  But I'll check with ruger   .   Thanks  Wardawg
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok my single six was from 1965   . It left the factory as a 22magnum only from the serial number chart .I figured out why it was locking up. There is a screw or pin missing.  It holds the cylinder pin in place.  I'll see if numrich has one.  If not give ruger a call   .  Thanks again,Wardawg
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The part that holds the cylinder pin in place has 3 parts to it.

There is a right and left side, one threads onto the other, and a spring held captive by the two sides.  Looking at the parts diagram the parts are numbered 3, 4, and 5, respectively.

The end of the cylinder pin has a spring loaded portion that pushes the transfer bar away from the frame when the cylinder pin is fully inserted and properly retained.  Again, looking at the parts diagram these parts are shown on the rear of part number 2.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
To elaborate on 2jdtbone 's post:

The long pin that holds the cylinder in place is called a base pin.
On the old 3 screw (non safety conversion) pistols the end of the base pin is just a rounded end (2 pins on the left in the below image)
On the newer single actions and the converted 3 screw models the base pin has a small plunger in the end of it (3 pins on the right)

The pin serves to push the transfer bar (sliding bar that covers the firing pin when you pull the trigger) out in order to clear the firing pin.
If this pin is missing or you happen to have the old model base pin in the gun the transfer bar will hang up on the bottom of the firing pin and exhibit the symptoms you describe.

Parts 3,4, and 5 in the image are the base pin latch. This is there to hold the base pin in the frame and keeping it from backing out under recoil (not too large of an issue on a single six). While I have heard of some base pin latches getting buggered up, those are mostly on the 45 colt and 44 mag Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks as a result of heavy recoiling loads.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny thing.  The pistol started messing up 4 years ago.  I put it away and was going to get with ruger.  Never did. Pulled it out last weekend and finally saw the problem. Was starring me down.  The pin was missing causing the cylinder pin to move back and not put pressure on trans get bar.  Exactly like y’all stated.   I found two out of the three pieces.  I’m missing the nut.  I got one on order from Numrich.  The long screw and spring was laying in the soft case I keep it in. The nut vanished.  Thanks for the reply’s and help, WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my part in and she now works great again. Thanks for the help.  WarDawg Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The part that holds the cylinder pin in place has 3 parts to it.

There is a right and left side, one threads onto the other, and a spring held captive by the two sides.  Looking at the parts diagram the parts are numbered 3, 4, and 5, respectively.

The end of the cylinder pin has a spring loaded portion that pushes the transfer bar away from the frame when the cylinder pin is fully inserted and properly retained.  Again, looking at the parts diagram these parts are shown on the rear of part number 2.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78446/Ruger_NMSingleSix_schem_jpg-1831729.JPG
View Quote

They might send you that free too, just tell them you lost it.

I lost a pin on my LC9S when I took it apart to remove the mag safety. Pretty much the only way to lose that part is by taking the gun apart past factory recommendations.

I called and asked if I could buy the part(it WAS my fault) and they sent one out free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top