Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2018 6:48:29 PM EDT
Hey guys, new here and I have a question for the group.

I’m building up a G19 compact based carry pistol, IWB 4 o clock carry and I have a question about sights.

I just got my straight 8 slant pro night sights in the mail, and a friend sent me a link to the XS big dot night sights, which seem much faster for close range, though less accurate for any distance.

Now I know most CCW engagements are going to be close range, but dumping precision seems like bad policy.

So my thoughts,

Just install the straight 8s

Send them back and get the XS big dot

Or...get some of that heat activated fishing lure paint (thinking white) and paint the edge of the front blade of the straight 8s
ALSO, if I did this would I mess up that front sight if I heated it up to apply the paint?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive always just run ameriglo factory glock night sites. I buy blue label LEO discount and NS arent but $40 more.

They have served me well over the years.

The few that i purchased with plastic sights i switched out with ameriglo Spartans and they are perfect for me. the xs and so on never really did it for me cause I never know when a very accurate shot has to be made at 25 plus yards

you can send your glock slide in and have glock install factory night sights for $50
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive always just run ameriglo factory glock night sites. I buy blue label LEO discount and NS arent but $40 more.

They have served me well over the years.

The few that i purchased with plastic sights i switched out with ameriglo Spartans and they are perfect for me. the xs and so on never really did it for me cause I never know when a very accurate shot has to be made at 25 plus yards

you can send your glock slide in and have glock install factory night sights for $50
View Quote
Thanks!

I’ll take a look at those

Currently I don’t have a slide as it’s being built right now by lonewolf
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been running night sights 23 years on my various carry guns.  I put glock factory sights on my last purchase.  I looked at various sights because I really wanted to try something different.    Finally said "screw it, I can hit the best with the factory ones."  Find something that is consistent and works for you, then standardize your sight platform.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd stick with the heinie.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd stick with the heinie.
View Quote
What about tossing some paint on that front blade?
Think it’s worth it?  And how best to do it if it is?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
@NovemberTango

Heinie on my G19s for years. Tried the big dots for a bit but didn’t like them out past 15 yards. These are Heinie Straight Eight  with a base of white paint pen and a coat of testors blaze orange model paint. I shoot my carry gun a lot and I only need to touch these up maybe once a year. It’s super easy to just strip it off with the wife’s nail polish remover and re apply.

Sorry for the bad picks but I just pulled the gun and took phone picks at the table.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks again
View Quote
Hopefully this helps. I found a photo of the base layer. I use a tooth pick to put the orange coat onAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
[img]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

Much improved over just black?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:19:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Black rear with front fiber>heine>xs big dot>factory glock night sights. Bright front colors help. The huge dot and shallow v notch may help if you have inconsistent presentations but allows more variation when shooting fast. Notch and post sights are easier to correct left/right in recoil while tracking you sights. If you are not tracking your sights in recoil your grip and sight focus probably sucks. With that said the big dot can still be shot very accurately it just requires more attention to sight alignment. Tritium rarely is needed in most lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks!

Much improved over just black?
View Quote
Very much.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Throw a little orange paint on the front and you basically have an I-dot pro sights. I have a set on my 19 and they work. Easy to pick up in the day time,easy to line up at night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I put some XS on my 43 to try it out. They are not faster on target for me. I have no doubt in a high stress engagement a front sight focus would be easier with them. But a pair of blacked out rear's and a red paint/ night sight or fiber optic front sight is faster for me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I do the same as Anotherfng  I've sworn by it for a few years now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks again
View Quote
Not sure what sight I want to go with yet, so I took an orange sharpie and colored the front sight of my G48, and colored the rear sight with a fluorescent green sharpie. Works well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a g30 with XS big dots.... its only good for close range due to how big that front sight is.  My carry 19 has fiber front & blacked out rear.  I'd go for whatever gives you a brighter front with a dark rear.  You may be able to sell/return both sets and just buy a fiber set (check the EE).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top