Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2018 4:22:42 PM EDT
I have an older, used (lightly) Sig TacOps 1911 in .45.....Solid Trigger, No Ambi Safety, no Magwell, angled grips....

I wanted to put the Sig TacOps threaded barrel in it.  Found a great price on one (Optics Planet), and saw the Youtube video where the guy just "DROPS" the barrel into his TacOps...

Well, I can't get the damn thing to fit......Or, it's goes in, but, I can't get the slide to go forward.....

SO....Either I'm FUCKING something up....

Or, I need to have it "FIT" by my local gunsmith.....

Any advice from the "CHEAP SEATS"????

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Got pics?

Starting VERY basic since no frame of reference - did the new barrel come with a pinned link?  Is the series 80 lever pushed out of the way?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the barrel fully engage the upper lugs of the slide?   When slid back and pressed up, it should move up roughly .040" to 0.050".    If it moves up significantly less, it maybe due to a tight barrel hood fit, or tight bushing fit.

Remove the link and pin.  Assemble barrel, slide, and frame and insert slide stop.  Will the barrel go fully into battery?  If so, you may have a link problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The barrel did come with the link and pin installed....

I'll have to retry everything again, before I take it in....And take a picture or three....

It does look like it mates up correctly, but....WTF do I know???
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There are some really good YouTube videos on how to fit a 1911 barrel.  I’m not being a smart ass; just watched a really good one a few days ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I reassembled everything again, and then used some lube/clp on the barrel and slide.  Finally got things moving. I think it was just a very VERY tight fit....

So, I think that was the problem.

I can rack the slide now.

SO, it's "RANGE" time.....I think it'll be okay.  And as I get a few rounds thru it it'll break it....

Or that's my thought!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top