Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
I typically carry a Hi Power or 1911 IWB 4:00 or so. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting something a little smaller to carry appendix.

I am considering getting a 365. In looking at the different configurations, I started thinking a 365XL with a regular 365 grip would be about perfect.

Am I right in thinking I could pick up a 365XL with the manual safety, then just buy one of the 365 manual safety grip modules (just the plastic piece) and swap it into that?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, that is correct, but you will also need at least one non-xl short mag to make it worth it.
You should also use the right spacers for any longer mags you intend to use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do that, but that’s retarded. The short grip sucks to shoot compared to the XL so unless you need super deep concealment (where you should have a P365 slide too) it makes no sense. With a 12rd mag and extensions it’s actually longer than the XL grip with the same mag so you lose there in size, plus pinch your finger on reloads.

The XL grip and gun overall is perfect for IWB or AIWB carry and is going to be tiny compared to what you’ve been carrying. My EDC is a P365XL and I have two plus two regular P365’s and it’s my favorite gun I’ve ever carried. I tried the XL grip on the short slide and vise versa and decided that Sig really did get the combo’s right and just left them as is. All they need is a decent light, holster, and MRDS if that’s your thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes you can. It’s what I do, but carry at 3

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could do that, but that’s retarded. The short grip sucks to shoot compared to the XL so unless you need super deep concealment (where you should have a P365 slide too) it makes no sense. With a 12rd mag and extensions it’s actually longer than the XL grip with the same mag so you lose there in size, plus pinch your finger on reloads.

The XL grip and gun overall is perfect for IWB or AIWB carry and is going to be tiny compared to what you’ve been carrying. My EDC is a P365XL and I have two plus two regular P365’s and it’s my favorite gun I’ve ever carried. I tried the XL grip on the short slide and vise versa and decided that Sig really did get the combo’s right and just left them as is. All they need is a decent light, holster, and MRDS if that’s your thing.
View Quote

I may well come to the conclusion you did, however I disagree with your statement that it is per se retarded.

Obviously if I am thinking I will change out grip frames, I also have the presence of mind to go to the shorter magazine as well. I have tried a lot of combinations in carry pieces. One of my favorites has been an officer frame with commander slide with a 1911. I see no reason why a similar combination here wouldn’t also have advantages.

The grip is the hard part to conceal most times. I am aware a shorter grip has disadvantages for shooting. But it also has commensurate advantages for carry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Is this with the manual safety? Do you have any idea if that would change anything about the swap?

I’ve never tried appendix carry, but think if I had a safety in the pistol and a small enough package I might like it. Thinking this could be the combo to give it a try.

I’m really thinking of something I can use when I’m not in my typical work attire. It’s easy to hide a gun when wearing jeans and dress shirts. Thinking about something I can use if running to town in basketball shorts or just a light t shirt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 365 and an XL with a 407K and have tried the mix and match,
aside from the stock configurations, for me, the XL slide on 365 lower works
real well for more concealed AIWB, you can run the 12rd mag for a full grip
Without the flared mag well which can print a little in light summer shirts or
run the 10rd which disappears AIWB with a good holster and belt.
They're great little guns but, I still prefer to carry a 4" compact most of the time.
Choices are good, to each their own
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is this with the manual safety? Do you have any idea if that would change anything about the swap?

I’ve never tried appendix carry, but think if I had a safety in the pistol and a small enough package I might like it. Thinking this could be the combo to give it a try.

I’m really thinking of something I can use when I’m not in my typical work attire. It’s easy to hide a gun when wearing jeans and dress shirts. Thinking about something I can use if running to town in basketball shorts or just a light t shirt.
View Quote

Mine isn’t the safety. I hear you can do it with the safety and if the lower isn’t prepped for it you can cut a notch
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]
“F- - -“ a safety on a 365xl.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
“F- - -“ a safety on a 365xl.
View Quote

It's very low profile, just leave it off...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I may well come to the conclusion you did, however I disagree with your statement that it is per se retarded.

Obviously if I am thinking I will change out grip frames, I also have the presence of mind to go to the shorter magazine as well. I have tried a lot of combinations in carry pieces. One of my favorites has been an officer frame with commander slide with a 1911. I see no reason why a similar combination here wouldn’t also have advantages.

The grip is the hard part to conceal most times. I am aware a shorter grip has disadvantages for shooting. But it also has commensurate advantages for carry.
View Quote

It’s still very different from a commander slide on an officer frame. It’s short, too short for anything other than a true micro pistol. The XL is an in between of a micro and compact and just feels great out of the box. With the short grip module on it, it’s just awkward. It doesn’t point well or shoot well. If you’re that concerned with concealment over shootability then it would be best to just skip the XL all together and get the standard P365.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It’s still very different from a commander slide on an officer frame. It’s short, too short for anything other than a true micro pistol. The XL is an in between of a micro and compact and just feels great out of the box. With the short grip module on it, it’s just awkward. It doesn’t point well or shoot well. If you’re that concerned with concealment over shootability then it would be best to just skip the XL all together and get the standard P365.
View Quote

Unless you happen to have smaller hands, or prefer the longer sight radius and/or optic.

I'm not going with the short grip, but I'm not going to tell someone else what to do with their money when grip modules are like $40.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's damn near exactly like a CCO 1911 with the short grip. Many on here carry shields or small single stack 9mm glocks. Hell many carry 38s but almost nobody says you are undergunned with 9mm. For me, comfort in carry (shorter grip, longer slide) means the thing is actually stuffed in my pants when I'm out in the world. On paper a Glock 19 or M&P 2.0c is "about the same size" but the small differences add up. The 2.0c means I have to size up in pants, the XL doesn't. I get a red dot and the short grip with 10 round mag and pinky rest happens to fit me fine.

I bought the gun to set up like this, and actually had the short grip before I had the whole gun. It's a really good combo that shoots above it's size and price. Honestly. I have no trouble hitting a face sized target at speed at 25 yards with it, which is honestly harder for me to do with my $2500 1911s. Granted I like them more, but I am coming to terms with the idea that tools evolve and so should I.

I fully know that a roland glock 34 is a "better" CCW and a 300BO SBR is a "better" gun if you actually need a gun.  But when I'm out in the world it's the sig. If camping or traveling it's a 4.5" 9mm PCC added to the glove box. While there are better options in the world, I actually want to live my life, be able to carry my kids and not just gear, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's damn near exactly like a CCO 1911 with the short grip. Many on here carry shields or small single stack 9mm glocks. Hell many carry 38s but almost nobody says you are undergunned with 9mm. For me, comfort in carry (shorter grip, longer slide) means the thing is actually stuffed in my pants when I'm out in the world. On paper a Glock 19 or M&P 2.0c is "about the same size" but the small differences add up. The 2.0c means I have to size up in pants, the XL doesn't. I get a red dot and the short grip with 10 round mag and pinky rest happens to fit me fine.

I bought the gun to set up like this, and actually had the short grip before I had the whole gun. It's a really good combo that shoots above it's size and price. Honestly. I have no trouble hitting a face sized target at speed at 25 yards with it, which is honestly harder for me to do with my $2500 1911s. Granted I like them more, but I am coming to terms with the idea that tools evolve and so should I.

I fully know that a roland glock 34 is a "better" CCW and a 300BO SBR is a "better" gun if you actually need a gun.  But when I'm out in the world it's the sig. If camping or traveling it's a 4.5" 9mm PCC added to the glove box. While there are better options in the world, I actually want to live my life, be able to carry my kids and not just gear, etc.
View Quote

Thanks. This fits with a lot of what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's still very different from a commander slide on an officer frame. It's short, too short for anything other than a true micro pistol. The XL is an in between of a micro and compact and just feels great out of the box. With the short grip module on it, it's just awkward. It doesn't point well or shoot well.
View Quote
For you. Everyone is different. There are literally people in this thread that have said they tried it and love it. And it should shoot as well or better than a 365 with slightly reduced recoil and muzzle rise. Certainly no worse than the standard 365. Stop acting like your way is the only way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top