Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 7:17:24 PM EDT
Just got this gun 2 weeks ago, range finally opened up, and had an out of battery round fired about 10 shots into the 1st magazine I put through it. Ammo is WWB FMJ which ruptured the case and the smoke let me know something obviously happened. Had to pull the case out with a tool then noticed the extractor was completely missing. I took the slide off at the range but I am now unable to get the slide back far enough to lock back to get the take down lever swung forward. Aside from the missing extractor theres no signs of damage that I can see.

Going to contact Sig on Tuesday but pretty disappointing way to start off with a new gun. Not really sure if its an ammo or mechanical issue. I normally check my ammo as I load them into mags and wouldn't fire janky or questionable stuff. Zero reloads or reman around. Any ideas on cause or how it could fire out of battery?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Obvious that it was well out of battery... should have been a "click--no bang" for sure.
I'm sure they will take care of it, but doesn't do much for instilling confidence in the platform.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you were firing pretty quickly? Sigs have a long slide rail design that gives a lot more contact area and friction than say on a Glock. My P365 when new, slide was super gritty and would partially shut on a round, then like a half second delay full shut into battery the first few mags. On one of the strings I dropped the firing pin out of battery but luckily didn't make contact on the round. My guess is same thing happened here only, you were a bit unluckier. You really need to put ~200 rounds through the Sigs to break them in smooth. I feel that way with any new handgun other than maybe Glock, but with Sig, big time need to break them in
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Had something similar happened to a P320 XFive two years ago.  I posted up a thread in GD and got a bunch of hijinx (GD) and some insight.  

My new P320 X5 Blew Out

Can't really add anything more expect to say I've fired several thousand rounds thru both my XCarry and XFive the past two years with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The 320 sure has a lot of problems, I expect more since mil is using it.  The 320 I had was a little hesitant to go in batterry too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have calibers?  Can you mic the size of the WWB rounds?  WWB (white box) is not known for their precise QC.  Have you contacted WWB?  OOBs can be from case length too long, bad barrel, & RSA.  Interested in what Sig says.  They might want the gun back or just give you a new extractor and say say plug away again.  I've also had an OOB with a Glock with factory ammo, albeit a .40.  Not brand specific.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I ended up buying a new extractor from Brownells, and will put some more rounds through it this weekend. Any more issues and Ill contact Sig but didn't really realize how easy it is to replace myself until I started looking around YouTube.

One thing I did notice is theres a bit of resistance when the slide gets to about 1/4-1/3" from locking up. I assume things are just tight being new, and Ive been racking it ton to try to help things get worn in. The sluggish movement starts when the front of the slide is even with the end of the barrel and both start moving forward in unison.

Also got a fresh case of PMC and Win NATO spec ammo to see if that runs ok. The WWB was pretty old and been moved around the country so I wanted to eliminate that. This time around Ill be checking the slide lockup after each round.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top