Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got mil/le preorder pricing through sig at $576
View Quote
Crap.  I am retired mil and did not think of getting one that way.  About 670$ out the door for mine.

Picked one up yesterday.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GhUpDk7zaNWefNyt5
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can anyone who has the commemorative confirm if it has the slide disconnect like the post recall P320s or not?
View Quote
@Blain

Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the commemorative M17 or the civi P320 M17 with the black controls?

I'm assuming the Trigger module also has the corresponding added disconnect like the rest of the post recall P320s?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is the commemorative M17 or the civi P320 M17 with the black controls?

I'm assuming the Trigger module also has the corresponding added disconnect like the rest of the post recall P320s?
View Quote
@Blain

It's a commemorative M17.

Yes, it has the disconnect and the obvious skinny trigger.

I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that the Army's  M17s had the "upgrades as well". Since the XM17 has the fat trigger and the ones being sent to the Army had the skinny triggers.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/09/mhs-m17-already-fixed-p320-drop-failure-issue-voluntary-upgrade-pistols-will-receive-mhs-triggers/

I haven't seen inside an issued M17 though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@Blain

It's a commemorative M17.

Yes, it has the disconnect and the obvious skinny trigger.

I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that the Army's  M17s had the "upgrades as well". Since the XM17 has the fat trigger and the ones being sent to the Army had the skinny triggers.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/09/mhs-m17-already-fixed-p320-drop-failure-issue-voluntary-upgrade-pistols-will-receive-mhs-triggers/

I haven't seen inside an issued M17 though.
View Quote
The real M17s do NOT have the slide disconnect.  It has the skinny trigger, and that's it.  The commemoratives are not real M17s like Sig claims...  That actually irks me!

Might as well buy the cheaper civy model then.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The commemorative M17s DO have the slide disconnect, therefor it is not a real M17 and the issue pistols don't have that.

Too bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Are you unable to adjust the windage on the M17 sights?  I'm also guessing you can't buy a taller rear sight if you need to raise the elevation also.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting...

@Coregon Where can I get instructions on how to remove the rear sight plate on the M17 and mount my DPP?

Also, what suppressor height front sightt do I need to get it to work with the DPP rear sight? Preferably all black.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180831_183928-657337.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180831_184949-657338.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...

@Coregon Where can I get instructions on how to remove the rear sight plate on the M17 and mount my DPP?

Also, what suppressor height front sightt do I need to get it to work with the DPP rear sight? Preferably all black.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180831_183928-657337.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180831_184949-657338.jpg
@TCBA_Joe

Remove your slide.
Remove your striker assembly.
Under your slide there are 2x screws that attach your cover on the slide.  Remove those and the cover will come off.
Attach/Remove your DPP the same way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DPP iron sight is backordered and I still need a corresponding front iron sight. But this is gonna be fun...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180903_211910-660486.jpg

Coregon, where's my M18?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The M17 has a combat issue.  It is not muzzle blind, when pressed against a barrier or the body of an enemy it can be pushed out of battery. A full length grip module helps prevent this. I think in an effort to remain true to form and only purchase one length of modules they defaulted to the carry length for both guns.  It looks military but is disfunctional in a way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The M17 has a combat issue.  It is not muzzle blind, when pressed against a barrier or the body of an enemy it can be pushed out of battery
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that's the case for every semi-auto pistol with a reciprocating slide...?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#15]
The civil p320 FS extends the grip to the slide end and helps prevent the issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like quantico has some available for the military program purchasers. Got a notice that mine is about to ship.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The civil p320 FS extends the grip to the slide end and helps prevent the issue.
View Quote
How much of an issue is it really though...?

1. Was the Beretta M9 "muzzle blind"?

2. Are contact shots with a handgun really that big of a concern in the military?

3. If they are, is it really that big of a deal to pull your hand back an inch or so to let the slide fully lock and fire rounds?

Granted I am not Mil or LEO and don't really know what emphasis they put on contact shooting, so I freely admit I could be very wrong about this
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How much of an issue is it really though...?

1. Was the Beretta M9 "muzzle blind"?

2. Are contact shots with a handgun really that big of a concern in the military?

3. If they are, is it really that big of a deal to pull your hand back an inch or so to let the slide fully lock and fire rounds?

Granted I am not Mil or LEO and don't really know what emphasis they put on contact shooting, so I freely admit I could be very wrong about this
View Quote
Well it is a pretty much free fix using existing hardware and I would hope no one ever ran into the issue but it is there none the less.

The M9 barrel does not move like other pistols. It floats just a little but does not float to lock the action like most current designs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@Coregon
Do you have any idea what front sight I'm going to need for this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Coregon
Do you have any idea what front sight I'm going to need for this?
No idea.  I would guess one of our standard suppressor height front sights.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The M17 has a combat issue.  It is not muzzle blind, when pressed against a barrier or the body of an enemy it can be pushed out of battery. A full length grip module helps prevent this. I think in an effort to remain true to form and only purchase one length of modules they defaulted to the carry length for both guns.  It looks military but is disfunctional in a way.
View Quote
At the right angles, you can still push a slide OOB even with a full length dustcover. In order to absolutely prevent that, you would need a purpose built standoff device mounted to the front of the frame. That would add weight and potentially limit your ability to mount weaponlights/etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

At the right angles, you can still push a slide OOB even with a full length dustcover. In order to absolutely prevent that, you would need a purpose built standoff device mounted to the front of the frame. That would add weight and potentially limit your ability to mount weaponlights/etc.
View Quote
Or just add a weapon light and use that as your standoff device;

https://youtu.be/SC1_TifgGNk
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The dust cover also helps shield the workings from more dirt and debris, which should ensure more reliable functioning in more adverse conditions.  The advantage of the carry grip is that it does feel more nimble in hand and less muzzle heavy.

One advantage of the P320 that is not advertized, but is huge compared to most other auto pistols like a glock is that the P320 DOES have a stand off feature.  IE, if you press the gun against a target and pull the trigger, it will still fire even though the slide is slightly compressed.  If a glock's slide is compressed at all, it won't fire.

Massad Ayoob discovered this in his review of the P320 below.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/12/massad-ayoob-tests-sig-sauer-p320-9mm/#sig-sauer-p320-beauty

What Phil Strader said when I emailed him my concern about the P320 loosing this ability with the addition of the slide disconnect through the "upgrade" program (which the M17 doesn't have which was why I was disappointed to see the commemorative adopt it).

The mechanical disconnect was in response to a specific contract, but we discovered that it solved a few other annoying issues aswell…it was a nice bonus.  However, it shouldn’t affect the P320’s stand-off ability.  The current design also has a disconnect safety…just not an actual mechanical device.  Being as the frame and slide are the same length, the slide doesn’t push out of battery when pressed against a hard surface, so it shouldn’t be affected.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
DPP iron sight is backordered and I still need a corresponding front iron sight. But this is gonna be fun...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20180903_211910-660486.jpg

Coregon, where's my M18?
View Quote
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What Phil Strader said when I emailed him my concern about the P320 loosing this ability with the addition of the slide disconnect through the "upgrade" program (which the M17 doesn't have which was why I was disappointed to see the commemorative adopt it).  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This clearly bugs the crap out of you since you keep bringing it up.

I don't know. But how do you know this? You see the innards of a 17 sent to the 101st or some other unit? If true, that is a bit disappointing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I think simply going to the full length grip module could mitigate much of the concern.

I checked my post upgrade FS and it takes just over .20 of an inch of rearward barrel and slide movement for the trigger to disconnect. A full length module does help keep the barrel and slide from moving that much unless the pressure is against the sight blade area and at an acute angle.

Flat on or pressure against the lower edge of the front of the pistol, does not move the barrel/slide enough to engage the disconnect because the grip module protects the front of the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone received their coin and certificate from Sig yet? I sent mine in on 9/4 and still showing processing....
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone received their coin and certificate from Sig yet? I sent mine in on 9/4 and still showing processing....
View Quote
Coin and cert arrived today. Very cool coin.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey All. Just picked up two Commems for a low price of $782.00 per :)

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey All. Just picked up two Commems for a low price of $782.00 per :)

https://i.imgur.com/rDzuEmP.jpg
View Quote
Nice. that's insanely low pricing. How'd you manage that? That's below dealer cost from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The Base Exchange was having a 15% off sale if you use your "Star Card" (like a military credit card). The original price is $910, and was floored even at that price. I have a third M17 Commem waiting to clear lol.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Base Exchange was having a 15% off sale if you use your "Star Card" (like a military credit card). The original price is $910, and was floored even at that price. I have a third M17 Commem waiting to clear lol.
View Quote
Nice.

I love it when a plan comes together. Even if not for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Funny thing is that they have one in the showcase @ $910 for regular price...and that is the out the door price (no tax on firearms).
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked mine up tonight. Can’t wait to check it out at work tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Got a commercial model today. Gotta say, from handling it I prefer it over the 19X. We’ll see how it does at the range in a few days.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#37]
My commemorative comes back from Sig repair on Tuesday.  Crossing my fingers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My commemorative comes back from Sig repair on Tuesday.  Crossing my fingers.
View Quote
What was wrong with it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I am curious also?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The real M17s do NOT have the slide disconnect.  It has the skinny trigger, and that's it.  The commemoratives are not real M17s like Sig claims...  That actually irks me!

Might as well buy the cheaper civy model then.
View Quote
Did not the final issue M17 get the slide disconnect along with removal of the takedown pin lock? Blain, have you laid eyes on an issue M17?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Military M17 does have slide disconnect, answered by Sig here
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ive gotten the impression that the issued M17 will be upgraded through ECPs to an M17A1 that will more closely match the P320-M17 (black controls, disconnect safety, etc...).
View Quote
Note that the video interview linked above confirms that the black controls were adopted as the standard for military M17s going forward. The SIG rep says that the MHS test pistols and the first batch delivered to the 101st had tan controls (like the commemorative pistol), but all M17s after that will have black controls (like the commercial M17). One difference he mentions is that the Army specified night sights with a green front dot and orange rear dots, but both the commemorative and commercial M17s have all green dots. SIG felt that the green rear dots are easier to acquire and is apparently recommending that the Army make that change also.

I plan to buy an M17 through SIG’s MIL/LE program eventually, and I’ll go with the commercial version - both cheaper and a closer match to the majority of military pistols with the black controls.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

One difference he mentions is that the Army specified night sights with a green front dot and orange rear dots, but both the commemorative and commercial M17s have all green dots.
View Quote
This is incorrect.  My Commemorative has orange rear night sights.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is incorrect.  My Commemorative has orange rear night sights.
View Quote
You are correct, it was stated correctly in the video.  He just mistakenly typed it incorrectly
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#45]
No, sorry, I misunderstood that from the video. It was tough to follow - I was holding my phone up to my ear trying to make out all the details.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Ya, sorry, like I said in the video, technology failed me - who am I kidding, my lack of technological skills failed me LOL. We actually tried to do it in person at Sig, but Tom was just too busy and we both thought it was a good idea to get the info out, so the phone was the only option.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
No worries - I’m not complaining at all, I’m grateful for the information you were able to share through that interview! I’m not sure if I’ll get back to a unit where I’ll be issued an M17 before I retire from the Army, but I’m interested in getting a personal one, and your video was very helpful in giving me a better understanding of the options. Thanks a lot for sharing the interview with us!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:45:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This clearly bugs the crap out of you since you keep bringing it up.

I don't know. But how do you know this? You see the innards of a 17 sent to the 101st or some other unit? If true, that is a bit disappointing.
View Quote
I tried searching for pics underneath a contract m17 slide (seems tough finding one though), however this is what I found:

Below is P320 trigger assembly seen with the trigger disconnect safety at the top left. (https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/08/jeremy-s/mechanics-behind-sig-p320-drop-safety-failures/)

...and this one below is from an issued M17 with no disconnect safety at all. (http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/16/sofic-sigs-m17-m18-modular-handgun-update/)
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Dumb question: How is the sight plate removed? No visible mounting screws underneath.

Edit: Looks like I found that answer in the Dawson sight thread but now a follow up question: does the Leupold sight have mounting bosses for either slide configuration or is the military sight unique?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Weird how the m17 slide matches right up flush with the xFive grip module.  
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top