Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2018 4:15:13 PM EDT
I just purchased a Sig P226 Mk25 from gentleman who says he only put a few hundred rounds through the gun. I put about 100 rounds through it. It's shoots beautifully. I love the gun. In fact, I'm thinking of carrying it instead of my Walther PPQ.

When cleaning it, however, I noticed that there is what looks to be significant wear on the underside of the right slide rail on the frame. The anodizing on the frame has been worn through. The underside of the left rail looks fine, as does the top of both rails. See picture below.

Attachment Attached File

I found a post by Grayguns suggesting that when the anodizing is worn through, it's "time to buy a new gun." But I've found other posts suggesting that this type of wear is not unusual, and the rate of wear will diminish as time goes on; just be sure to keep the slides properly greased.

Is this normal wear? Should I have reason for concern? Anyone else observed this specific wear pattern on their frame?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
first pistol?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new to Sig pistols. My prior experience has always been with "tactical tupperware", such as the Walther PPQ.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy just ran it without grease.  Grease it up, GTG.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Your gun is still in the black/ shiny black phase of Bruce Gray's descriptions IMHO.  That has not gone through the dull orange to gold wear yet.  Just looks like it's worn through the Nitron, not the anodizing yet.

OP, I would run a light grease on it and enjoy your fine firearm.  I have a Mk25 too with around 1k through it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your gun is still in the black/ shiny black phase of Bruce Gray's descriptions IMHO.  That has not gone through the dull orange to gold wear yet.  Just looks like it's worn through the Nitron, not the anodizing yet.

OP, I would run a light grease on it and enjoy your fine firearm.  I have a Mk25 too with around 1k through it.
View Quote
All that is on the frame is anodizing with dye.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy just ran it without grease.
View Quote
Yes. I could see oil residue, but it didn't look like any grease had been used.

Has anyone tried using Aeroshell 33ms grease on the rails? I have a bunch of it left over from a recent AR build.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#7]
That's normal.  Do as described.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine used and it was worn in the same way. I was worried about it but as others have said it is normal.

I've been using the TW25b grease and it has been smooth as can be with no additional wear.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

All that is on the frame is anodizing with dye.
View Quote
Opps, yep.  Nitron is only on the slide.  My bad.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Perfectly normal and self-limiting. The major frame wear spot to worry about is at the top back by the hammer. Grease with tw or similar grease, and enjoy your sweet pistol!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just purchased a Sig P226 Mk25 from gentleman who says he only put a few hundred rounds through the gun. I put about 100 rounds through it. It's shoots beautifully. I love the gun. In fact, I'm thinking of carrying it instead of my Walther PPQ.

When cleaning it, however, I noticed that there is what looks to be significant wear on the underside of the right slide rail on the frame. The anodizing on the frame has been worn through. The underside of the left rail looks fine, as does the top of both rails. See picture below.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/483930/20180714_154812-COLLAGE-607631.JPG

I found a post by Grayguns suggesting that when the anodizing is worn through, it's "time to buy a new gun." But I've found other posts suggesting that this type of wear is not unusual, and the rate of wear will diminish as time goes on; just be sure to keep the slides properly greased.

Is this normal wear? Should I have reason for concern? Anyone else observed this specific wear pattern on their frame?
View Quote
I have a Made in Germany Sig P220 with the bottom mag release that I got used from a police officer (I believe it was his duty gun) in the '80s that had wear when I got it and continued to wear as I used it.  It has  never jammed, and feels like there is still a very tight slide to frame fit.  Just got four new mags for it so I'll be happy for quite some time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The wear pattern of the P226 is always my favorite. Yours appear normal.

The recommended grease is TW25b. Just a small dab will do.

I use grease on mine, and honestly the wear is still there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The p226 is very different from other pistols in that it features a full rail along the frame. Other pistols like the Beretta 92fs have less contact points.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
OP - this looks OK.
My 226 has over 13K round through it with maybe a little bit more wear showing.
I use Extreme Weapons Lube grease on mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top