Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2021 6:29:09 PM EDT
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I was unable to find it here.

If I purchase a Sig FCU (just the receiver portion of a Sig P320), does that count as a stripped lower, just as a stripped AR-15 would be?

My home state does not technically have a registry, but the state police do keep a database of sales for all firearms (stripped lowers and long arms are not defined as "firearms" in my state).  Having a stripped lower would keep my name off of that database, and I would be able to purchase the remaining parts to build it into a pistol.

I've always wondered why more companies don't sell receivers separately for just this reason.  And Sig could market and sell PCC kits to build based on this receiver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The FCU for the Sig P320 is the serialized “frame”, and ATF considers it as the “firearm”, just as it does the stripped lower for an AR-15.  I’m not sure how your state would classify it, or if they would keep record of the sale.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
A child could save its allowance and buy the plastic grip body of a P320.

This is the "firearm"...  the serial numbered firearm.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FCU for the Sig P320 is the serialized “frame”, and ATF considers it as the “firearm”, just as it does the stripped lower for an AR-15.  I’m not sure how your state would classify it, or if they would keep record of the sale.
View Quote

I understand a of that perfectly well.  Yes, the receiver is a "firearm" as defined by federal law, and I would need to fill out a 4473 and go through a background check to purchase one through am FFL.

*However*

My state (PA) requires additional paperwork for what it defines as a "firearm" (long arms and stripped receivers are exempt from this as they don't fall under my state's definition of "firearm").  This form is recorded and placed into a state-wide database of sales, which is essentially the same thing as a registry.  My hope is that the paperwork attached to a P320 FCU would be no different from purchasing a stripped AR lower, sidestepping the "registration" of a "firearm" as defined by PA law.

That's what I was asking about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I understand a of that perfectly well.  Yes, the receiver is a "firearm" as defined by federal law, and I would need to fill out a 4473 and go through a background check to purchase one through am FFL.

*However*

My state (PA) requires additional paperwork for what it defines as a "firearm" (long arms and stripped receivers are exempt from this as they don't fall under my state's definition of "firearm").  This form is recorded and placed into a state-wide database of sales, which is essentially the same thing as a registry.  My hope is that the paperwork attached to a P320 FCU would be no different from purchasing a stripped AR lower, sidestepping the "registration" of a "firearm" as defined by PA law.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*However*

Then you should probably ask this question on the PA Hometown Forum where more people may be familiar with the ins and outs of your state's firearm laws.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Pennsylvania/14/
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
So you’re going to go fill out a 4473 and get a NICS check done for it and you’re worried about staying out of a database...

Just transfer it and call it a day. Sig also only sells the new custom shop FCU as stand alones so if it’s anything other than that it left Sig is a pistol, therefor is a pistol and needs to be transferred as one.

Pro tip: You can buy a whole damn gun for about $100 more than what you’re going to pay for a stripped FCU and parts kit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It'll transfer to you as an "other" which IIRC means the PSP's check is involved as well.  Been about 12 years though since I bought a gun in PA.

I thought all "other" were routed through the PSP....maybe I'm mis-remembering.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
By federal law it should be sold as a receiver (the other firearm box on the 4473).  But the colt oem's models should have been sold as pistols and were not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m with OP here.

I grew up over the line in MD.

You would not believe the times over the years that the MD police mis-used, mis-understood, and generally botched the gun-related data that they - Maryland - personally collected.

If OP wants to avoid PA’s keystone-cops, while following all laws, I say more power to him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Just purchase one of these pieces of mangled sheet metal and avoid all red tape:

Attachment Attached File

http://80percentguys.com/80-Sig-P320-Compatible-Insert-Modular-Universal-Pistol-1-00061.htm

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Why don't you move to a noncommunist state. Changes laws on a whim to insure demtards are in control to ruin the country. They have surveillance cameras watching everyone all the time should rename it big brother central.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top