Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2018 8:15:27 PM EDT

Test Gun: Smith and Wesson model 65.

Barrel length: 3 inches.

Ammunition: Sig .357 Magnum 125gr V-Crown.

Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.

Distance: 10 feet.

Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.

Five shot velocity average: 1219fps.

Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

The Sig V-Crown continues to disappoint. I got a five-round average velocity of 1219fps with a high of 1238fps and a low of 1192fps.

The first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 1204fps and penetrated to 21.5 inches. Expansion at the point where the two pieces of jackets were sticking out was .58 inches but was only .42 inches at the body. Recovered weight was 124 grains.  Round two hit at 1218fps, penetrated to 20 inches and expanded to .54 inches and had a recovered weight of 124.6 grains.

In the heavy clothed gel, the first round had a velocity of 1292fps and penetrated to 23 inches. The recovered weight was 125 grains with no expansion. The second round also penetrated 23 inches. Had a recovered weight of 125 grains and no expansion. It had a velocity of 1201fps.

Both bullets were recovered base forward.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the_professional] [#1]
I won't lie, when I saw the abysmal performance in bare gel, I was afraid to scroll down to the clothing shots. Then, I scrolled down...and I enjoyed a good hearty laugh.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]
They must test with an 8" barrel or something to be 200 fps slower.

Very disappointing in a Sierra bullet as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
In the bottom picture the bullet on the right looks like it has a very shallow hollow point cavity. Is that denim or is the cavity real shallow?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the cavity. The one on the left has some clothing in it but the one on right doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting those results.  I avoid anything Sig after what they did in regards to support for the 556 rifles and will continue to buy either Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot ammo for whatever caliber I need self-defense ammo for.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 5pins:
That's the cavity. The one on the left has some clothing in it but the one on right doesn't.
View Quote
Thanks!

I wonder if that's a contributing factor in the poor performance?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top