Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 11:16:27 AM EDT
does anyone use these for competitions? please let me know what type and model you are using.
I am looking at a DA/SA for Competition.
Thanks all
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't compete with mine yet but I can offer some basic feedback.

I have a box stock MK25 and M11-A1. The MK25 is a P226 ovbiously and the M11-A1 is built on the 229-1 ( I think that's what it's called ) frame.

The M11-A1 has a SRT trigger stock, with a shorter reach/thinner trigger. I can run the M11 alot faster with the upgraded trigger and recoil is rather tame.

If I was going to run a P series sig in IDPA ect I would have an SRT set installed at a minimum.

The DA/SA trigger is what it is. Dry fire is free to practice and personally Im more accurate with them than my Glock.

Your mileage may vary
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't compete. But if i did i would use a P226 Legion. JMHO
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I ran my P229 in .40 for a while in 3-gun. But I found I was at a reload disadvantage with 12 rounds per mag. Most stages were kinda geared towards having 15 round mags. So I started using a SP2022 in 9mm. I'd still bring the P229 if the steel targets were set up where 9 wasn't dropping them in one hit. These days I carry a P320 Carry, so I've got 17 rounds on tap.

So I guess it depends on how the competition is set up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Better guns available for that purpose but if you already have one or plan to get one cheap they will work.

For what it’s worth I shoot a 9mm 226 in limited minor USPSA, so basically I’m not competitive but it’s fun.

For production division you are restricted to 10 rounds in a mag anyway and 9mm sa/da rules the division so swap the sights for Dawson fiber optics and rock on.

I don’t know how 3 gun rules work but I’m sure you’d have to be really good for the gun to be holding you back.

Serious competitors seem to use cz shadow or 2011 based guns FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The 226 guys who shoot USPSA and IPDA with me always seem to end up lusting after some variation of the CZ75.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah I have been doing looking too and the CZ Shadow looks sweat too
argh too many guns so little cash
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Very rarely see them in production.

Production is largely a sea of striker guns.

Most major brands have off the shelf models for it.
There are a ton of aftermarket triggers for them as well.

SIG DA/SA guns erg, etc. wise never seemed to be that popular, despite being a fine service/duty model of the era.

The 92 was a favored DA/SA gun for a while in production, but Beretta was not responsive to the market.  CZ picked up and is in a lot of winners hands.

The DA/SA guns offered the con of the first shot with better SA pulls over striker guns.

Some of the striker guns now offer ridulous triggers akin to SA or lighter with no safety.  Yet the weight of a steel CZ still overall offers an advantage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, were I to use a Sig in USPSA, I would use a Tacops 226 for capacity.

I have one with a threaded bbl, love it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
The only remotely competitive class for a 226 would be production, where you can have ten rounds in a mag at the start.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I used a P226 Legion SAO for a while in both USPSA and Steel Challenge matches (Limited Division due to SAO). Worked GREAT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I started in USPSA and Steel Challenge using my M11-A1 in the production division. No issues at all using it.
My GF uses the 226 in the same matches.
I've since moved to the 320 platform, no particular reason. Might go back to the M11 this year as it is my EDC and could use the practice with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a DA/SA 226 in IDPA and I'm quite happy with it. I installed the SRT kit, and some underpowered hammer springs. I bought a 19, 18, and 17lb spring set from wolff I think. The 17lb has been nice but last couple of matches I've had some misfires so i'm bumping up to a heavier spring.

And I'd recommend going easy on the dry-firing or use snap caps. I used to dry fire a bunch and eventually the firing pin beat its retaining roll pin to death. A piece broke off in the firing pin channel and made the gun inop.
Learn from my mistake
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
does anyone use these for competitions? please let me know what type and model you are using.
I am looking at a DA/SA for Competition.
Thanks all
View Quote
Friends don't let friends buy sigs for competition unless sig is paying you like they pay max.

Get a CZ and call it a day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only place that tacops' capacity would even remotely help you would be limited.  and you'd get loved tenderly by everyone that's shooting a .40 with 140mm mags.

you can get away with 9 in SS, not in limited.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]
OP it would help to know what organization and division you want to shoot in plus your goal. Be comptetitive or just going out to improve your shooting skills.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yeah I have been doing looking too and the CZ Shadow looks sweat too
argh too many guns so little cash
View Quote
If you're serious, or semi serious about USPSA, A shadow2, shadow(1) custom, or tanfo limpro or stock2 would suit you the best.  These are guns that you can carry from nothing to GM.

Prod is a great division to cut your teeth on, or choose to specialize and excel in, in USPSA.  Heavy focus on the academics (stage planning, footwork, reloads, accuracy) and plenty of competition make that division fun as hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top