Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2022 2:49:53 PM EDT
Looking at pistol hp.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sierra has made bullets for reloading a long time.
GTG
What caliber?
Compare weight and velocity. Expansion requires higher velocity.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
??From The Outhouse To The Penthouse??? Sierra 9mm AMMO "2.0"

I noticed the PSA deal earlier in the e-mail. If these are the new rounds, it should be GTG. If it's the old stuff they're selling off, buyer beware.

Worst Hollow Point Ever? 9mm Sierra Outdoor Master 115 vs 124 Grain Ballistic Gel Test!

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I also saw the deal at PSA and ordered 200 rounds of the 45 JHP. The deal + rebate +free shipping brings the price down cheaper than cheap FMJ so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll be using them just for range work and hoping that the Sierra bullets are accurate. They usually are very accurate so we'll see if they screwed something up.

I'm hoping they load on the milder side like the 9mm I saw reviewed in the post above.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also saw the deal at PSA and ordered 200 rounds of the 45 JHP. The deal + rebate +free shipping brings the price down cheaper than cheap FMJ so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll be using them just for range work and hoping that the Sierra bullets are accurate. They usually are very accurate so we'll see if they screwed something up.

I'm hoping they load on the milder side like the 9mm I saw reviewed in the post above.
View Quote

I got a chance to shoot some of that Sierra 185gr 45ACP. It's GTG. Ran 100% and accurate. The ammo looks good also, no dents, dings, or weird discoloration etc. Each one looks identical and clean. Recoil was moderate and this is not a "hot" load. Sierra's website lists the velocity at 995fps and that felt about right. It "felt" the same as the Federal and S&B 230 FMJ I was also shooting (in a Sig P220). With the gigantic JHP cavity, this bullet will not need much velocity to open. It may be a good lite penetration, lite recoil" load.

I even ordered another 200 from PSA since they still had the free shipping (came to $117 delivered for the 200 rounds not counting the $50 rebate). I dont think I could find cheap FMJ for cheaper.

I dont know how this experience translates to other calibers. The OP was probably asking about the 9mm version which I have NOT tried.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I had several malfunctions with the 45 acp 185gr in a Springfield 1911 that has never failed before. Failures to feed in a new Wilson 10 round mag. It seemed to run fine from 7/8 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had several malfunctions with the 45 acp 185gr in a Springfield 1911 that has never failed before. Failures to feed in a new Wilson 10 round mag. It seemed to run fine from 7/8 rounders.
View Quote

That bullet profile is probably the culprit. It's got that huge HP with relatively sharp shoulders rather than a rounded profile.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top